2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
55 members (beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Carey, CharlesXX, Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, 10 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Gary,

My teacher usually looks for the material and then brings it to my lesson without any input from me. Except for when I finished the Piano Adventures for Adults Book 1. I looked at the next levels of that series and told her that the approaches in that series would no take me where I wanted to go. So she brought to class Jane Magrath's Master Work Classics 1-2. I had also been perusing the different series and materials at the music store and felt that the Snell series using the theory and two repertoire books was written in an adult manner. So we combined the two. Plus she will bring in other books for supplementary material in other styles other than classical so I can play different music. Usually she'll ask if I want the book or not. For duets we are using Robert Vandal's duet books.

I did not get a chance for a thumbs up or down on the Bach and Mozart books because she had circled in pencil the pieces we would be working on prior to me being able to thoroughly go through the books and discuss things.

Does this help?

Sauter 122 Masterclass (M-Line)
A
OP Offline
A
The pieces have titles but who knows what composer catalog number it is or what larger work it comes from. For example a piece is called "Prelude for Beginners No. 1" which is the same as Prelude in D minor BWV 935 as indicated in Alfred. Since the other books that I have been using use the title, opus numbers, composer catalog number, source of a piece if it comes from a series of pieces written for student I am used to having this information. For example, in Snell Level 3 Romantic & 20th century Bartok's Folk Dance states it is "from For Children, vol. 1. In Alfred, Magrath, Snell anything from the Notebook for Anna Magdalena is so indicated with the BWV Anh number. Snell 3 Baroque & Classical has a Bach Musette as "Musette "from English Suite No. 3."

Last edited by A Rebours; 06/08/09 02:40 PM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
In searching for Karamar editions, I was led to a company called "East Coast Books." One of the citations which came up under this google search was this!

We don't want to get Frank or Piano World in trouble, so lets be very careful what we say in response to this thread.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
I am wondering how to ask this, or whether it should be asked, because different teachers will also have different approaches. If a student had the kinds of goals and attitudes that the OP expressed here, what might she expected to see from a teacher's side? What might the teacher be doing? Would there be exercises, or repertoire in a particular order or some things that usually get assigned at certain times? In another thread John spoke of the necessity of scales and exercises, for example (the 87 year old student, I think).

The question is about repertoire and editions, but maybe it's not about repertoire and editions.

A
OP Offline
A
John,
Thanks for the heads up. How do I contact the administrator of the Teachers Forum so he'll delete my posts? I surely didn't mean to get anyone into trouble here. I should have kept things more generalized.

Yikes!

What if the name of the edition were deleted and only the character of the edition were mentioned? For example, what might a student want to see and what should be avoided? The music that I inherited turns a Bach Gavotte into a romantic piece with the tempo almost half-speed and dynamics and phrasing that distorts the music completely. I can imagine someone saying that this is not a good way of learning about Bach or Baroque music. wink

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by keystring
I am wondering how to ask this, or whether it should be asked, because different teachers will also have different approaches. If a student had the kinds of goals and attitudes that the OP expressed here, what might she expected to see from a teacher's side? What might the teacher be doing? Would there be exercises, or repertoire in a particular order or some things that usually get assigned at certain times? In another thread John spoke of the necessity of scales and exercises, for example (the 87 year old student, I think).

Hi, Keystring,

I am learning all of the scales, arpeggios, chord inversions for all major and minor keys cadences. I am doing hands together scales multiple octaves. We are using a series of graded exercises and we work though the 2 graded series previously mentioned progressively, unless there is something she thinks I am capable of and we will do it out of order.

But like you, I think it would be interesting to know what other piano teachers' might be doing to address the goals I have.

I'll step out of this thread after this since it's the teacher forum and we are both students. I think you should talk to your teacher about goals, maybe set aside a time to do nothing but that. Some teachers in this forum actually book this once a year.

G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by A Rebours
John,
Thanks for the heads up. How do I contact the administrator of the Teachers Forum so he'll delete my posts? I surely didn't mean to get anyone into trouble here. I should have kept things more generalized.

Yikes!

Discussing what information is and is not included in different editions seems to me to be a separate issue.

I did not see the other thread John mentioned, but my hunch is that members were nasty and unfair. Even the way members attack each other in threads is often shocking to me.

I would first ask Frank (the owner) if there is a problem. So long as we continue to discuss fairly, I don't see where we have gone wrong. I don't believe anyone has been attacked.

Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
I don't have time to read the entire thread(s) right now, but in general...

It is ok to express your opinions in a public forum, provided they wouldn't be construed as defamation or slander (that's not legal advice, just a generalization).

Pointing out what you personally might consider flaws in a publication isn't any different than doing the same thing when talking about a product.

As for getting Piano World in trouble, we are protected by the law (as a "publisher"), however, as an individual you aren't.

I don't think it's wrong to point out the negatives if they are true. Part of what people come here for is to find out about products/companies/services.
They appreciate honesty .

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the clarification. We don't want to get you in trouble!

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission