2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (benkeys, brennbaer, AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,938 guests, and 327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 40 of 190 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 189 190
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
AWTPTP & Key Notes - here's 2 versions of Light & Blue that I recorded some time back, which might give you some ideas about what to do with this fun piece - this was one of my favorite Book 2 pieces which I have long since memorized and still play once in awhile just for the sheer joy of it - the "modified" version below has a new opening (just a short run found elsewhere in the piece as a transition), a double repeat of a certain key measure (this happens twice) and an enhanced ending - hope you enjoy and that this is remotely helpful!

Regards, JF

Light & Blue (Book Version)

Light & Blue (Modified)

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks Key Notes smile : sorry again for the shaking camera (resting it on the piano is a mistake), I’ll search for a solution (ie a non piano stand) for any future recordings and I’ll try to do some Alfred’s pieces so we can all relate.

John Frank: Your modified version of L and B was great; I really enjoyed your alterations.

Update time:
I started Night Song (Nocturne) today. Circus March had some dynamics that were slightly tricky but overall wasn’t so bad (and is a recognizable tune).

As for Hokey Pokey: going in my expectations were very, very low. I had read (from previous generations on this thread) that it was frustrating and not appealing to play (ie La Bamba all over again frown ). The LH staccato and RH long-short style legato melody combination was difficult at the beginning but my hands (the team) eventually cooperated. Afterwards, I actually found myself enjoying playing this worn tune.

As for Night Song: it is absolutely beautiful to play thus far. There is a concise preamble stating it is “easier than it looks/sounds”. This is true (surprisingly); it is a simple chord inversion progression (at least the first half).

Last edited by Waltz; 03/12/09 01:32 PM.

[Linked Image]
How proficient do you all get before you move on to the next song? Do you memorize? I'm thinking getting good enough to play with the cd maybe? I'm progressing through(slowly) but I'm not sure if I need to sit on the pieces a little longer or not. Thanks!
Crystal

Homeschooling Mom to 8
M
M
do you know where i could find or purchase the sheets for waltz in g minor or do I have to buy the whole book

mmikle
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by crystalncrew
How proficient do you all get before you move on to the next song? Do you memorize? I'm thinking getting good enough to play with the cd maybe? I'm progressing through(slowly) but I'm not sure if I need to sit on the pieces a little longer or not. Thanks!
Crystal

I think it depends on your goals and personal ability. If your goal is strictly to “learn” then I don’t see the utility in “memorizing” a piece (that is, committing it to memory without the aid of the sheet music). This is where I fall; I memorize the piece to the extent where I can play it with the music in front (a combination of motor memory and sight reading). If your goal is to build a repertoire of Alfred’s music then you may want to dedicate more time to “memorizing” pieces (to play in front of friends/family etc.). I do, however, spend disproportionate amounts of time with pieces I feel are “challenge” pieces. Calypso Carnival has certain technical features that have kept me coming back to it nearly daily since I “passed” it. I could play it sufficiently then but now can do so much more smoothly and probably could play it strictly from motor “memory” if I was inclined to do such things. However, I am not. My goals are strictly learning to play. After Alfred’s I’ll build my repertoire, not during.

[Linked Image]
Thanks Waltz. Right now I am really focusing on some other seperate pieces but still going through the book. I am not giving it near the attention as the other pieces. That's also why I am moving slower but that's ok smile

Homeschooling Mom to 8
Crystal

I don’t necessarily try to memorize any of my Alfred pieces before moving on (though sometimes it happens), but I do work on each piece until I am able to get a recording of it that I am happy with. Just what makes me “happy” with any individual recording may vary somewhat from piece to piece.

I found out early on that it was too easy to fool myself into thinking I “had a piece down” if I didn’t record it. I am not working with a teacher and only play for myself (and occasionally my friends here in ABF). Often a “little mistake here and there” would be easy to overlook (or then there’s my favorite “if I can play it through twice without making mistakes in the same place each time, then I’m done”), but by trying to get a decent recording of each piece before I move on, I know I’m not falling into these traps. Besides, I now have a nice collection of every Alfred piece I’ve completed and its fun to go back and listen to these from time to time to hear how I’ve progressed. smile

Some people consider this overkill and I won’t argue that. I would certainly be further along in the Alfred books if I allowed myself to move on once I thought I “learned enough” from each piece. As to whether my overall playing ability would be any further along or not - well who knows?

Undone

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Certainly: an important aspect of practicing/playing the piano is determined by one’s unique preference on their journey (versus simply ultimate goals). It will be a while before many of us will have the ability to learn our “dream” pieces so enjoying the voyage there is just as important as arriving (even though, personally, I tend travel with haste…) smile

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I made two new recordings of two recent Alfred's 2 pieces this morning and have now uploaded them. I will post the links this afternoon smile .

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here is my rendition of Brahms's Lullaby:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sweV7I-7Nx8

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here is my rendition of Calypso Carnival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TpHoo55cuc

Mark... ,

There is no performance of this piece on page one. If you feel it is worthy I would certainly not mind if mine was used.
smile

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
JF: Thanks for sharing your versions of Light and Blue. It's always helpful to be able to hear different interpretations of the same piece. I also enjoyed your modified version as well, especially the ending. smile

Waltz: Great job with your latest recordings! Calypso Carnival seems like it would be a fun and fast piece to play. Thanks for sharing.

Key Notes smile

Music speaks where words fails.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Crystal

Hi crystalncrew,

I too, have similar interests and mentalities as Waltz and Undone when it comes to how much time I spend on any given piece. Since there are so many variables and factors for each of us, I believe that it would ultimately depends on you and your personal interests and goals.

Basically, I'll only move on if I felt that I've throroughly learned the intended theories and/or techniques presented in that particular lesson, and can play the piece quite well with both my body and fingers relaxed (yet upright), and with the correct rhythms and intended tempos. This can vary anywhere between a couple of hours to a couple of weeks per piece so far, depending on the levels of difficulties and how much time I spend on them (and I have to confess that I don't practice every single day blush). And while I don't try to intentionally memorize anything, it does come naturally for certain pieces through sheer repetitions.

I hope that our collective answers has helped you with your gauging somewhat.

Best regards,

Key Notes smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by mmikle
do you know where i could find or purchase the sheets for waltz in g minor or do I have to buy the whole book

Hi mmikle,

Try this site.

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com

Thanks everyone! Undone, I might just try the whole recording thing. I think it's very easy to trick myself into thinking that I have a piece down but when the adrenaline picks up, I discover the truth shocked

Homeschooling Mom to 8
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Key Notes

[b]Waltz:
Great job with your latest recordings! Calypso Carnival seems like it would be a fun and fast piece to play. Thanks for sharing.

Key Notes smile

Thanks! smile CC is kind of fun to play but easy to lose rhythm and make errors. You couldn't really see my LH due to the camera angle but throughout the entirety of the song it is stretched over an octave (and in staccato) which is tiring to practice. The tempo is "moderoto" but every version I heard online was played at a slightly faster tempo and I think it sounds more festive to play it quickly.

What is the latest on your progress? I'll be anxious to hear when you begin La Bamba crazy

[Linked Image]
Waltz, I really enjoyed listening to your recordings of Brahms’s Lullaby and Calypso Carnival. Job well done! I particularly liked the Brahms piece and remember having to struggle a little to get the nice flowing sound that you demonstraite.

On Calypso Carnival, if your open to a little constructive critisisim from someone with absolutly no credentials to give such, I think it sounds a little bit rushed. It’s not that this piece can’t be played at that tempo, but while listening I get the feeling that your “pushing it” just a tad beyond your comfort level. I think those quarter notes (tied eigths) need to be held just a little longer so that it doesn’t sound like your in a hurry to get to the next phrase.

This of course is just nitpicking, you did a great job on this selection. I’m just trying to provide what I hope is some helpful feedback; the same sort of thing I would like to hear regarding my own recordings.

Undone

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Undone,

Actually, you are right on the money. The quarter notes were easy to "blow past" due to anticipation of the next section. Next time I practice the piece I'll try to slow the tempo down (maybe a little counting out loud :P ) and give the quarter notes their full value. Thanks for being honest and for the kind words smile

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Also Undone, if you still have your recording of Night Song I would love to hear it. I have heard multiple interpretations of the tempo and they all sound nice so I'm not sure exactly how quickly to play each section. The piece begins "andante moderato" eventually changing to "a little faster" and then "a little slower" . . . That's a little ambiguous haha.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Waltz
Also Undone, if you still have your recording of Night Song I would love to hear it. I have heard multiple interpretations of the tempo and they all sound nice so I'm not sure exactly how quickly to play each section. The piece begins "andante moderato" eventually changing to "a little faster" and then "a little slower" . . . That's a little ambiguous haha.

Here you go Waltz. This is the recording of Night Song that I made back in July of last year. As you will hear, my interpretation was to take this piece much slower and to try and make it more “Nocturn-ish”. I found it to be a great piece to work on both feeling and expression (and to pretend I was playing a Chopin Nocturn at the time). smile

Night Song

Undone

[Linked Image]
Page 40 of 190 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 189 190

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission