2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (benkeys, 1200s, aphexdisklavier, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 10 invisible), 1,847 guests, and 269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1219806 06/19/09 08:03 PM
OP Offline
Hi, I wanted to ask you;

Is there an order in which I should learn Inventions or is it simply from #1 to #15?

Thanks

Eunyoung

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
This topic has been covered before - try doing a search.

To answer your question briefly, you should follow your teacher's guidance first and foremost. Most teachers find #4, #1, #8 among the easiest. Anyway, unless you have an edition with the subjects and counter points printed out for you, you'll either need such an edition or your teacher's help learning how to look for them, and how to play them.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Most players start with a two-part invention first, because two voices are obviously easier to control than three. The one in D major is a common starting point (sorry I don't have my book in front of me or I would give you the number). When you can do the 2-parts well, you can move on to the 3-parts. They're fun to play and are great preparation for playing the fugues. Have fun!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The D major (#3) is more difficult than the d minor (#4); I'd recommend saving it for later on. The Sinfonias (3 part) are considerably more difficult than the Inventions. I'd recommend holding off on those until you can play some of the French Suites, at least.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
C
C
Is it better for students to learn all 15? Or just choose some of them is good enough?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Learn them all. They were compiled in diatonic scale order - C d e F G a b Bb A g f E Eb D c.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
Learn them all. They were compiled in diatonic scale order - C d e F G a b Bb A g f E Eb D c.

Care to explain the "diatonic scale order" further?

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
They first appear in the Clavier-Büchlein for Wilhelm Friedemann Bach in that order (vaguely in the order of difficulty) though I doubt they were composed specifically for it (they're just to darn good).

I don't have any students who can do an invention yet. But we have started some Minuets. I find these inventions very challenging and I love playing them.

M. Katchur
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keyboardklutz
They first appear in the Clavier-Büchlein for Wilhelm Friedemann Bach in that order (vaguely in the order of difficulty) though I doubt they were composed specifically for it (they're just to darn good).

So does that mean No. 2 (C minor) was intended to be the hardest??? Maybe if you play that piece at Presto con fuoco, but I've been playing it (and teaching it) at Largo. My favorite invention!!

That's the order Bach taught them in, but bear in mind they were also composition texts.

OP Offline
Thank you all for your replies.
Wow, you guys are very nice.

So, the order Bach taught his students is #1 to #15 after all these uneven difficulties between each of inventions?
Sorry, I don't have a teacher, and I am a very beginnier in Bach music. So please bear with my stupid(seriously) questions, and forgive me if I misunderstood you.

Inventions I've completed (that doesn't mean I don't make mistakes. Needs a lot more work) are:
#1,2,3,4,6,8,10,13 and 14.
Almost done with #5 and 9.
The rest are almost untouched. (#7,11,12 and 15)

I asked this question so that I will know the order to finish the ones left. Also I would like to polish all the pieces in the proper order.

By the way, I am not clear about the concepts of two parts and three parts very well, either. Is it simply for "two hands" and "three hands"?
My understanding is that in case of three hands, either LH or RH covers the third hand part, and that's why Sinfonias are harder.
You need someone's guidance on which hand plays the third part in each bar in each piece. And I'll need to learn something like French Suits first before Sinfonias, is that correct?

Thank you all again, and have a great weekend!

Last edited by CoffeeLover; 06/20/09 03:58 PM.
Originally Posted by CoffeeLover

So, the order Bach taught his students is #1 to #15 after all these uneven difficulties between each of inventions?
No, he taught them in this order: C d e F G a b Bb A g f E Eb D c.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
The German name which Bach gave these studies was Inventionen und Sinfonien. The former, Inventions, were constructed using two parts which harmonize; each part uses the same subject (not theme) and counterpoints. The latter, which we often call 3 part inventions, uses three voices (parts) which harmonize, again using one subject and counterpoints, developed in each voice. Difficult to write, difficult to play. Bach loved doing this, and if I recall, managed to write either five or six part pieces for solo organ.

These were teaching pieces Bach wrote for family members, for the most part. There is a lot to learn in each which is not included on the printed page, but is passed from teacher to student. As soon as you can, I would encourage finding a teacher who can actually guide you through these.

C
C

By the way, I am not clear about the concepts of two parts and three parts very well, either. Is it simply for "two hands" and "three hands"?

I am just a parent, but I don't think this is right. Two parts means two voices (melody), you need to be able to show both voices when you play it. I think it is called counterpoint.

OP Offline
keyboardklutz, John v.d.Brook and C.Y.-

Thanks for your help!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi, I wanted to ask you;

Is there an order in which I should learn Inventions or is it simply from #1 to #15?

Thanks

Eunyoung

I don't think that the order is important.
My first invention was number 8, which is not the easiest one, but i really enjoyed playing it and i found it quite easy.
Just choose the one you like the most, or the one that you think could improve your technique the most.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

These were teaching pieces Bach wrote for family members, for the most part. There is a lot to learn in each which is not included on the printed page, but is passed from teacher to student. As soon as you can, I would encourage finding a teacher who can actually guide you through these.

One of the most valuble comments I have seen on these forums.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Before playing Bach Inventions, I would definitely play some of the short preludes and fugues and some selected movements from the French Suites.

I have found that difficulty is really an individual thing. I have students who think that 8 is really hard, but have no problem with the g minor.

I think the two most difficult are the Eb and the A major.

B.A., Piano, Piano Pegagogy, Music Ed.
M.M., Piano
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Minniemay
Before playing Bach Inventions, I would definitely play some of the short preludes and fugues and some selected movements from the French Suites.

I have found that difficulty is really an individual thing. I have students who think that 8 is really hard, but have no problem with the g minor.

I think the two most difficult are the Eb and the A major.

I wouldn't touch fugues (unless it is a 2-voice fugue) before the Inventions. Fugues are definitely difficult. Try bringing out the middle voice, which sometimes is bouncing back and forth between the hands.

I've taught the G minor Invention twice, and it is definitely one of the most difficult pieces in the set. The ornaments are just deadly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission