2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
K
etcetra, Hi. I've been out of town.

Well, what can I say to you? I know you're right, I call it a lack of judgement just because of age. I mean, I was 14 years old and I hated playing keyboards, I was just so purist about the piano that I would kick my own ass by now. But, I assume that it is called grow up, I became really open and started to detect where the thing was wrong. And I realized that it's in the beginning, because it's not about technique, it's about beauty.

Same with classical composers, neither Bach, Mozart or Beethoven had Sibelius or Finale in their pc :D, they just created parts for a lots of instruments by ear memory!!!!!. You can call that talent, of course, but without any help, the talent by itself vanishes.

Kennard McDonald
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by etcetra
KlinkKlonk,

that may be true, but it does make you wonder when a lot of well established musicians are not happy about that kind of teaching method because that is just not how they learned music. I certainly wouldn't want future jazz musicians to be just re-creating the style of Oscar Peterson, Bill Evans..etc..

But isn't that exactly what we're getting? I can't see anything personal and unique in the playing of Hiromi Uehara, Eldar Djangirov, Taylor Eigsti etc except brilliant chops.

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Kennard19、

A lot of it has to do with circumstance too.. you probably wasn't born a classical purist... somehow you adopted that attitude.. maybe through your teachers.. or other adults who shared similar beliefs.

you are totally right about Bach and Mozart.. I was reading a book called "outliers" by Malcolm Gladwell' basically the author argues that talent is comparative advantage that we are not aware of, it has more to do with enviroment than inborn ability

My impression of great non-classical pianists is that they were free to pursue music in whatever direction they pleased.. some had extensive classical training, others don't.. but they were not discouraged to play by ear, and they were not forced to learn piano in a certain 'academic' way.. it was okay to find their own way and they had good mentors on the way too.

KlinkKlonk

I am not a big fan of Hiromi or Eldar either, but Some of Taylor's compositions are quite good.. my biggest concern about judging them is that I am doing so in a 'purist' way..some people easily dismiss Brad Mheldau and other younger pianists because "they are not Oscar Peterson or Bill Evans"", and they think what Chick Corea/Herbie Hancock are doing right now is shadow of what they used to do..

As far as younger musicians are concerned though.. I like Aaron Parks, Tigran Hamasyan, Marcin Wasilewski..etc

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
MEh guess that makes me a purist then frown

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Well, I do understand your point of view, but I am guessing Chick Corea and Herbie was criticized back then because they were not Art Tatum, and I feel like I can say that about almost any composer

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission