2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Who's Online Now
48 members (Auraltuner, Burkey, Bett, cmb13, BrokenSymmetry, Alexander Acosta, 1957, calenadariel, accordeur, 13 invisible), 358 guests, and 386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Rarely Tuned Piano Worth Tuning? - New Player
ChasT #1221734 06/23/09 05:33 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by ChasT

You haven't said, but I'm assuming it hasn't been played much and still looks good cosmetically. If you'll get us the serial number, I'm sure somebody here will find the model for you.

Charles

As I mentioned in an earlier response, it basically hasn't been played since 1983.

Cosmetically, it looks good except for one small 1/4" nick caused by a jacket zipper catching the lip of the piano, as I was getting off the bench, years ago..

Marty in Minnesota #1221738 06/23/09 05:34 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Marty in Minnesota
Geronimomoe,

Is it a gift to the grandchildren or would it be a purchase from your parents?

That would put it all in a different light. The assumption is being made that the piano is a gift, but, you have never stated that.

It would be a gift from the grandparents, thankfully!

Marty in Minnesota #1221741 06/23/09 05:37 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by lilylady

Textbooks was the reference BDB!

Lilylady,
Actually, it wasn't. It was "50 yr old used books." We don't know what you were thinking...

Actually, yes it was, Marty.

You are correct, dear Marty, that I did not say text books directly the first time and corrected that henceforth because that was my intended reference.

"Would you want your children to have 50 yr old used books in school or the latest of technology with computers, a well stocked library and science labs? Just mentioned for an educational comparison!!!"

But in reference to computers, libraries, science labs, etc - all things included in the school systems, I thought text books was a given!

I'll be more careful next time.

I still stand by my thoughts though - good instrument for beginners to play on is just as important as a good instrument for advanced players.

Are we having a fight? LOL! If so, I'll continue. If not, well then the OP seems to have understood my suggestions and that is what counts!!!

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
lilylady #1221752 06/23/09 05:48 PM
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
One could learn a lot by comparing modern textbooks to 50 year old ones! It will not always be clear which is better.

Semipro Tech
BDB #1221756 06/23/09 05:57 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
One could learn a lot by comparing modern textbooks to 50 year old ones! It will not always be clear which is better.

HA! Maybe it is a fight afterall!!!

I love the names of those old African countries!

Wink wink! wink wink

But back to the old Baldwin...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and life to everything."
lilylady #1221844 06/23/09 09:30 PM

Platinum Supporter until October 5 2014
1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Geronimomoe,

You can't ask for a better price. Can there possibly be a better deal than free?

Baldwins from the 70's-80's are very good solid pianos. Unless the piano was subjected to some sort of unusual event, they remain good instruments.

Relax and just enjoy the gift. There is no reason to suspect it wouldn't hold a decent tuning.

A console isn't all that heavy. Unless there are a lot of stairs involved, if you have a friend with a pick-up or van, and some other friends who are fit, four dudes can easily move a console without much effort. The only cost is pizza and beer - LOL

If you didn't take the piano, would it offend your parents? They are trying to do something very kind for their grand children and for you. That is also a consideration.

No matter the tunings, that is SOP, the piano will cost less $$$ than buying new at this time. Despite what has previously been stated, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a beginner practicing on a 1980 Baldwin console.

Newer is not always better.

Marty in Minnesota
BDB #1221865 06/23/09 11:18 PM
S
S
Originally Posted by BDB

Definitely true! In many subjects there is actually a substantial amount of information that can be found in older textbooks that does not get included in newer editions. Textbook editors try to keep the number of pages in the book relatively constant across different editions so whenever new information is added something else is typically abridged or outright eliminated.

SteveG_CT #1221882 06/24/09 12:14 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Gosh, I've been ordering books lately on piano technique written eighty and a hundred years ago (no store has them, of course). After reading that long and hilarious thread on "Contrived Theatrics" in Pianist Corner, I thought maybe I'd better try to learn something from the old school, when the piano was still the piano. Some relatively milder quotes:

"She was drenched in sweat,her hair and dress clinging to her body, grunting like a weight lifter. I had to close my eyes."

"His movements reminded me of someone with Tourette's Symdrome, chorea, or some other tic. Other than that, he plays really well."

http://www.pianoworld.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1219941/Contrived%20Theatrics.html#Post1219941

But a wise and kind person said that these piano whiz kids may actually be more eccentric than we think, just because of the demanding nature of getting where they are. So, I didn't feel so left out with my reading. I don't play much that's under a hundred years old either.

But ok, this old piano. It may be ok to get it fixed up, if it was good to begin with and hasn't been abused. A little scratch, who cares? Make the grandparents happy, good job. But one thing I didn't hear Geronimomo say, is that he likes this piano. What about that? You may end up grunting like a weight lifter, or twitching like a porch lizard, or living in some kind of time warp to make this music thing happen, but you've got to love it. Then it might be worthwhile. Same goes for the piano: getting them is one story, but keeping them is never all that easy. Got to love it. Do you?

Clef

geronimomoe #1222040 06/24/09 09:22 AM
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by geronimomoe

The children will be beginning students hence the hope to use the Baldwin. Thing is her soon to be teacher prefer's Steinway or Boston.... She doesn't care much for Yamaha...

This sounds like someone who hasn't shopped for a piano in 30 years. It's very easy to say, "I prefer Steinway." The problem is only a few can afford them. Yamaha makes fine pianos though they may not be to everyone's taste. Does this teacher know that Boston pianos are actually made by Kawai?

The good news is the Baldwin is (was) a respected brand. I'm sure your teacher will think it's fine as a starter piano.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
Jeff Clef #1222185 06/24/09 02:36 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef

But ok, this old piano. It may be ok to get it fixed up, if it was good to begin with and hasn't been abused. A little scratch, who cares? Make the grandparents happy, good job. But one thing I didn't hear Geronimomo say, is that he likes this piano. What about that? You may end up grunting like a weight lifter, or twitching like a porch lizard, or living in some kind of time warp to make this music thing happen, but you've got to love it. Then it might be worthwhile. Same goes for the piano: getting them is one story, but keeping them is never all that easy. Got to love it. Do you?

Do I "love it"? Like it, wouldn't call it "Love".. Love the price. If we are able to go ahead with it, I'm sure hoping it's tuneable. Right now in the higher octaves it has a "tinging" sound that just turns me off though...

Steve Chandler #1222190 06/24/09 02:41 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler

This sounds like someone who hasn't shopped for a piano in 30 years. It's very easy to say, "I prefer Steinway." The problem is only a few can afford them. Yamaha makes fine pianos though they may not be to everyone's taste. Does this teacher know that Boston pianos are actually made by Kawai?

The good news is the Baldwin is (was) a respected brand. I'm sure your teacher will think it's fine as a starter piano.

Well, I don't know when she bought her piano but it's a Steinway grand and she said she paid 75K for it.

The teacher wanted to interview my daughter first before she would agree to take her as a student. She's been teaching for 40 odd years so she appears to be no-nonsense and that's what we've been told by a parent of one of her students, who actually referred us to her.

Yes, she explained that Kawai actually makes the Boston and that it's a "designed by Steinway", to Steinway spec's.

Last edited by geronimomoe; 06/24/09 02:51 PM.
Marty in Minnesota #1222199 06/24/09 02:50 PM
G
OP Offline
G

A console isn't all that heavy. Unless there are a lot of stairs involved, if you have a friend with a pick-up or van, and some other friends who are fit, four dudes can easily move a console without much effort. The only cost is pizza and beer - LOL

As a round figure, how much would it weigh? 350lbs?

geronimomoe #1222233 06/24/09 03:47 PM
V
V
I would guess 400, maybe 450, for a console. It is possible to move it with a pick-up, but be careful to tie it down really well or it can get bounced around a bit. It's better to have a trailer or moving van if you are going very far at all. (speaking out of my memory of yesterday, driving behind a spinet tied in the back of a pick-up and watching it lurch around a bit on every little bump -- painful to watch, very painful!)

I think the teacher is a little out of line expecting you to buy a Steinway or a Boston. I can tell you that you aren't likely to practice on anything that nice in a college practice room -- even if you are a piano major. Yet, students still make progress on the practice room pianos (I did). Recent Yamahas, by the way, are very fine pianos, and you will find that the majority of pianists will agree with that statement.

The tinging sound you mention may be due to the fact that the upper octaves on a piano do not have any dampers and so will ring longer than the notes lower down. Plus, those keys are likely to have gone further out of tune than the notes in the middle. It's hard to judge how good or bad a piano sounds until it is in tune. I'm not sure it matters if YOU love the piano since it will be your children playing it. I'm not sure very many children who have not yet learned to play, ever really love a piano either. But if they find the piano appealing both in sound and appearance, they are more likely to want to practice on it. Frankly, I would expect a Baldwin of that age that has not been abused would be appealing to any child once tuned.

geronimomoe #1222317 06/24/09 07:29 PM

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by geronimomoe

As a round figure, how much would it weigh? 350lbs?

It would be closer to 200-275 lbs. for a Baldwin console. A Steinway-M weighs 435 lbs. In high school, my piano buddy and I moved an Acrosonic console around all the time when we wanted to play side by side when learing concertos.

Marty in Minnesota
Marty in Minnesota #1222342 06/24/09 08:30 PM
P
P
435? A Steinway M weighs 560 if Steinway's website is to be believed. Even my little Wurli spinet runs over three bills. That aside, the original point stands - two strong men can move a piano the size of that Baldwin on any flat surface no problem as long as there aren't any big lifts or drops or stairs. Those need an extra guy or two. A dolly would be a work saver though.

You don't love the Baldwin because it's a mile and a half out of tune. Fix that, and you'll like it much better.

Last edited by pd1500; 06/24/09 08:37 PM.
pd1500 #1222487 06/25/09 08:04 AM

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
I have no clue what the Steinway website states. I am going by the weight of what I paid for cartage from a moving company.

It is a simple formula: labor + weight + mileage. My S&S-M weighed in at 435 lbs. on the truck scale.

Has your "little Wurli spinet" ever been weighed or is that merely a guess?

Marty in Minnesota
Marty in Minnesota #1222555 06/25/09 10:54 AM
P
P
Either your cartage guy cut you a break or his scale is out of whack. I'm inclined to believe manufacturer specs over one anecdote. And as for your question, the spinet overloaded an accurate 300lb digital scale, so that's as close to an answer as I can give you on that.

What does any of this have to do with the price of tea in China anyway? The OP wants to know how much work it's going to be to move a Baldwin. I think you gave him a reasonable answer to that question, even if the irrelevant numbers were a touch on the low side.

ChasT #1223276 06/26/09 06:32 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Originally Posted by ChasT
If you'll get us the serial number, I'm sure somebody here will find the model for you.

Charles

Okay. I just had the piano tuned. The guy is a member of the PTG, Registerd Craftsman. He said the piano is in great condition.

Serial number is 1213009. The thing is there was a double stamp so I'm not sure if it's 11213009 or 1213009.

So any information about this Baldwin piano would be appreciated!

Thx to all!

Last edited by geronimomoe; 06/26/09 07:26 PM.
geronimomoe #1223294 06/26/09 07:27 PM

1000 Post Club Member

1000 Post Club Member
Geronimomoe,

I'm going to be blunt.

Have you now played the piano since it was tuned? It's a gift from your parents! It got a thumbs up from a qualified tuner/tech, so why not just move the damn thing.

Stop fretting about its history as you already know what it is!

Accept the excellent gift which is being provided to you and your family.

Marty in Minnesota
Marty in Minnesota #1223358 06/26/09 10:16 PM
G
OP Offline
G
Marty,

I'm going to move the piano, for sure. I was looking more for the model and weight of the piano as I have no clue what it is..

smile

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Our October 2020 Free Piano Newsletter is Here!
---------------------
3,000,000+!
------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Anthony Hopkins / National Cat Day
by MH1963 - 10/29/20 09:38 PM
Passable new string
by LemonColor - 10/29/20 09:06 PM
Faure Improvization
by cmb13 - 10/29/20 08:45 PM
Once upon a time there was a real Gors and Kallman
by Lady Bird - 10/29/20 07:01 PM
Practice advice
by 3B43 - 10/29/20 06:01 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics202,484
Posts3,018,571
Members99,068
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission