2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., Joseph Fleetwood, David B, 8 invisible), 1,265 guests, and 296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
atsuko Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi! My 5 year old is interested in taking piano lessons and I was wondering what the consensus is among the teachers on the methods used? Would it be best to do a combination of Suzuki and traditional methods or just stick with one or the other. I found that the ones thru the piano shops only offered traditional while the schools I found offered a combination. Any thoughts?

Also is the experience of the teacher key or are there other ways to find out who is the best teacher? I think it's really hard judging on a first meeting even with a lesson especially for a child and I'd appreciate some input. I would really love for my daughter to excel at this. I think it's in her blood.

Thanks for all of your help!

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by atsuko
I would really love for my daughter to excel at this. I think it's in her blood.

Isn't music in everyone's blood?

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by landorrano

Are you kidding???

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Hi! My 5 year old is interested in taking piano lessons and I was wondering what the consensus is among the teachers on the methods used? Would it be best to do a combination of Suzuki and traditional methods or just stick with one or the other. I found that the ones thru the piano shops only offered traditional while the schools I found offered a combination. Any thoughts?

Also is the experience of the teacher key or are there other ways to find out who is the best teacher? I think it's really hard judging on a first meeting even with a lesson especially for a child and I'd appreciate some input. I would really love for my daughter to excel at this. I think it's in her blood.

Hi, there:

You will find in this forum (if you do the search function) that the topic of Suzuki vs. "traditional" piano teaching methods has been covered before.

My position has always been "it depends on the teacher." One of my close friends is a Suzuki teacher for piano, and she has given me wonderful insights on piano pedagogy. On the other hand, I've taught many transfer students who started with Suzuki instruction, but ended up with many common bad habits, such as poor sight reading skills, not keeping their eyes on the score, too much memorizing, and too much attention to producing beautiful tone (at the expense of speed and dexterity).

If the teacher is capable, any method should work, really.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AZNpiano
Originally Posted by landorrano

Are you kidding???

It's a matter of degree. For the same reason, there are some people who hate sports, all sports, but I would wager that most people would at least like to be good at something. It's just that their interest is not likely to award them with any kind of unusual success, even with a lot of work. smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

You've already received good answers - "It depends"

Please provide some additional information. Where are you located? What kind of piano do you have, upright or grand? Is it in very good condition and tuned? Why do you think your daughter is ready to take lessons? What kind of musical activities do you do in your home? What kind of music do you and your family listen to? Do you play the piano? How advanced are you? What kind of practice environment will there be?

Can you tell us more by what you mean, "Music is in your daughter's blood?" Are you wanting her to win piano competitions? Are you wanting a music career for her?

These are the kinds of questions you should be prepared to answer for a serious teacher. Hope this helps,

John

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Music is in everyone's blood. That's pretty much the whole point of what Kodaly, Bartok, Villa-Lobos, and Suzuki spent their lives doing.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
A
atsuko Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi John!!
We're in Rockville MD.
We just got a Kawaii K3 upright. It will be tuned once it's delivered.
Lana has expressed interest in the piano for a while now. She has always enjoyed playing with a variety of regular instruments -trumpet, drums, keyboard, pick harp, recorder as well as the ipu.
She has very good finger coordination and can mimic us playing the keyboard with only one hand or the other as well as both.
We listen to a huge variety of music...classical, rock, jazz, hawaiian.
My husband plays the piano and a ton of other instruments. I play the clarinet. He's been playing piano since he was a child, but he's not that serious. His whole family plays music. He's dedicated to practicing with Lana. I'm in charge of the hula. smile

As for my comment, it's more that I can tell that she loves music and has the ability and talent to do it well. I surely hope that she will win many piano competitions, but I want her to grow up to be a surgeon and a mommy.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
That is very useful information. Thanks for sharing. That is also the type of information a prospective teacher needs and should be asking. If they don't, move on without regret.

I don't know teachers in your area, although my daughter in law lived there and took lessons, I doubt her teacher is still with us. However, you are in an area rich with highly competent teachers, so I would not rush into lessons, just because she is ready. Teacher selection is really important.

I have recently become acquainted with a school in your area, the Levine School, with a roster of 40 or 50 carefully selected teachers. It is not cheap, roughly $90/hr of instruction. But one hour of good instruction is better than ten hours of mediocre instruction. Consider an interview with them. You can visit their web site here.

Perhaps other teachers who visit this forum will send you a private mail (PM) with recommendations.

Good luck.

John

PS I'm biased, but I'd recommend the classical standard approach. I've had too many problems with Suzuki transfer students who suffered at the hands of less than sterling teachers.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Leonid Hambro told me that when he was a child his dad booked lessons with at least half a dozen teachers in the Chicago area, sat in with them, and chose whom he considered the best. It obviously worked.

A
atsuko Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for your thoughtful reply John. I have heard of Levine. The problem is that they recommend group lessons for kids under 7 years old and I think my daughter would benefit from private lessons.

KBK, I think I should do the same. I think like alot of things not only technical things matter, but also the chemisty.

Here is a list of certified teachers of piano in MD:

http://www.mtnacertification.org/Fi...tate_province/MD/area/Piano/Default.aspx

It's great that you want your daughter to take piano lessons and you have a beautiful piano!

Just curious, what if she doesn't want to be a surgeon? =)

MTNA Nationally Certified Teacher of Music, Piano
Member: College of Examiners, Royal Conservatory of Music (Toronto, ON)
Member: MTNA, OhioMTA, SW District OhioMTA
Board Member: American Eurhythmics Society
Owner, Piano Sensei
www.pianosensei.com

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission