2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
50 members (Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 10 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I have been working with one of our resident concert pianist, Jeffrey Biegel, helping him develop his live online teaching program. (Disclaimer: Although I count Jeffrey as a friend, he also does some advertising on Piano World).

If you aren't familiar with Jeffrey, please see his bio and watch/listen to a few of his YouTube postings (or download/play some files from his web site).

Jeffrey Biegel BIO

Jeffrey is now offering live interactive piano lessons online using Skype.

We need to get some audio/video of this process in action live.

We are looking for a volunteer who already has a web cam, and is either familiar with Skype, or willing to learn quickly. (Skype is available free, and is pretty easy to use).
There is also a program called Pamela for Skype that offers a free 30 day trial. Pamela for Skype allows you to record your Skype audio/video sessions.

Bottom line, we need someone interested in a free piano lesson from a world renowned concert pianist/teacher, in return for recording the session.

Here's your chance to get help with that tricky passage, fingering, phrasing, whatever you want. It's also a chance to "meet" Jeffrey, who besides being a monster pianist happens to be a really nice guy. Time allowance will be made for getting the interactive audio/video working live over the Internet (You will still get a full, real lesson).

Please let me know if you are interested in helping, and how you plan on video taping your side of the online lesson.
If you plan on using a regular camcorder, how do you plan on feeding the video over the Internet, and how will you get a copy of the recording to me?

If you're using a web cam (built in and/or external), have you used Skype? Do you know how to record with it?

One last thing. While you don't need to wear a tux or a gown, neat professional appearance would be appreciated.

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
My teacher and I regularly go around to other teachers to get opinions on my playing, advice for technique, and help on the future. I don't have a webcam, but I use Skype with a mic but my teacher has her nice Mac Desktop right next to her pianos so she can record video from there of her playing on the webcam.

I haven't talked to her yet, but I'm 100% sure she would love to listen to anything Jeffrey has to say about either of our playing. I'm not sure how we'd record the session, but I'm definatly interested.

Matt

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I vote for it being Matt smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Debussy20
My teacher and I regularly go around to other teachers to get opinions on my playing, advice for technique, and help on the future. I don't have a webcam, but I use Skype with a mic but my teacher has her nice Mac Desktop right next to her pianos so she can record video from there of her playing on the webcam.

I haven't talked to her yet, but I'm 100% sure she would love to listen to anything Jeffrey has to say about either of our playing. I'm not sure how we'd record the session, but I'm definatly interested.

Matt

Matt,

Please discuss with your teacher and let me know what you come up with.

We'd like to be able to show the "live" lesson from both perspectives (Jeffrey's and yours).
Your teacher is of course more than welcome to join in.

Ideally the video you make on your side should show you of course, but it would be helpful if it were possible to get a shot of how you see Jeffrey coming through in the laptop as well.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Alright! I've got a lesson tonight, I'll talk to her about it.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i suspect Skype's sound/video quality may not be good enough though. there's another online service:

http://www.wiziq.com/Virtual_Classroom.aspx

which provide video, audio and white board for each session. the video screen is small though in classroom mode, but the sound quality is excellent. i tried lessons with my teacher using it.

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I trield Skype with Jeffrey, and with a member in Australia.
And I know Jeffrey has used Skype to teach a student in Singapore (Jeffrey is in NY).

The quality is more a matter of the equipment used, and most importantly, the speed of the connection.

It seemed to work ok.

But thanks for the tip signa, I'll check it out.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Talked to my teacher, we're very game. We actually talked and after watching Jeff's videos and reading his bio... we'd take a lesson for even if it's not free.

I have a camera, I doubt it's the quality that we need. I'll try to get one of a better quality. My teacher has a nice Mac Desktop right next to a Steinway Grand and Grotrian Grand. I think it's a good setup for a demo lesson.

Do you have any idea when this lesson would be.

Matt

6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Debussy20
Talked to my teacher, we're very game. We actually talked and after watching Jeff's videos and reading his bio... we'd take a lesson for even if it's not free.

I have a camera, I doubt it's the quality that we need. I'll try to get one of a better quality. My teacher has a nice Mac Desktop right next to a Steinway Grand and Grotrian Grand. I think it's a good setup for a demo lesson.

Do you have any idea when this lesson would be.

Matt

Sounds good Matt.
The lesson would be soon, we'd like to get the videos done as soon as possible.
I'll IM you Jeffrey's direct contact information so you and your teacher can work out the details with him.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Just popped in to say that if you have any problem converting the eventual video, so that it can be streamed over the Internet, placed on a web page, or made viewable by anyone, I would be happy to convert it to a flash streaming format, or the format of your choice.
Just let me know.

Regards,
Rob

Rob
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Matt and Jeff, make sure to let us know how it works out! I would guess that if the audio quality is good enough then many aspects of interpretation can be fruitfully discussed. But what about other aspects - how does it compare to a real-world lesson? What, if anything, is lost? It's an interesting experiment, in any case. Have fun! If it works nicely I would happily pay a lesson or two to get feedback from Jeffrey on some pieces.

P.S. One aspect of live lessons that I would not want to miss is the occasional little beer with my teacher after the work... smile

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by pianovirus
. One aspect of live lessons that I would not want to miss is the occasional little beer with my teacher after the work... smile

That need not be a problem.

As I recall, when testing out Skype, with Frank, he seemed to have a glass of some amber liquid handy, while we chatted :-)
As it was mid-morning in Australia , I could sadly not reciprocate :-(

Rob
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by R0B
. One aspect of live lessons that I would not want to miss is the occasional little beer with my teacher after the work... smile

That need not be a problem.

As I recall, when testing out Skype, with Frank, he seemed to have a glass of some amber liquid handy, while we chatted :-)
As it was mid-morning in Australia , I could sadly not reciprocate :-(

Strictly for medicinal puposes of course grin

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Remember the student here is under the legal drinking age in his country. laugh

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by DragonPianoPlayer
Remember the student here is under the legal drinking age in his country. laugh

WHAT?!?!!?

He means that you won't be able to have the occasional beer after like pianovirus.
smokin but in two years you'll be at the legal smoking age!

"Nie Dam Sie!"
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Matt and Jeff, make sure to let us know how it works out! I would guess that if the audio quality is good enough then many aspects of interpretation can be fruitfully discussed. But what about other aspects - how does it compare to a real-world lesson? What, if anything, is lost? It's an interesting experiment, in any case. Have fun! If it works nicely I would happily pay a lesson or two to get feedback from Jeffrey on some pieces.

P.S. One aspect of live lessons that I would not want to miss is the occasional little beer with my teacher after the work... smile

Ok guys, had a lesson with Jeffrey this morning. He plays sooo well it's unreal. I didn't play exceptionally well, but I think some of the ideas he talked about were hard for me to accomplish because I yet to think about it as in-depth as he described. I learned quite a bit in my hour long video lesson with him, and I'll probably be back to get some more lessons.

I think there's actually not a lot lost over the internet. I dont think any problems with the instruction really happen because you can see his hands while he can see yours. He corrected my on some thirds fingering.

We were able to discuss the first few bars of Beethoven's Op. 10 No. 3, a piece I just started. He helped me shape some ideas that will carry into, hopefully, the sonata competition I will do early next year.

It was a lot of fun, and I can't wait to do it again.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Fantastic! Will we get to see it in some fashion, then?

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I need to upload the audio and video to a computer and send them to Frank. I think he's going to put some of it together into basically a demo. Hopefully not all of it, as I played like crap for some laugh

Matt

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
grin

I see. We'll be excited to see it for certain. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission