2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
72 members (20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, crab89, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 190 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 189 190
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Always Wanted to Play Piano
Originally Posted by Key Notes

As for me, I'm having fun learning Alexander's Ragtime Band. And although I believed that I've already fingured out all of the fingerings for it, I wanted to double-check with you all anyway.

AWTPP: You have a wonderful recording of it. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Key Notes smile

Hi, Key Notes. I have been out of pocket for a couple of days, putting in long hours at a (potential) customer. Sorry for the delay here.

Is your question still on the table? I do recall some VERY specific things I did on the fingering that made this piece much easier, for me. The recommended fingering for a lot of ARB simply didn't work for me.

Without looking at the music (and my notes thereon), I would say what clicked for me was mercilessly pounding on that phrase in the middle of the piece... the "that's just... the bestest band what am" portion. I did a "Chuan Chang" on that part, which means (based on the recommendations in the "Fundamentals of Piano Practice" book) I played that part, in rapid repetition, over and over and over again, over the course of many evenings. Once that was down, and once my own fingerings became cemented in muscle memory in other places, it came together quickly.

All told, I spent about 3 weeks on it.

If you're interested, I will get the music tonight and tell you what adjustments worked for me.

Hi AWTPP,

No worries whatsoever. Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to reply, as well as for offering to give me your fingering figures but there's no need at this point.

I've already pretty much figured them all out over this past weekend, including the ending part that I've mentioned. I can play them pretty well now, just have to put the two hands together.

Thanks again and good luck with La Bamba (Waltz's favorite piece grin) if you decided to work on it.

Key Notes smile

Last edited by Key Notes; 06/19/09 01:49 AM.

Music speaks where words fails.
Well someone needs to stand up for this poor, maligned piece. smile I for one actually enjoyed playing La Bamba. Oh sure, I hated it at first, and yes it took some time to get down, but once I was able to play it, I found it a fun piece play.

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Well, it's not perfect but here is my recording of Space Shuttle Blues.

http://www.box.net/shared/slr6yy1en0

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
N
N
That sounded really good to me! smile

It was interesting that the audio was only coming out of my left speaker/headphone. Just curious - What did you use to record it?

-Nancy

Well, I don't know much about recording but I only have one condenser microphone so I know the sound is not stereo. I don't know if that explains why the sound was only coming out of one speaker though.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by HeirborneGroupie; 06/19/09 01:11 PM.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Undone
Well someone needs to stand up for this poor, maligned piece. smile I for one actually enjoyed playing La Bamba. Oh sure, I hated it at first, and yes it took some time to get down, but once I was able to play it, I found it a fun piece play.

Undone

I remember hearing the recording you posted long ago: it was absolutely spectacular. This is how I first knew of your talent at the piano. Perhaps, if I would have had more skill I would not have abhorred learning it; yet, again, If Alfred's wishes to throw in a "challenge piece" I would hope they would choose something like Hava Nagila or the Etude. It is only an opinion however, and only valid as such.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by HeirborneGroupie

Very well played! I like your swift pace, it really brings out the melody.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
It's a recording day! Here's my Theme from Solace.

http://www.box.net/shared/v1zqczr6vd

I posted a blog entry on this where I say more about it than could possibly interest anyone except my mother. If you're curious...

http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/2009/06/theme-from-solace.html

For the sake of this discussion, I will say it took a great deal of discipline to keep the tempo of these piece to a "Slow Marching Tempo". And to be honest, I was not entirely successful in this regard. Nevertheless, this recording represents a reasonably good effort for me, at this point. If I played it 10 times, it would be this clean, oh, maybe twice.

Casio Ap-200
Almost midway thru Alfred's All-In-One Book Two
Blogging my family's piano learning experiences: http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

In all honesty, I think you nailed it. Your rhythm and tempo is superb, along with dynamics etc. Great, great job! What are you thoughts regarding La Bamba, going to give it a try or no?

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Waltz

In all honesty, I think you nailed it. Your rhythm and tempo is superb, along with dynamics etc. Great, great job! What are you thoughts regarding La Bamba, going to give it a try or no?

Thanks, Waltz!

Nah, I am going to skip La Bamba. I tinkered with it for a week, and I sound not much better than I did on the first day. OTOH, La Raspa is easy peasy, which gives me a sense of "Hey, maybe I do know what I am doing."

That and I am also starting a new Einaudi piece, so I already have enough difficulty on my plate.

Casio Ap-200
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Undone

[Linked Image] A "Spectacular" performance indeed! I love your absolute control over the piece, especially the gradually faded out ending. [Linked Image]

Originally Posted by HeirborneGroupie

I have a hard time with the rhythms of the Blues from the few pieces that I've attempted in Alfred's book 1. Very nice job HeirborneGroupie. [Linked Image]

I posted a blog entry on this where I say more about it than could possibly interest anyone except my mother. If you're curious...

http://aw2pp.blogspot.com/2009/06/theme-from-solace.html

For the sake of this discussion, I will say it took a great deal of discipline to keep the tempo of these piece to a "Slow Marching Tempo". And to be honest, I was not entirely successful in this regard. Nevertheless, this recording represents a reasonably good effort for me, at this point. If I played it 10 times, it would be this clean, oh, maybe twice.

And a wonderful effort at that AWTPP. Very nice! Definitely will be another difficult piece for me to learn. May have to check-out your blog for further details. [Linked Image]

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
W
W
I was hoping to finish Guantanamera or Light and Blue this weekend but I think both are right at the point where I can play them 95% through, just 1-2 measures I'm not confident with yet so maybe I'll finish them early next week.

I did finish of the classical piece I was working on, still want to work on it a bit more so I'll keep it as my warm up piece. Here is my recording:

http://www.coinmanipulation.com/misc/music/SongWithoutWords.mp3

I can't seem to get good dynamics in my recordings. My keyboard isn't great, but I think it sounds a little better than the recording that I end up with. Maybe I need to adjust the sensitivity of the keyboard, or work out how to do the volume normalization in Audacity that people talk about.

I do know the further I progress the more I want to get a decent digital piano. I figure in a year when I've payed of the house if I'm still interested in piano I'll get a decent one.

HG – Great job on Space Shuttle Blues! This is one of those numbers where upon first trying I thought “What?” but then once getting the feel for it found it to be a lot of fun. You played it marvelously.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Waltz
I remember hearing the recording you posted long ago: it was absolutely spectacular. This is how I first knew of your talent at the piano. Perhaps, if I would have had more skill I would not have abhorred learning it; yet, again, If Alfred's wishes to throw in a "challenge piece" I would hope they would choose something like Hava Nagila or the Etude. It is only an opinion however, and only valid as such.

As for the first part; now cut that out. blush I’m just a hack that keeps on working at it. As for your opinion; well of course it’s perfectly valid and I doubt there is anyone who hasn’t wondered “why did they include this selection” about more then a few of the pieces in Alfred’s. smile (One of my personal nemeses was “He's Got The Whole World In His Hands” toward the end of book 1.)

Undone

[Linked Image]
AWTPP – Great job on the Theme from Solace! This is another one of my favorites from Book 2. Have you ever listened to the complete Joplin piece (Solace: A Mexican Serenade)? It’s really something.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Wrenn – Your recording sounded fine to me (and I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it), but I know what you mean about the difference between “live” and a recording. I don’t know what your recording method is, but my DP has only one output jack. I found that if I set this (using a configuration option) to “Line Out” and then use “Line In” on my recording device, I get a much better sound than I do with any of the other settings.

Undone

[Linked Image]
Thanks everyone for the comments. I really appreciate it.

AWTPP Super job on "Theme from Solace"!!! This piece is not in the Basic Alfred book. The timing sounds like it was hard to master but you did it thumb

Last edited by HeirborneGroupie; 06/20/09 01:09 PM.

Carol
Kawai RX 2
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Frankie and Johnnie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srXOEnOI4t8

Black is the Color of my True Love's Hair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ8Jjbi4hF4

In F/J, I never could make a smooth transition when shifting to the Eb "driving rhythm". There was always a "dead space" between the two.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

That was absolutely beautiful! It certainly sounded fine, but some things are lost during recordings as compared to listening live. Regardless, that was great, seriously.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
AWTPP – Great job on the Theme from Solace! This is another one of my favorites from Book 2. Have you ever listened to the complete Joplin piece (Solace: A Mexican Serenade)? It’s really something.

Undone

As a matter of fact, yes. When I was trying to figure out how the piece went, I came across some 6 to 7 minute versions on Youtube that were absolutely stupefying.

Casio Ap-200
Page 60 of 190 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission