2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
59 members (Adam Reynolds, AJMurphy, Barry_Braksick, AlkansBookcase, APianistHasNoName, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, 7 invisible), 1,596 guests, and 222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 136 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 135 136
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jarjar:
Hi timbo77, I put a Thirsty Hibbo (disposable silicone dehumifier) under my piano to reduce the humidity.
Where do you put the silica beads?
Under the top lid?
How do you put under the piano? The action is inside leh. Do you mean under the soundboard?
Hang it with wires?

There should be a heater rod just behind the fallboard, is it there? Should be ok leow.
Then, when not playing, u gotta cover it up with the cover to keep moisture out.
If the lid is close, humid air still gets circulated around the action and inside, lau-hong, you know?

Hailun dealer in Johor Bahru base in Ulu Tiram
Genio Silent system installer
Piano Tuner tech +65 90228720 Singapore & JB 012 7702587
snoopycar, i put 2 big bags of beads inside the lid, on the soundboard. The thirsty hippo is on the floor la just behind the lyre lar. The inside actions already got heater ma. My house has very high humidity. I'm asking my friend to get me the blue gizmo rh meter that you posted from sim lim square for me. I put the lid down when not playing, put down the music desk, slide in and put a table runner to cover it.

Kawai k8-as
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oic. ;D

I saw others slide out the desk and put it on top(with protection cloth, maybe towel) with all the top cover close. Like that can protect the inside, no need to always open - that's if you don't mind a little muffle tone.

Why your house so humid? Got sauna bath? House beside sunway lagoon? hehehe just joking.

hehe, mine's old grand piano, no need to sayang so much

My house is humid because it is made of red bricks that absorbed water and i'm on the high floor. Where do you put your grand? Your house really big, can put so many pianos.

Kawai k8-as
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, not really big house, if big house i'll have pipe organ - hehehe
It's just a 3bedroom + 1 living rm flat. grand is in living rm, U1 in rm1, Clavi and kawhy in rm2. No baby yet, so piano is "baby" hehehe
I just imagine the baby grand is a round dinning table lor.

icic, after you get the humidity monitor, you can judge the RH% more clearly. And see whatever measures you take and any improvment, like closing window, turn on little aircon..

No not simlim square, that's for PC stuff.
It's SimLim Tower, diagonally opposite, don't sabo your friend.... :-)

T
T
jarjar, snoopycar: silicone beads, "heater rods"? you're confusing me. confused

Are silicone beads enough to keep my pride and joy in shape?

Oh, thanks snoopycar. I thought it was simlim square. Oh ya, maybe you can have steamboat party on your grand with people sitting around it? Hehe.

timbo77, silicone beads is those disposable dehumidfier in small box. Can find it at supermarket or pharmacies. Heater rod is a heater that will be installed inside your piano to keep the piano warm. I suppose all new pianos come with it. Please check with your dealer.

Kawai k8-as
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by timbo77:
jarjar, snoopycar: silicone beads, "heater rods"? you're confusing me. confused

Are silicone beads enough to keep my pride and joy in shape?
Heater rod is use to keep the roti-john warm... hiak hiak hiak

No... For a normal non aircon room, heater rod(powered ON) is use to reduce the RH% afew %, like 5~15%.

I suddenly realize, if we spent too much $$ and cost to keep RH to ideal 40~55%, which is good for the wood, but there are still others things we cannot avoid like, wear and tear, mechanism becomes loose, hammer become flaten, keys become click clark, felt compacted, leather parts wears out.... pedals and shinning brass hinges become tarnish. Know what i'm trying to rationalize?

don't beat/hammer me..... ouch ouch

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by jarjar:
Oh, thanks snoopycar. I thought it was simlim square. Oh ya, maybe you can have steamboat party on your grand with people sitting around it? Hehe.
yaya, i'll just do that next chinese new year reunion dinner, and of course, i take pics and post them here laugh
Is my 170 long enough? should i get the bosie 9ft? can fit 2 steamboat you know? n invite you and the gang ... wait a minute, what about wheeling it to the corridor for a barbeque? whome

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
LIke I was saying elsewhere (by mistake), I need to rob a bank. Or win Toto. In the last 3 weeks I have been making my first round of visits to various showrooms, playing on grands.

The list so far includes:
  • Kawai SK-5
  • Kawai SK-6
  • Yamaha C5
  • Yamaha C6
  • Yamaha C7
  • Yamaha S4
  • Brodmann BG187
  • Yamaha C7 (15 years old)
  • Bosendorfer Imperial (30 years old)
  • Schimmel K189T (5 years old)
  • Estonia 190
  • Fazioli F185
  • Fazioli F212

This is a sickness, you know. And yet so addictive?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
ah ha... i see you went Yammie, Kawie and Emman for shopping last weekend...

-The Estonia 190 would be best value for money IMHO. Not too big, not too small, tone is rich, doesn't hurt ears.

-Bosie Imperial good for performance stage
-C7 has real irory? wow!!

Its a hobby(obsession) only ...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yesterday to E&S. Yamaha sometime during the week last week, and Kawai the week before that.

Frankly the big guys (Yamaha and Kawai) were disappointing in the way they don't keep the pianos at least in tune. I wanted to try the RX-5 and RX-6 as well, but Robert Piano has only an RX-2 in Singapore.

The Estonia actually isn't that far from the SK-5 in terms of price, but I've got to play both more before I can say which I prefer.

The Bosie is, well, a Bosie. I like it a lot because I used to practice on that for a little while back in uni (when I sweet-talked the auditorium staff to let me sneak in from time to time). But its not the sort of piano I could ever have at home.

The C7 at E&S was interesting. It had new hammers and damper felts and actually sounded better than the C7 in the Yamaha showroom. But then again the Yamaha showroom is absolutely awful for evaluating tone. Yes ivory key, but stained from years of obviously heavy use. Apart from the fact that I refuse to use ivory as a matter of principle, about 4 keys in the treble had chipped edges.

Next on the list are Grotrian and Sauter. But I already know which piano I'm going to get with my Toto winnings!

Originally posted by snoopycar:
ah ha... i see you went Yammie, Kawie and Emman for shopping last weekend...

-The Estonia 190 would be best value for money IMHO. Not too big, not too small, tone is rich, doesn't hurt ears.

-Bosie Imperial good for performance stage
-C7 has real irory? wow!!

Its a hobby(obsession) only ...

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Aa..? E&S open on Sunday meh?

No need to wait for toto. If i have 25k now, i'd grab the Schimmel 189T right away, or you can haggle a bit. It's so lightly used, like new condtion. Do you have anything to lelong off, like golf sticks, spare alloy wheels, share stocks....

Well, the C7, if the price is right, you can alway replace the key tops of your choice for peace of mind.

Did you play the mini pianos??
How about the U5?

Digitus, wow, so fast thinking to get a companion for you K8 already huh? At night drive taxi for 1 year can buy Fazioli already.. hehehe

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I rang and Mr Kwan was in. He had come in for a couple of pianists to try pianos. When I rang in the late afternoon they'd just left so he very kindly offered to wait for me.

Don't like the Schimmel. Yes its in very good condition. although the action needed a little work. But the bass was weak, and dynamic range a little restricted.

I do have things to lelong. Will most likely be disposing of one electronic keyboard on eBay. Also have a lot of other crap lying around.

Didn't play anything other than those I mentioned in my list. I didn't want to keep Mr Kwan longer than necessary for the first pass through.

The one I *think* I want is the Fazioli F212. It is an absolutely mind-blowing piano, at an equally mind-blowing price. Some people don't like the Fazioli "sound" but I could definitely live with it. And I could certainly live with that fabulous action.

Aa..? E&S open on Sunday meh?

No need to wait for toto. If i have 25k now, i'd grab the Schimmel 189T right away, or you can haggle a bit. It's so lightly used, like new condtion. Do you have anything to lelong off, like golf sticks, spare alloy wheels, share stocks....

Well, the C7, if the price is right, you can alway replace the key tops of your choice for peace of mind.

Did you play the mini pianos??
How about the U5?

Digitus, wow, so fast thinking to get a companion for you K8 already huh? At night drive taxi for 1 year can buy Fazioli already.. hehehe

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yes, you're accoustically observant. It may lack "turbo boost" but it has "mid range". Perhaps its good for certain works.

Oh well, do drop by one weekday, take halfday leave, take mc(flu, backache, ear-ache...) go and play the Fazioli - offer to trade in your K8 as deposit. haha. After that can go Mustafa shopping ..... cheap casio watch, cheap sanyo AA2700mAh batteries, 999 soap?

Oh pls control yourself........ don't get immsonia

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cannot lah, not when the sweet spot is just the two octaves up from middle C.

The Estonia also has dynamic range issues, but not as bad as the Schimmel. Having said that it is also tonally not that appealing to me.

This piano thing is a sickness, particularly when I start to seriously think of ways to swing the purchase of the F212. frown

Yes, you're accoustically observant. It may lack "turbo boost" but it has "mid range". Perhaps its good for certain works.

Oh well, do drop by one weekday, take halfday leave, take mc(flu, backache, ear-ache...) go and play the Fazioli - offer to trade in your K8 as deposit. haha. After that can go Mustafa shopping ..... cheap casio watch, cheap sanyo AA2700mAh batteries, 999 soap?

Oh pls control yourself........ don't get immsonia

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh no..... piano love-sick.
U need to see doctor...
Be cool, don't be reckless, don't find ah-long.

Or get something within reach like GM10 for the time being to chiam-see-tong first?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
No in-betweens. If I can't afford what my heart wants now, then I'd rather just stick with the K-8 until I can. I can't bear to lose so much depreciation with each purchase.

I hope that my next purchase will be the last one ever, so I would like the instrument to be The One. But yes, there is Financial heck to consider as well. Sigh. Reality bites.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Take my cheap advice. Open up the front cover, the sound will come out at you like a grand!! no kidding, try it! You won't want to put it back afterwards..... laugh

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Not necessary on the K-8. The front panels of the piano are vented. smile

Take my cheap advice. Open up the front cover, the sound will come out at you like a grand!! no kidding, try it! You won't want to put it back afterwards..... laugh

Page 36 of 136 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 135 136

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,310
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission