2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 32 of 75 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 74 75
O
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
O
Originally Posted by IrishMak
Phrasing is key in singing.

When I was learning to play the Chopin Etude in Alfred's Book 2, I had my teacher's recording as an indication of how to apply rubato. Then John Frank pointed out to me that a "modern" version of the piece was recorded as "No Other Love". I downloaded a Jo Stafford recording and listened to her phrasing, which, with the words, brought another dimension to the piece and especially to the application of rubato. The temporal phrasing, with the lyrics, was lovely, and now when I play I have that sound and lyrics in my head which improves the musicality tremendously.

It must be great fun for you to sing and play.

I'll be away from cyberspace for a month. Hopefully when I return I will have solved my problems with the 1/32nd notes in Fur Elise and I will have "officially" completed Book 3.

Aspiring Retirement Home Lounge Pianist
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by OldFingers
Originally Posted by IrishMak
Phrasing is key in singing.

When I was learning to play the Chopin Etude in Alfred's Book 2, I had my teacher's recording as an indication of how to apply rubato. Then John Frank pointed out to me that a "modern" version of the piece was recorded as "No Other Love". I downloaded a Jo Stafford recording and listened to her phrasing, which, with the words, brought another dimension to the piece and especially to the application of rubato. The temporal phrasing, with the lyrics, was lovely, and now when I play I have that sound and lyrics in my head which improves the musicality tremendously.

I used the same song (adapted in the early 1950s for Jo by her husband, band leader Paul Weston, which became a real big pop hit) to guide me in my own pratice/performance of the Book 2 arrangement of 10/3 - in it's phrasing especially it was very close to versions of Chopin's original which I've seen/heard on YouTube (in adition to being a great song well sung by Jo).

I think as some of us may work our way thru the Great American Songbook eventually that we'll find the same use of a great vocalist's interpretation of many of the best songs as an excellent guide to their performance as an instrumental piano piece.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
OK it's official I'm here [Linked Image]

Looking forward to continuing the journey making new friends and catching up with old one :thumbup: Looks like I'm going to be here for at least a year for sure..

So up this week will be the "just for fun" song, catch you in a bit...

thumb

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
TTigg - welcome! - nice to have you with us - there's much in Book 3 to like (and to challenge) - keep us updated on what you're working on and how you're doing - I'm currently working on "Come Back to Sorrento", which is near the end of the first (or Review) section - I'm also working out of two other sources simultaneously: "Essential Keyboard Repertoire" (early intermediate Classical pieces also from Alfred) and "The Definitive Hymn Collection" (intermediate arrangements published by Hal Leonard).

Good luck and have fun!

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Undone pokes his head through the doorway.

“Is this the place where the Book 3 crowd hangs out? I just finished with book 2 last night and will be starting book 3 tonight. Hey, isn't that TTigg sitting over there?”

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Undone - welcome also - I've admired many of your recordings from Book 2 and the way you've always encouraged those studying with you there.

Good luck and have fun too!

Regards, JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks JF, looking forward to it. Teacher and I did scan the back of the book to see "what's in store" and OH MY!! shocked

Originally Posted by Undone
Undone pokes his head through the doorway.

“Is this the place where the Book 3 crowd hangs out? I just finished with book 2 last night and will be starting book 3 tonight. Hey, isn't that TTigg sitting over there?”

Undone

It is indeed mate, glad to have you here, timing was impeccable smile

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Wow!! 2 new book-3-ers!!!

Welcome guys!!

Pianolessons just stopped here for a long summer break, so you'll have a good 10 weeks to catch up on me! I'll be mostly working on non-alfred's things, just like last summer. When there's no lessons for a while it's a good time to work on something different, or relatively 'big', at least I found out that for me that's a fun thing to do. Last year I worked on some Satie pieces, this summer it will be Yann Tiersen (don't know if you read through the thread, so maybe I'm telling you nothing new.)

Anyway, I'm looking forward to hear how you guys are going to attack book 3, and I'll be glad to offer support, ideas, a listening ear or whatever....Have fun with the super-special-song!

Ingrid (currently stuck on an unfinished 'unfinished symphony)

Last edited by IngridT; 06/12/09 10:28 AM.
Hi to our new member! I have had a time between work and grad course ( which has two more weeks to go). I did play through "Toccata" for my instructor and with only 5 places, she was quite pleased. And so am I. I going to work on those five places and have it ready for perfection:-). My instructor is having surgery so we won't be meeting for a month, but that's okay... I have enough to keep busy. I'm starting on "Moonlight Sonata" and some easier pop tunes such as "Lean on Me" and Hanon. Take care everyone!

[Linked Image]
Just to keep this thread from sinking too far down the list – My first week in Book 3 is going well. I’m working on both “A Super-Special Sorta Song” (who comes up with these titles?) and “Calypso Rhumba” while going over the theory section that follows. I have both pieces close to being finished but Super-Special is a good one for hitting wrong notes due to “momentary lapses in concentration”, so it may take a bit longer.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Just to keep this thread from sinking too far down the list – My first week in Book 3 is going well. I’m working on both “A Super-Special Sorta Song” (who comes up with these titles?) and “Calypso Rhumba” while going over the theory section that follows. I have both pieces close to being finished but Super-Special is a good one for hitting wrong notes due to “momentary lapses in concentration”, so it may take a bit longer.

Undone

Right there with you bud thumb
Wait, there's theory for this week too? wink I'm only working on the 1st for this week trying to ensure I get it down so I can move on to the next.... It's going to be good to have a sud o study partner for #3 smile
SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
TTigg – you may have a jump on the theory part. I remember you writing that you were reviewing the circle of fifths at the end of your “Not-All-In-One” Book 2. Well, the All-In-One version did’nt have that at the end, but it’s here in Book 3, right after the Calypso Rhumba.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
TTigg – you may have a jump on the theory part. I remember you writing that you were reviewing the circle of fifths at the end of your “Not-All-In-One” Book 2. Well, the All-In-One version did’nt have that at the end, but it’s here in Book 3, right after the Calypso Rhumba.

Undone

Gotcha,
Well for this week (lesson is today) I'm hoping to get my pass on "special sorta song". Then for next week I will work on Calypso Rhumba and the "review of the circle of 5ths".

You're right the first one can be going great and then a quick lapse of concentration (I guess same with any piece) and it turns quickly. So how's Calypso going? I'm hoping easy'sh since we're just getting started with #3..

cool SC

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Yep, I think “Special Sorta Song” is definitely the more difficult of the two. Calypso seemed a little strange the first couple of times through, but quickly started to make sense and has fallen into place nicely.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Yep, I think “Special Sorta Song” is definitely the more difficult of the two. Calypso seemed a little strange the first couple of times through, but quickly started to make sense and has fallen into place nicely.

Undone

Good to know since I did indeed get a "pass" from teach for "Special Sorta Song". Now this week I'm going to be working on Calypso and the first 2 pages of theory.. thumb

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
TTigg & Undone - here's a brief list of what I consider the more interesting and enjoyable pieces in the early part of Book 3:

"Fandango" - not hard at all and a lot of fun to play (I have a recording of this in the June Piano bar).

"Serenade (from String Quartet)" - a little challenging to consistently bring out the melody; tricky left hand pattern change in the middle section.

"A Very Special Day" - good solid piece; nice LH arppeggio workout throughout; interesting tempo change at finishing measures.

"A Classy Rag" - good ragtime piece; lots of hand movements; easy piece to play badly and tough piece to play consistently well; I'm still tring to get a satisfactory recording of this one (something different always goes wrong each time!).

"Prelude in D Minor" - good study piece for arpeggios and hand movements.

"The Star-Spangled Banner" - not everyone here has liked playing this , but I think it's a good arrangement; new technique introduced: the tremolo!

"Swan Lake" - very nice arrangement of a beautiful melody (I recorded this and it can be found in the May Piano Bar (I think?).

"Scheherazade" - another unique arrangement; lovely melody; totally satisfying study piece; you will like this one!

"Come back to Sorrento" - my current piece - absolutely beautiful Italian love song; excellent arrangement; challenging hand movements around the keyboard; wonderful piece!

Have fun!

Regards, JF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks JF,
Very much looking forward to it, working on Calypso this week smile

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Thanks JF,

I've just started working on Fandango and have been enjoying it too.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks JF,

I've just started working on Fandango and have been enjoying it too.

Undone

See, you've already overtaken me smile. This week for me is some of the additional (refresh) theory and Calypso...

[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I came to say hi, but I'm from the Book 1 thread grin

I've got a question for my seniors. I see that Book 3 has Fur Elise as one of the pieces at the end. Is it the original and complete version or is it a simplified arrangement?

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
Page 32 of 75 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 74 75

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission