2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (Ben_NZ, cygnusdei, Alfred La Fleur, Dfrankjazz, Boboulus, Dave Horne, beeboss, choppin, Animisha, 10 invisible), 837 guests, and 395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
I've seen numerous threads on this forum of people stating that they hate Clementi. I wasn't made clear, or I cannot remember as to why this is so. I personally like his sonatinas, but hey.

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Perhaps it's because so many of us played so many of them in lessons as teens! I haven't read the other threads on this topic, but I know many people find them simplistic compared to Scarlatti or Haydn, for example. I think Clementi is a great starting point for students who are ready for a sonata, and I think more of us would find them charming if we hadn't heard them a million times. I look at them as a stepping stone...

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I love the Clementi sonatinas. They're fantastic teaching material and great fun to play. I'm also a big fan of Kuhlau's as well. One of my favorite editions was edited and recorded by one of our resident concert pianists (Jeffrey Biegel).

It's published by Schirmer, and the recordings are very, very nicely done.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Played the middle movement of one in a recital on monday, great stuff.

I bet the thirds throw some people off.

Matt

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I have a Schirmer also, but I guess mine predates Biegel's. Mine is edited by Klee, Kohler and Ruthardt and the price on the cover is $1.00!! It's been used so much that the pages are yellowed and the binding is almost shot. Perhaps I should invest in Biegel's. Might be interesting to see the differences. I'll check out his recording too.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think he may be much, much underrated by many. If you only know the Gradus, and the op. 36 sonatinas, which are very charming, you have not discovered the bulk of his output.

Maybe not only the Gradus, but also Mozart hurt his reputation...he called him "a mere craftsman with no taste nor emotion" (not sure of the translation - "ein blosser Mechanicus") and other nasty things, but it may be partly prompted by a "piano duel" which ended in a draw (hard to take for Mozart who was used to be in the focus of interest). Still, the opening theme from Clementi's B flat major sonata op. 47/2 seems to have appealed to Mozart - he took it for the magic flute Ouverture (albeit in a polyphonic way which was not foreseen in the original).

Besides much profound and beautiful music in his sonatas, Clementi also did some quite progressive experiments, for example in the Capriccio op. 47/2. Look at the 1st page - 5/4 meter and tonal meandering between C major and b minor was not fully en vogue yet at this time... smile

A good way to start looking into Clementi are Horowitz's recordings, of course.

I'm working on clementi and they are pretty good.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
I'm still not made clear.. I know people think he is 'simplistic', but is that it?

Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
I love Clememti's sonatinas! THey are wonderful for the early intermediate-intermediate player like myself!! Simple though they are, they are wonderful 'stepping stones', as heidiv put it.

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I'm still not made clear.. I know people think he is 'simplistic', but is that it?

Clementi wrote over 60 sonatas and dozens of other works. I don't think it makes sense to talk about an output of this size and diversity in terms of a single adjective.

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
pianovirus, I never intended to personally describe Clementi as 'simplistic'. I am only quoting what heidiv had said earlier. The reason why I made that statement above is because I would like to know why exactly do people think so.

Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I personally think it is lack of exposure - people only seem to be exposed to his smaller works and as such he may be viewed as a composer who only wrote small, simplistic works for beginners. But he wrote a lot more than that, and much of it is quite good, in my humble opinion. Check out his Sonata quasi Concerto (Horowitz has a good recording of that one), good stuff...

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I learned all the sonatinas when I was in my teens. At that time in my life they seemed pretty dry. Now in my dotage, I've learned to appreciate how pretty they are and I thorougly enjoy reading through them. I've also fooled around with some of the sonatas. IMO they're not as gorgeous as the Mozart sonatas, but worth a look.

Best regards,

Deborah
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I love the Clementi sonatinas. They're fantastic teaching material and great fun to play. I'm also a big fan of Kuhlau's as well.

I agree on all of these points (although I don't teach). I love playing the Clementi sonatinas, even though they are quite easy technically. I didn't know the Kuhlau sonatinas until my daughter's teacher assigned a couple to her a few years back. Those are very nice pieces, and are generally a step up technically from the Clementi.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Clementi's Piano Concerto (later arranged as the Sonata quasi Concerto that 8ude mentioned) is quite a good piece. Too bad it isn't in the standard repertoire.

Oh, and since Kuhlau has been mentioned, I will say now that one really doesn't know him until one explores his flute works. Some of his sonatas for flute and piano really make it clear why he was known as "the Beethoven of the flute."

Die Krebs gehn zurücke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I have a recording of Michelangeli playing a Clementi Sonata ( I can't remember which off hand ), and I just adore it - both composition and recording! It's a very charming piece

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
I agree with Mozart. I think we can trust his judgment.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I like Clementi's sonatas and I've had the honor of playing them on a piano built by his company.

Clementi, like Czerny, and many other composers become infamous, or famous depending upon how you view them, for a small amount of their original output.

John

Current works in progress:

Beethoven Sonata Op. 10 No. 2 in F, Haydn Sonata Hoboken XVI:41, Bach French Suite No. 5 in G BWV 816

Current instruments: Schimmel-Vogel 177T grand, Roland LX-17 digital, and John Lyon unfretted Saxon clavichord.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"I agree with Mozart. I think we can trust his judgment."

Or we could take Beethoven's viewpoint; he thought otherwise.

Well, each to his own. Still, all these 200 years later, he's still in the game.

Clef

M
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
M
His prelude in D minor is a favorite of mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Sustain Pedal Use
by john fh - 09/25/21 02:13 AM
Insulted a Kawai salesman with straight talk
by Cristofori - 09/25/21 01:37 AM
Berg Sieben Früher Lieder and more
by MinscAndBoo - 09/24/21 08:47 PM
Free Books
by Larry Fine - 09/24/21 07:18 PM
Need help finding a piece (Streabbog?)
by cygnusdei - 09/24/21 06:51 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Our Free Newsletter for Piano Lovers!
The summer edition of our free newsletter
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,282
Posts3,134,982
Members102,816
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission