2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, 3 invisible), 1,342 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 47 of 47 1 2 45 46 47
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Just received my DVD order.

They are barely audible. No where near the quality of the on-line webcast. Nor are they any better than those videos posted on YouTube. I don't mind the no-frill packaging. But the below professional level audio quality is more than I can take. I am hugely disappointed.

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by newport

They are barely audible. No where near the quality of the on-line webcast. Nor are they any better than those videos posted on YouTube. I don't mind the no-frill packaging. But the below professional level audio quality is more than I can take. I am hugely disappointed.

I was going to order...now I need to find ways to save the streaming...

Thanks for telling us!

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

I would definitely contact them. Perhaps there were some technical problems in copying the DVDs. If they can't replace them with something of a better quality I would return them for a refund.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by pno

I was going to order...now I need to find ways to save the streaming...

I still hope the CD's I haven't received yet will be of a better quality.

Originally Posted by DameMyra
If they can't replace them with something of a better quality I would return them for a refund.

I wrote them a letter to complain but not sure I am prepared to give them any more hard time (unless they offer to). I am sure they are frustrated about what happened as well.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Already got a reply (3 hours after I sent them the email):

Feel free to mail it back and we will refund the cost of the DVDs . These are sold as unedited recordings; they were never intended to be or advertised as professional, studio-engineered products. In the fall, harmonia mundi will release CDs of all three medalists using selections that were performed at the competition but “cleaned up” to have the professional sound quality you are seeking.

Marcia Garoon
Van Cliburn Foundation
Director of Finance/Business Manager

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Already got a reply (3 hours after I sent them the email):

Feel free to mail it back and we will refund the cost of the DVDs . These are sold as unedited recordings; they were never intended to be or advertised as professional, studio-engineered products. In the fall, harmonia mundi will release CDs of all three medalists using selections that were performed at the competition but “cleaned up” to have the professional sound quality you are seeking.

Marcia Garoon
Van Cliburn Foundation
Director of Finance/Business Manager

If I understand the problem correctly, the issue has nothing to do with the editing, but simply that the recording level was set way too low. The probable reason for that is that most professional equipment is operating at a different level than consumer equipment, and somebody forgot to make the adjustment when producing the DVDs.

Ironically, the one and only commercial CD I ever bought that had this problem came from harmonia mundi, back in the early days of CDs.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

Which performances/performers did you get?

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i got some DVDs from them too but only watched one so far, which wasn't too bad and is audible for sure. but i agree the quality of picture and sound aren't exceptionally good. i surely will check the others to see if they're acceptable.

Originally Posted by Arghhh
For those who have access to the Naxos online music library, the prelims are all available to listen to.

Here's what's currently available in the Naxos Music Library, to which I subscribe:
http://www.rcblue.com/Misc/VanCliburnCompetition.png

I've listened to a few of these--they are all high-quality recordings.

BTW I can highly recommend the NML. I paid 225 USD for one year. I couldn't be more pleased.
http://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com

Kawai RX-2
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Ridicolosamente

Which performances/performers did you get?

I bought the Zhang DVDs and a whole bunch of other CDs.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianozuki

BTW I can highly recommend the NML. I paid 225 USD for one year. I couldn't be more pleased.
http://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com

Just want to put in an additional thumbs up for the Naxos Music Library. There's an amazing number of great recordings of basically every piece you can think of, from Baroque to 21st century. It's actually revolutionized the way I listen to music, and has opened my eyes to dozens of new composers and pieces I never would have listened to without it!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Vacatello playing an encore(not at the Cliburn)

Gershwin(arranged by Gershwin): The Man I Love

For those of you familiar with the score, notice how she plays the dotted the dotted 8ts as basically straight 8ths. I actually like it much better this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjEiZqs6p4&feature=related

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/22/09 10:13 AM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Vacatello playing an encore(not at the Cliburn)

Gershwin(arranged by Gershwin): The Man I Love

For those of you familiar with the score, notice how she plays the dotted 16ths as basically straight 8ths. I actually like it much better this way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHjEiZqs6p4&feature=related

Fantastic pianist... I'm still bitter!

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
When I voted, I saw that Vacatello was the most popular with the blind pianist lagging behind by less than a tenth of a percent... I guess she was more popular with the audience than with the judges.

"Nie Dam Sie!"
Hi, I am brand new to this forum.

I have read carefully your posts about the Van Cliburn 2009 and in particular about Nobu Tsujii.

I have read so many things, most of them absolutly amazing but a lot of them incredibly wrong.

1 - I would like to start with the suspect that Nobu could be "autistic". Well, since I am a doctor and a amateur pianist, I find this hypothesis incredibly wrong. I even read the critics in which there is the so sure approach to the handicapped pianist ! Well, an autistic is amimic, unable to feel emotions and above all to joke ! So enjoy the video in here (2008) so you could understand how far is the truth about Nobu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEE50V8O9DQ&feature=player_profilepage

2 - About the technique and the way he learndt to play piano. Who said he plays by ear ? This is a incredible lie ! He learndt to play piano according with the Brail method. So another big lie.

3 - I read about his problems to the incipit of a piano concerto or something like this in ensamble. Well, listening to how he playes in quintet at van Cliburn the Schumann E-flat Major Op 44 I could say exaclty the opposite !!!

Conclusion

When I listen to him for the very first time I didnt know he was blind and I said: "GOSH !!!! HE IS SUPERB ! Who is ?"

He is a 20 yold guy that got already the tech skill and interpretation more than older competitors attendin the Cliburn.

So put apart the enviness because he stay there not because is blind !!!

A last thing: I never listen a "Campanella" played as Nobu did !!!!! Just listen over and over to that interpretation !!! Over and over.

Thanks so much for reading me.

Luke

Music can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable.
Leonard Bernstein
J
J
I had my tickets for the competition from TicketFront.com . They were quite inexpensive . I really enjoyed it a lot with my friends

U
U
I know it's been a while since the Cliburn Competition, which I didn't follow due to other commitments. But the documentary "A Surprise in Texas" was shown earlier this month and I was captivated by it, especially the portrayal of Nobuyuki Tsujii. I am not as learned as some who posted on this thread apparent are, but I know good music when I hear it, and it takes a stout heart not to be moved by Tsujii's accomplishment.
If you admire Nobuyuki Tsujii, please allow me to invite you to visit this site that I put together as a repository of information on him and on his work: https://sites.google.com/site/nobufans/
You might just find a comment that you posted to this thread included (anonymously) in the "quotes" section on that site.

Page 47 of 47 1 2 45 46 47

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission