2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, 13 invisible), 2,117 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Well, as I suspected, I received no check in the mail.
When I contated mom, she was full of questions about the bill. AGAIN.

This time I politely said to her "If you and [daughter] aren't commited, then please let me know. I have a waiting list and would like to fill her spot. If I do not receive payment by Wednesday, I will not be able to offer [daughter] her lesson."

She responded with "busy...summer...forgot...blah..blah..."

I said, "well I'm sorry to see her go, enjoy your summer".

END of story!!

WHY does it have to get so UGLY sometimes??? I just want to get paid!! URGH Poor, poor little girl.

Since I will not be seeing her again, I am going to send her a nice note in the mail.

Thanks for all your support and ideas on handling this blankety-blank MOM!

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Did she owe you for lessons past? mad if so I'd be mad, if she is paid up till now, good riddance. You have been very accomodating. Just don't send her out here to me laugh
I had to fire someone today, too. They wanted to take the whole summer off and then some, not starting back up till after Labor Day.
We need to keep supporting each other here in PW, it does help to bounce ideas and issues off each other here, I always learn a lot. cool

Piano Teacher
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Good for you E & I. I suspected the mom would play the "I forgot" game.

You did your best. You gave her lots of opportunities and were probably more flexible than some would have been. Take a deep breath...relax....and keep repeating.."I will not let her talk me into taking her back...I will not let her talk me into taking her back....I will not..... smile

Righty-O!
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
I know it. I should have done it a long time ago, but my heart really breaks for this little girl, mom just doesn't know how much she is hurting her (she does not just do this to me!)

Yes, she owes me for one lesson. My bad for letting her always be in arrears frown

I just really want things to go smoothly, and when they don't I'm not good at getting what I need.

Originally Posted by Barb860
We need to keep supporting each other here in PW, it does help to bounce ideas and issues off each other here, I always learn a lot. cool

That is a FACT!!! smile

Oh and Barb, I'm pretty sure she said they were moving to Granite Bay lol.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I find these kinds of endings always sad. I have to call a mom today about a late payment. They know better, but it's really a form of disrespect.

We teachers know a lot more about each of our families than they suspect. We also learn, from various clues, about their finances and their commitment to keep responsibilities.

I am extremely flexible with parents who I know have a tight budget but are committed to their student's education. I have little sympathy for the ones who drive expensive cars, live in McMansions, and are late paying bills.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
By the way, you can learn a lot about your students by visiting zillow and typing in their address. You'll see their house and it's value.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I had to do something like this this past year with a voice student. I would have loved to put her on "scholarship" but she couldn't show up for lessons half the time. I told her and her mother that this was disrespectful to me. I stopped lessons while they still owed me, but it was either that or continue lessons with no real hope of getting paid anything. It's best sometimes to just cut your losses.

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook
By the way, you can learn a lot about your students by visiting zillow and typing in their address. You'll see their house and it's value.

Just curious as to exactly what you learn about students or families? Does it tell you how much they owe? Does it tell you if they're behind in their payments? Does it tell you that they own vs rent? Does it tell you if they inherited the house? Does it tell you if the parents had to take a 40% cut in pay? Does it tell you if a family member is ill?

I don't support what the parent in this case is doing. If they can't afford lessons, then they need to either try to adjust their finances, live with the fact that they simply can't afford lessons, or simply come clean to the OP and say that they can't afford lessons and try to work something out that's realistic. However, to make any type of judgments or evaluations based purely on the value of a home (or even the car they drive) seems quite misleading.

If a piano teacher lives in a $800000 home does that mean that they're rich? Does it mean that it's ok to be late on a payment or two because "they obviously don't need the money"? No, it has no bearing on anything at all with regards to the teacher/student or business relationship (unless of course you're planning on suing and are simply sizing up their assets wink ).

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have to agree. I can look at someone's house who I'm familiar with. It's worth is about $750K, but that doesn't tell you that they are both school teachers, bought the house in 1992 for about $150K, have 2 kids in college, etc.

I suppose it's anyone's right to go onto a free site to look up the value of my house, but that doesn't make it their business.

If there is a late payment, then that is the issue - not what kind of car they drive, or how much their house is worth.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Nice strawman, BW. I said, you can learn a lot; I didn't say you can learn everything!

E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Plus Zillo is just kinda fun! snoop, snoop. wink

The way I understand it is that it goes off your home tax, so if someone has a finished basement that isn't reported, then the site is not accurate.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Zillow isn't perfect, but it's good info to get free on the internet. You can go to the county courthouse and get the info, but it takes a little legwork.

Over history, my worst payers were those two income families with lots of toys. The ones who can't afford a piano, or to get theirs tuned, or pay on time, but have plenty of money for the 52" plasma tv or the new BMW. I have lots of good families in large homes, and some of the best ones have kids in private school. Right now, I'm blessed to have no problem payers at all.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Nice strawman, BW. I said, you can learn a lot; I didn't say you can learn everything!

I understood that, what I wasn't sure of is what "a lot" means? Other than an estimate of the market value of a home (and a few other misc details on the property), what other things are in your "a lot" related to the person living there?

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory

The way I understand it is that it goes off your home tax, so if someone has a finished basement that isn't reported, then the site is not accurate.

Not completely off of your taxes. For instance, JvdB's house appraises at $262000 while Zillow estimates the value at $284000. Taxes can lag behind home values quite a bit in areas where values rise quickly as many taxing jurisdictions have limits on the amount that a valuation can increase in a years time (e.g. 10%). Zillow actually attempts to come closer to what a sales appraisal would be vs a tax appraisal.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bitWrangler
Originally Posted by Ebony and Ivory

Not completely off of your taxes. For instance, JvdB's house appraises at $262000 while Zillow estimates the value at $284000. Taxes can lag behind home values quite a bit in areas where values rise quickly as many taxing jurisdictions have limits on the amount that a valuation can increase in a years time (e.g. 10%). Zillow actually attempts to come closer to what a sales appraisal would be vs a tax appraisal.

I think they also use the recent sales of other homes in the immediate area along with the other info.

I'll figure it out eventually.
Until then you may want to keep a safe distance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Bypass ALL the payment headaches by collecting payment for a full month in advance. Wow! Now there's a solution. No payment, no lessons. It doesn't get any simpler. sleep

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If you're really in a quandary, you can always purchase a credit report.

But the real answer is get a signed contract with payments due up front.

T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by eweiss
Good for you E & I. I suspected the mom would play the "I forgot" game.

I'm not disagreeing with E&I's decision, that's up to her.

I disagree with this assessment. I also predicted this mom would not make the payment, but not because she's playing a game.

That mom is no more capable of making the next payment correctly than E&I is of being as assertive as John can. It's not in her makeup. People can change - but the basic personality of the adult is fairly stable. It could be financial hardship, more likely it's just a flakey disorganized personality. Either way you weren't going to get the check on time or in the right amount. Either way it was beyond the mom's control.

Making a harsh characterization like this adds emotional content that is unnecessary. It makes neither the decision, nor the implementation of the decision easier.

gotta go practice
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by eweiss
Bypass ALL the payment headaches by collecting payment for a full month in advance. Wow! Now there's a solution. No payment, no lessons. It doesn't get any simpler. sleep

I do, problem with this one was that she never paid the RIGHT amount! Plus SHE didn't bring kid, I never had the nerve to tell daughter to go away (she was getting rides from various people), wasn't her fault...you know? I have learned to get tougher now, so I guess I owe mom a thank you for that.

But the real answer is get a signed contract with payments due up front.

Yup, do that too. Still an issue when student isn't brought by person paying bills. Student says "oh shoot I left the check on the piano" or such things...

Once or twice turns into several, then it gets worse. She would apologize and catch-up and it would start all over again.

I know this is my fault. I know I should have gotten firmer sooner. I always *hope* things will work out, plus I really liked the girl and she is/was a good student so I put up with way more than I should have.

*Lesson* (Ha ha get it?).... learned!!
Hard way once again frown

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission