2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
77 members (20/20 Vision, amc252, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, 15 invisible), 1,986 guests, and 313 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
the author of the article defends his opinion here:

http://jessicamusic.blogspot.com/2009/06/van-cliburn-competition-delivers-odd.html

i think it's good that we hear different opinions on the competition outcome, and the debates about the competition or competitions in general will benefit the future judging process of all competitions.

btw, if you had read the blogs at the Cliburn, you probably will recognize the name of a bloger: Brad Hill. here is an interview with him on the subject:

http://www.cassandrapages.com/the_cassandra_pages/2009/06/discussing-the-cliburn-with-brad-hill.html

(check the part 2 & 3 on left navigation bar)

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What a foolish person...he says he "stands by his reporting"...which includes posting blatantly false statements and attributing a shy/deferential behavior to some nonexistant mental deficiency / "idiot savant " syndrome.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Nubo's not autistic is he?

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Nope.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
P
P
Originally Posted by Debussy20
Nubo's not autistic is he?

The thought that Tsujii might be autistic certainly started going through my head (and others') many times while watching him play (in person at Bass Hall) and on the webcasts. He was carefully insulated from the press by his entourage during the entire competition. When asked even the simplest of questions, his translator(s) would whisper furiously to him and there would be lots of verbal prodding and a long, long wait before he would give even a brief answer. For the most part, he displayed a flat emotional aspect that was weird.

The more I saw of Tsujii, the more I was reminded of the Peter Sellers movie, "Being There." That Tsujii might be autistic or have some other problem is not out of the question. He's got quite a buffer zone of handlers around him who can easily obscure anything they want to.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
There were also backstage post-performance interviews/performer portraits where you can see him speaking with his translators in a non-rehearsal setting, and which (if you understand Japanese) does not sound like conversations with an autistic person.

Last edited by Theowne; 06/13/09 08:21 PM.

音楽は楽しいですね。。。
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Well autistic is not a bad word (or rather it should not be), nor is it a diagnosis for us to bandy about lightly.
But I will admit sharing some of poulencfan's impressions.
Pf, it sounds like you saw him live. Does he maintain the same stereotypical head rotations when he is not playing? Or is there some acoustic need for the constant head turning?
Oh and what's a "professional teenage herder"??

P
P
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Well autistic is not a bad word (or rather it should not be), nor is it a diagnosis for us to bandy about lightly.
But I will admit sharing some of poulencfan's impressions.
Pf, it sounds like you saw him live. Does he maintain the same stereotypical head rotations when he is not playing? Or is there some acoustic need for the constant head turning?
Oh and what's a "professional teenage herder"??

Don't have the answer to the teenage herder question, Andromaque. But I saw two of Tsujii's recitals and his concerto performances live, the rest (including the awards) on the webcast. He did the same odd head movement routine over and over even when he was sitting in the audience. It was the same group of moves over and over, which strongly reminded me of three people I know (one kid, one teenager, one adult) who are moderately to severely autistic.

I wouldn't write a review calling Tsujii autistic based on those observations alone. But after watching him a few times, and then watching those anxious, hovering handlers of his, it kept crossing my mind how easy it would be for them to cover for Tsujii by claiming he didn't speak English and answering for him.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Conspiracy!

音楽は楽しいですね。。。
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
pf, the teenage herder reference comes from your own profile!!care to explain?? laugh

P
P
Originally Posted by Andromaque
pf, the teenage herder reference comes from your own profile!!care to explain?? laugh

Egads, what a doof I am - I completely forgot about that phrase in my profile. A teen herder is exactly what it sounds like. I've got 2 teenagers here - the oldest has been launched (and I hope, continues to stay that way).

Herding involves constantly checking (through visual exam or word of mouth) that your teens: 1) are generally where they say they are; 2) haven't been arrested; 3) haven't pierced or tattooed yet another body part; 4) aren't stoned or inebriated; 5) aren't (oi!) pregnant. This is in addition to the everyday herding that includes chauffering and general nagging.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
This sounds all too familiar....

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Arghhh
Originally Posted by Kreisler

The whole breathing/watching the conductor issue is invented by people who have never played an orchestra or string quartet. Sight is a lot less important in good ensemble playing than people think it is.

In the Clavier October 2007 issue, there was an interview with Jean Barr (collaborative piano professor at Eastman) she says one of the things she does with her students, like a piano/clarinet duo, is to have them play facing away from each other. This forces them to listen to each other and the result is they actually play together better than when they are trying to look at each other. Tsujii must be an expert in this area, since he relies on his hearing for a lot more than a sighted person does.

There may be a few issues getting cues from a conductor, but these would be minimal, and I'm inclined to agree with Phlebas that solutions for these places could be found.

I would say just because he is blind he is not better. In alot of ways after watching his performances. It seems he relied much more on other people following what he did.

I do disagree with learning things by ear. I think it takes away from what the individual can bring to the music. He is learning someone else's interpretation not his own. When I first saw him play, I did not know he was blind at all. I remember finding his playing rather dull despite his program of the Chopin etudes.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Originally Posted by jdhampton924

I would say just because he is blind he is not better.
I don't think anyone ever claimed this.

Originally Posted by jdhampton
I do disagree with learning things by ear. I think it takes away from what the individual can bring to the music. He is learning someone else's interpretation not his own. When I first saw him play, I did not know he was blind at all. I remember finding his playing rather dull despite his program of the Chopin etudes.

I think it depends on whether or not he just learns the notes from the recordings or he copies the interpretation also. As long as his teacher tells him about all the other markings in the core besides the notes, so he knows what the composer wrote, he would be at least theoretically free to use his own interpretation.

I think some performers have heard or listen to other recordings before or while learning a work, some listen to a recording after learning a work, and others almost never listen to another recording of the work.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/14/09 08:46 AM.
Some competitors may not listen to a lot of recordings, but they've participated in enough masterclasses, festivals, and attended enough recitals that they are VERY familiar with other people's interpretations of the literature.

If anyone feels that Tsujii is copying someone else, then I'd ask them to provide some kind of evidence that his interpretations are more derivative than Son/Vacatello/Zhang/etc...

And if it's so obvious that Tsujii is simply copying someone else's interpretations, then why haven't we seen a single post that names the subject of his plagiarism? If it's so obvious that he's copying people, then compared to the other performers, it should be relatively easy to say who he's copying. Yet nobody has...

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Online Content
Some competitors may not listen to a lot of recordings, but they've participated in enough masterclasses, festivals, and attended enough recitals that they are VERY familiar with other people's interpretations of the literature.

If anyone feels that Tsujii is copying someone else, then I'd ask them to provide some kind of evidence that his interpretations are more derivative than Son/Vacatello/Zhang/etc...

And if it's so obvious that Tsujii is simply copying someone else's interpretations, then why haven't we seen a single post that names the subject of his plagiarism? If it's so obvious that he's copying people, then compared to the other performers, it should be relatively easy to say who he's copying. Yet nobody has...

This is very interesting because I believe there are some pianists on this forum who have claimed to never listen to anyone else's recording(or I assume master class performance etc.). I never really believed that this was the case for 99% of them.

Yeah, and for the Cliburn competitors, all of whom have attended some kind of music school or conservatory, a good bit of their formal training has included studio class, masterclass, and recital attendance.

Besides, listening to somebody doesn't necessarily mean you're going to copy them. Sometimes the most interesting interpretations come from making the decision to be different from what you've heard.

Remember, one of the most original pianists in the 20th century, Glenn Gould, admitted to being influenced by his teacher and Rosalyn Tureck's playing.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Online Content

Remember, one of the most original pianists in the 20th century, Glenn Gould, admitted to being influenced by his teacher and Rosalyn Tureck's playing.

I'm reading the very psychologically oriented bio of Gould called Bravo Fortissimo. It also mentions that Gould studied Schnabel's Beethoven playing a lot, especially the Concerto #4.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Speaking of influence, according to my google search Zhang said last year his favorite pianist was Schnabel, and his favorite performance was Ricter's Schubert b-flat Sonata 2nd movement. (He was playing Beethoven and Schubert and he's a YouTube fanatic. :))

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
For those who have access to the Naxos online music library, the prelims are all available to listen to.

Professional pianist and piano teacher.
Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission