2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
r1card0 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I don't know what to think, in one side I really like the sound of the piano and the color, but in the other I don't know if the seller deceived me or didn't know (which I think is what happened), since they buy batches from the USA. Also why do white pianos become harder to sell? I thought white pianos were the nicest looking maybe just after black ones

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
I didn't know about the general unpopularity of white pianos until reading about it here, but it's been mentioned numerous times. In the U.S., they've apparently sold better in certain geographic areas like Florida where they complement pastel colors often used in interior decorating.

It's just a matter of economics and consumer taste. Many people consider a black finish essential, others prefer the natural look of mahogany or walnut, and relatively few people find white appealing (or compatible with the rest of their furnishings). And just about everybody draws the line at the kinds of outlandish colors that makers occasionally introduce (like Gibson did since taking control of Baldwin).

Steven

R
r1card0 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Hmm I WANTED a white piano even before buying, I just thought it looked more elegant like the Elton John one or John Lennon's piano

V
V
In regards to the color and general outward appearance of the piano, all that is really important is that the owner likes it. And you do, so be happy! I think most people just don't think the white will look as good in their home, even though they don't dislike the look of a white piano in general. I think pianos look nice in white, myself.

In regards to the brand of the piano, I was once advised on this forum that brand isn't everything when dealing with vintage pianos. It's better to have a Howard that has been maintained and has a lot of life left in it than a worn-out and/or abused Baldwin Artist. Besides, Howards are good instruments and are made by Baldwin. I have owned two of them myself. One was a studio from the early 40's. The "Howard" stencil was so faded as to be nearly unreadable, but the "product of Baldwin" stencil was very clear. Something similar may have been the case with this piano. When it was painted white (since that was certainly not the original color) the painter may have only been able to make out that it was made by Baldwin and assumed that the unreadable stencil in the center had also said "Baldwin." Furthermore, I also at one time owned a 1969 upright which had the Baldwin nameplate in the center and a smaller nameplate off to the side which said Howard. Even the iron plate inside was stamped simply "Baldwin" (not product of Baldwin or Howard by Baldwin). I always thought of it as a Baldwin piano (and it was a very good piano). What I HAVE noticed about vintage Howards is that the cases are always very plain. I think much of the reason they were cheaper pianos has to do with the plain case. Some will argue with me on that, I'm sure. Bottom line, if the tech says it's in good condition and sounds good, and you like the sound and feel of it, I think you can be happy with your purchase. I would love to own a grand myself, but have to be happy with a studio upright.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi r1cardo,

It seems like must of the forum members posting in this thread were very sensitive to your feelings or to make random assumptions about the piano.
Nevertheless I guess you came here looking for a straight forward answer. In my opinion and using a bit of common sense, I want to say that if you purchased that piano for a couple thousand from a "Store" I got bad news for you. That is not a good sign. In my opinion and by my standards as piano dealer; you have a really limited musical instrument.
I hope that you can get your money back or sell it. Hopefully you'll be able to put your money on a better piano instead of throwing good after bad.
I'm sorry but looks like you got the short-end of the stick on this deal.

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
r1cardo, it may be that your tech simply saw no reason to make you aware that what you were told was untrue. It could be a kindness on his part.

In any event, I would like to echo the sentiment that a well-maintained and lightly used older piano of lower original quality may be better than one that was originally very fine but was heavily used or not maintained. If you have bought a piano you like playing and listening to for a reasonable price, you did OK. Enjoy it.

Michael

====

He is so solemn, detached and uninvolved he makes Mr. Spock look like Hunter S. Thompson at closing time.'
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Ricardo, I second what mikhailoh said. Regardless of what the seller did or did not know about the piano, YOU like the sound of it; YOU like the color of it; and YOU paid what you considered a fair price for it. It sounds like you bought a piano you like and shouldn't really worry about its brand or lack thereof. In an older piano condition is much more important than pedigree. Enjoy your piano, make music, and be happy. Not everyone can afford or wants a top tier new piano. Many of us can be or must be happy with lesser instruments.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If you like the piano and want to keep it, you might contact the seller and say that it was misrepresented and ask for an adjustment to the price. You can be clear that you understand that it was a mistake on his part, and not intentional deception.

Semipro Tech
BDB #1222564 06/25/09 11:12 AM
R
r1card0 Offline OP
OP Offline
R
I'll have to talk to the seller and see what he has to say. Overall I'm happy with the piano, but I think I should ask for some money back as the seller sold it to me as a Baldwin and the price was based on the assumption that it was indeed a Baldwin

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission