2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
32 members (Cominut, Animisha, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, fullerphoto, admodios, busa, drumour, Foxtrot3, 3 invisible), 1,222 guests, and 265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 47 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 46 47
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Axtremus
Originally Posted by Theowne
Originally Posted by poulencfan

Although no one among the finalists particularly impressed as a sure thing, Zhang seems much more explainable for the gold than Nobu. I guess the jury is going for novelty.

I would say it seems more like the jury was going for the stated purpose of the award which is to have a pianist who can make those performances consistently and make headlines and bring audiences into the halls. Zhang, with his consistent playing and virtuosity, can do that, and so can Tsuuji, with his inspiring story. Like it or not, the competition isn't purely about best "pianist" in whatever subjective terms.
If I can be serious for a moment...

While I do not like the results, I agree with the criteria and that line of thinking. It's just that even with the same criteria in mind, I assess those pianists against those criteria differently than the juries have.

Except I don't the person who gave the criteria said anything about "making headlines" or "bringing people into the hall". The criteria he gave were readiness to perform the concerts right now and artistic merit.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I assumed it wasn't too much of a leap to assume the Cliburn wanted people to come watch their booked performances.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Tsujii's gold is mostly about the merit and headline for Cliburn competition. without his blindness factor i really don't think his performances would win the gold. i cannot argue about Zhang the same way, because he might deserve it with his consistency and prodigious techniques, although i feel he's not mature yet artistically.

somehow the result seems made up partly for publicity rather than anything else. they really need some uplifting story written aside their competition winner list.

btw, Bozhanov's chamber award is rightly deserved, but i don't think Son's chamber performance was at the same level.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
有的时候自己半夜12点从学校练完琴回家,走在空无一人的小道上,走着走着就哭得泪流满面了:我那么要强是为了什么?

Sometimes at mid-night I walked home from school after practicing, walking alone on a small trail, I suddenly felt my face covered with tears: Why do I work so hard, what is it for?

4/14/2006 Haochen's last blog entry (before getting too busy to write)

Last edited by newport; 06/07/09 10:56 PM.
P
P
Those of you who don't agree with the results are missing something crucial. This jury has seen thousands of world class pianists over the years, over numerous Cliburns and international competitions, seeing many pianists as good as Vacatello and Son and Bohzenov. They are aware that we will be saying the same thing about a new Vacatello and a new Son in four short years. Now, how often does a mature, polished, technical Wunderkind such as Zhang show up? He may not be all fireworks and showmanship, but he has an uncanny maturity to his playing that is far, far less common than the charisma and electricity of a Bohzenov. And the same goes for Tsujii. When has a blind pianist ever risen to the ranks of Cliburn FINALIST? I assure you that they haven't seen one before, and they most likely won't in four years. I couldn't agree more with their decision.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
again, uplifting story or publicity is the key for their decision.

i agree with what being mentioned earlier, the competition winners are not necessarily the best pianists. it's all subjective anyway even by different juries.

the only good thing about this competition is that we all got chances to watch online free recitals and concerts with some top level pianists!

Several contestants captured my attention, but only Nobu's music evoked an emotional response. Others may have played Rach better, but Tsujii was the only pianist to communicate to me. I am satisfied with the jury's decision.

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
And there is a reason why a jury is a jury and a forum poster is a forum poster.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by poulencfan
]Although no one among the finalists particularly impressed as a sure thing, Zhang seems much more explainable for the gold than Nobu. I guess the jury is going for novelty.

...or they recognized that he is a compelling artist and was more consistent and reliable than the other finalists.

After seeing Nobu at Bass Hall the past few weeks, my final opinion is that he can handle the poetic, Chopin-esque works, but beyond that, is out of his depth. He still needs to grow into the bigger stuff. Giving him the gold medal was a sentimental choice and a mistake.

Why should he need to play "the bigger stuff"? Both of the Beethoven sonatas that he offered were, in my opinion, superior to the sonatas and concerti offered by other contestants. However, since you mentioned "the bigger stuff," I heard Peter Serkin play the Hammerklavier live a few years ago and Nobu's performance was equally striking.

Zhang can play Prokofiev 2nd until he's blue in the face, and that's fine - it's his piece, he should play it, and it will serve him well. Nobu has his own personality and sound at the piano. He'll succeed by playing what he plays best (Beethoven, Debussy, and Chopin) and shouldn't be held against the standards of what others are playing. It's like criticizing Uchida for not playing the Corigliano Piano Concerto.

Now, let's talk about Bozhanov. I agree that he's an amazing artist and is worthy of merit and distinction. HOWEVER, if he had played in the finals like he did in the prelims and semis, he would have unquestionably won the competition. Something snapped and he all of a sudden became a different pianist. Maybe Conlon rubbed him the wrong way. Maybe he got tired of all the cameras. Maybe he couldn't get the rep up to his standards in time and gave up. He went from being a poetic, sensitive artist to a complete animal with "my way or the highway" as his motto. It was the most baffling thing I've ever seen. He was simply someone else for the entire last round.

Let's look at it another way. The two gold medalists come off as very humble, sincere people, even before being pianists. Do you think a conductor or promoter is going to hire someone who acts like a total jackass over them? I don't really care for her playing, but take note of how many concerts Joyce Yang is playing compared to Kobrin this year. It's about personality and reliability, and Bozhanov has much to learn in the former category.

I'm sad that Vacatello didn't medal. Wu was unremarkable from start to finish. I mostly agreed with the discretionary awards, with the exception of Son getting the chamber music prize.

Back to practicing. Watching this competition has eaten up too much of my time!

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by newport

Sometimes at mid-night I walked home from school after practicing, walking alone on a small trail, I suddenly felt my face covered with tears: Why do I work so hard, what is it for?

at least now he has an answer....

Y
yhc Offline
Y
Well, I'd still buy Bozhanov's CD when it comes out.

Last edited by yhc; 06/08/09 12:08 AM.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Debussy20

at least now he has an answer....

Yes, no more tears! yippie

I call this year's results "The Young and the Restless".

It is a good thing that there are two of them to share the burden of first prize. Both will benefit from a slightly lighter load.

Fredericch

And my personal list was:

Vacatello
Bozhanov
Zhang
Tsujii
Son
Wu

If it comes out...It's no secret that competitions aren't what they used to be 50 years ago, when it made a difference. In today's world I honestly don't see the two winners competing at the world's stage. It maybe insensitive to point out, but there is already plenty of people filling in the "chinese pianist" niche. And the silver medalist? Didn't she get the silver at the previous competition? I was amazed how little buzz and relevance the competition carried overall, and honestly the biggest discussion about it was...well, HERE! Amazing how the mainstream world simply isn't tuned in, because honestly there aren't any interesting personalities, stories, or real artistry involed. It turned into a purely academic, boring, restricted, and utterly rigged activity that has no relevance whatsoever. Competition's era is over, these older than old judges are irrelevant, they don't (haven't been for a long time) produce real artists, those who are able to have an impact, to create strong feelings in people's minds and hearts. I don't have anything against any of the contestants, but I am sorry, all of the recent "big" competitions is the very definition of mediocrity. Don't expect Glen Gould to ever win, his posture wouldn't have been "WRONG". I doubt we will ever have a personality like him, or Horowitz, or Gillels, let alone Rachmaninoff and Liszt. SAD! Never have I ever been so turned off by this whole thing! I will step outside for a breath of fresh air...

pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Soon we will be talking about nobody is filling in the American pianist niche when the Chinese pianist "niche" is becoming the maintream.

The only problem I see in competitions like these (not just in piano, but in everything) is that the Americans are falling out of relevancy, in their own turf. And they still don't know why. Blame someone else! LOL!

Go outside and smoke all you want, if it makes you feel better!

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
By the way, one doesn't need to be a psycho to make a great artist.

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
Originally Posted by Theowne
I assumed it wasn't too much of a leap to assume the Cliburn wanted people to come watch their booked performances.

Well, that goes without saying, but it's far different from saying that was one of the main criteria for choosing the winners. Similalry, your other statement about choosing the winners based on who would make the best headline was certainly not one of the "stated" criteria and highly cynical IMHO.

I think all the finalists are among the best young pianists in the world(most of them have aleady won other big prizes) and deserve far more respect than some PW members(especially the amateur pianists) are willing to give them.

If one looks at the musical accomplishments of the jury members compared to those who seem so ready to criticize them, I think that this is also highly out of place.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/08/09 08:37 AM.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Do we move on to the Tchaikovsky International now, or can we take a breather...

Thanks!

Originally Posted by newport

How to you get his blog to read in English? I think I got to his his blog site at his "Major seducer of music" page , but the only blog I could find was in Chinese:
http://haochen0603haochen0603.spaces.live.com/blog/

Thanks!

Page 41 of 47 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 46 47

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission