2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Hello all,

A recent discussion got people interested in doing and sharing their work on some harmony exercises. Looking for material, I stumbled upon the San Francisco Conservatory's website. They have a variety of additional exercises online for their theory and musicianship courses. (They use Aldwell-Schachter)

So I propose a bit of a homework share. Let's start with the first worksheet - common chords.

Go here:

http://www.sfcmtheory.com/figured_harmony/figured_harmony.htm

And download "1.c Exercises"

Eventually, I'd like to get through the whole set. So...who will be the first to post?

(Do any of the exercises you want - I'd urge everyone interested to participate regardless of skill level. Give it a try. I'll do my best to provide my solutions with some commentary.)

Happy Harmonizing!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Good to have some common material, and I'm also interested to join you folks in going through the whole set over time.

Some stupid questions to begin with (I hope I don't get disqualified for them smile ):

1.) Is the task in ex. 1c to fill in two middle voices, obeying the rules of 4-part setting?

2.) Given that this is called 'common chords' does this mean we are allowed to use T, S, D and their parallels in ground form, but no inversions or other chords than these?

3.) What is the meaning of the '#' and 'natural' signs below the system? I'm just not familiar with the notation.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I've also been interested in joining. (But I may not have enough time to do all the exercises I want to until late this month.)

Here are my questions:
Based on the notes provided, I would guess that inversions are permitted.

Kreisler, is there a reason you have jumped to exercise 1c and skipped 1a Common Chords: Cadences and 1b Common Chords: Sequences? It seems to me that understanding and working through these exercises would help with understanding 1c.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
OP Offline
I thought people might be more interested in the longer examples that are in a more musical context. I'm happy to entertain questions and comments on the foundational exercises in 1a and 1b.

Perhaps we should devote this post to anything in 1...

And yes, I believe the 1c examples are given to fill in inner voices.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
M
M
Also, since the symbols below the staff are figured bass, and subsequent exercises deal with inversions, I think all of these chords are to be done in root position.

Kreisler, I'm interested in the one that has sequences, because my book has already touched on it and I think I can grow into that one. However, I am missing the approach that is used for sequences. Is there either a resource for that, or is it something that can be sketched out in a few words?

What I have in Horwood is a brief bit where the pattern in the soprano either ends up zigzagging its way down i.e E,F,D,E,C,D,B,C or descending in seconds like a scale. The pattern or approach he uses is "using a series of chords with roots raising a fourth and falling a fifth alternatively. This is sometimes known as the dominant sequence." [diagramatic examples follow]

Is that generally "it"? Is there more? Something I/we should know? [assessing whether to try it when I get the time]

OP Offline
Okay, here's the 2nd sequence from worksheet 1b.

The idea behind a sequence is that you have a pattern that is repeated at a higher or lower pitch level. Thus, whatever we use for the 1st measure we simply move down a step for the 2nd measure, and so on until the final cadence requires a break in the pattern.

My inner monologue went something like this:

"Okay, so we have roots in the bass and begin with a 3rd in the soprano. Usually, we like to double the root, so let's double the root in the alto and add the 5th in the tenor. The second measure has the 5th in the soprano, so the tenor and alto get the doubled root and the 3rd. Tenor can't go down to the third because it's a huge awkward jump. Tenor can't really go down to the fifth because it creates direct fifths with the bass (approaching a perfect consonant by similar motion is ethically questionable in counterpoint land.) So tenor has to go up to the 3rd, and the alto part gets to sit on the C:

[Linked Image]

I was unhappy with this for two reasons. First, I used to sing tenor (long ago), and that high A, while common in virtuoso operatic arias, is just a bit too high for my tastes.

So I thought I'd try the other option - begin by doubling the root in the tenor and put the 5th in the alto. This actually works out pretty well, the only problem being the direct fifths from beat 3 to beat 1, but that's not too bad because it's between the inner voices and one of them is stepwise.

Here's the finished result with the cadence added at the end:

[Linked Image]

www.pianoped.com
OP Offline
Oh, and somebody proofread me. I actually make a lot of mistakes, and while I'll do my best to edit this stuff before I post it, I can guarantee some mistakes will creep in.

Also, I tend to write based on experience, my ear, and my own version of "the rules." In my annotations, I'm giving you the way I think about things, and they may or may not line up with how the material is presented in textbooks or by real theorists. (For example, I'm pretty sure there's something fishy about what I said about direct fifths earlier, but it seems to work for me.)

YMMV! laugh

www.pianoped.com
OP Offline
HAHAHA! Found my first error already. The B in the tenor on m. 1 beat 3 and the A on m. 2 beat 3 in the first example should be down a step. The tenor should stay on the same note for beats 2 and 3 in both measures.

Ugh..this is why theory teachers always tell you to play your examples. Unfortunately, I'm sitting in the coffee shop and too lazy to get the headphones out. :P

www.pianoped.com
N
N
Originally Posted by Kreisler
HAHAHA! Found my first error already. The B in the tenor on m. 1 beat 3 and the A on m. 2 beat 3 in the first example should be down a step. The tenor should stay on the same note for beats 2 and 3 in both measures.

Ugh..this is why theory teachers always tell you to play your examples. Unfortunately, I'm sitting in the coffee shop and too lazy to get the headphones out. :P

And there I was thinking those were some interesting-sounding chords.

Jack
What is the meaning of the '#' and 'natural' signs below the system? I'm just not familiar with the notation

It means that that particular chord will have that kind of accidental in it.
Given that this is called 'common chords' does this mean we are allowed to use T, S, D and their parallels in ground form, but no inversions or other chords than these?

I had to look that one up. A "common chord" simply means one of the chords that in root position has three notes a third apart, i.e. occupying 3 adjacent lines or space in closed position: major, minor, aug or dim.

Last edited by keystring; 06/03/09 05:50 PM.
OP Offline
Yes, the # is figured bass shorthand for #3 and means a sharp third above the bass. You'll see things like b6, natural-3, etc...

They all relate to an interval above the bass NOTE. (Not necessarily the root of the chord.)

www.pianoped.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Here's my take on the 1st sequence in exercise 1b. Is this correct or are there any mistakes?

[Linked Image]

In that website, every topic seems to have some sequences associated with it. I have never seen sequences used so prominently. In my (German) books on harmony, sequences are just mentioned on one or two pages. In particular, one of them mentions "The functional analysis of sequences..." (like indicated by me below the notes) "...is usually not very helpful." This makes sense to me since after one atomic part the entire sequence is essentially predetermined, isn't it? The book recommends just to label the first atomic part (in this case bar 1: T D) and for the repetitions just mention their anchor points (here: bar 2=Tp, bar 3=S, bar 4=Sp).

So in a nutshell I'm currently a bit confused what is the learning goal from filling out the sequences? Oddly I also did not find anything on it in the Aldwell/Schachter book (3rd ed) which seems to be the basis for these exercises.

In any case, this is going to be fun. I hope we will have enough motivation to do this for some time!

PS. In my post, the image appears downscaled as compared to the original and therefore the lines look a bit strange. Does anyone know how I can adjust the scaling?
PPS. Thanks keystring & Kreisler for the notation explanation.

Last edited by pianovirus; 06/03/09 07:29 PM.
Is this the right idea? It's another exercise in 1b [Linked Image]

(Sorry about the smudgy appearance)

Yes, the # is figured bass shorthand for #3

Do accidental always refer to the 3 (middle note of chord in root position)?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Yes, the # is figured bass shorthand for #3

Do accidental always refer to the 3 (middle note of chord in root position)?

AFAIK, in basso continuo notation, an accidental without a number always refers to the third of a chord. In contrast, e.g. an augmented 4th would be denoted as 4#.

Edit: As often, Wiki seems to have some good summary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figured_bass

Thank you. smile

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Ex. 1c, part 1 -- any comments/hints would be welcome (tomorrow, I plan also to look at others' "homework", e.g. keystring, Kreisler). I just played it and it sounds quite strange!! (something wrong?)

[Linked Image]

I have tried to consider the following rules for harmonization (but I'm tired and have little experience so I guess there are quite some errors):

Doubling of notes:
--Never double the leading tone when it is part of V or VII
--Double more stable parts, often the root. The final chord almost always contains the root doubled.
--Never double the 7; in 7th chords sometimes the root is doubled and the 5th omitted

Forbidden parallel motions:
--Parallel unisons, octaves, and fifths WITHIN THE SAME PAIR OF VOICES
--Consecutive octaves or 5ths resulting from contrary motion
--Hidden 5ths or octaves (i.e. a 5th or octave is approached by similar motion): far less dramatic than real parallels, but at least avoid hidden octaves in the outer voices unless soprano moves by step

Btw, a more comprehensive summary of the "rules" is given on p. 78 of Aldwell/Schachter.

Good night from Switzerland for now smile

I'd love to participate. Can someone tell me how to post images of the exercises as everyone has been doing?

Also, I've always wondered, what's the big deal with all these parallels? I just don't hear anything strange. I'm studying theory on my own, and came across "implied parallels." This is frustrating! If I don't hear normal parallels, how can I catch implied ones?

Originally Posted by pianovirus
Here's my take on the 1st sequence in exercise 1b. Is this correct or are there any mistakes?

[Linked Image]

In that website, every topic seems to have some sequences associated with it. I have never seen sequences used so prominently. In my (German) books on harmony, sequences are just mentioned on one or two pages. In particular, one of them mentions "The functional analysis of sequences..." (like indicated by me below the notes) "...is usually not very helpful." This makes sense to me since after one atomic part the entire sequence is essentially predetermined, isn't it? The book recommends just to label the first atomic part (in this case bar 1: T D) and for the repetitions just mention their anchor points (here: bar 2=Tp, bar 3=S, bar 4=Sp).

So in a nutshell I'm currently a bit confused what is the learning goal from filling out the sequences? Oddly I also did not find anything on it in the Aldwell/Schachter book (3rd ed) which seems to be the basis for these exercises.

In any case, this is going to be fun. I hope we will have enough motivation to do this for some time!

PS. In my post, the image appears downscaled as compared to the original and therefore the lines look a bit strange. Does anyone know how I can adjust the scaling?
PPS. Thanks keystring & Kreisler for the notation explanation.

What do the symbols "T, D, Tp, etc." mean?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission