2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (Carey, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 13 invisible), 2,110 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Just found this amazing animated video over at YouTube.
All I can say is ... wow!

The music is by Yann Tiersen. I'm not familiar with his music but it sure goes well with the visuals here.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That's lovely Ed, thanks for posting.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Oh wow. I'm wiping away tears. So touching.

Best regards,

Deborah
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I know. I was crying too. One of the most poignant shorts I've ever seen. And somewhat cute!

R
R
Over here in the UK it's been distributed to schools (I'm not precisely sure why, I think they show it and then ask the kids to write about it or discuss it). The tragedy is that the animator spent hours making sure the pianist was using the correct fingering and playing in time to the music, but then for the version they sent to schools they had to change the music for copyright reasons.

It's a fairly easy piece to play, but it stretches your hands a bit! The music is from the film Amelie.

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Ya. The first time I saw it, my jaw dropped. It really affected me. I like the music, but when you combine it with what you see in this video ... magic!

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
OK. That got to me. Of course I was, in my late mother's old Southern expression, "born pretty close to the river." In other words, I tear up pretty easily.

Fortunately, it doesn't happen in court very often. grin It's hard to get weepy over business bankruptcy law.

The music was nice, in a repetitious kind of way. Very basic harmony, but nice.

Last edited by wdot; 05/27/09 07:28 PM.
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Bankruptcy law you say? You must be very busy these days! laugh

R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
That was mindblowingly beautiful!

Thank you for posting it.

Although I play that piece, I have never seen the movie.

I will always see that animation in my mind, whenever I hear the music from now on.

Rob
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
that s beautiful

is it me or the pianist looks like the elder richter?

I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Thename of the piece is Comptine d'un Autre Été

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBZPa-kLLCE&feature=related

Last edited by izaldu; 05/28/09 09:42 AM.
Ohh, yes, I was thinking of posting this. I love this short, it makes me cry everytime. It's touching, and warm.

The piece is easy, if you get past the left hand stretches, which aren't that hard for me, because I've got somewhat big hands. I highly recommend it, it's quite fun to play.

And yes, the name's Comptine d'un Autre Été: L'ápres-midi.

Just for some completion. wink

Last edited by Chopin is up there; 05/29/09 03:26 PM.

Currently: Kawai VPC1 + NI Noire / Keyscape

Previously: Yamaha DGX630, Yamaha P45, Studiologic SL990 Pro, Kawai ES110
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
The scene where the old woman turns into a ghost gets me every time. And really, I think films, shorts, and cinema is the art of our times.

Music's great, but when you combine it with the visuals you see here, it's very, very powerful and moving!

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Sorry if this sounds mean, because that is not really my intent, but it appears that there is a market for the kind of noodling at the piano I used to do a lot, roughly from age 15 to 26. Even back then, some of the very few people who ever heard me do it liked it, but I thought it was fairly mindless (oops, delete...I don't think I can use this word here) junk that I did as a sort of sedative. Perhaps the time for that kind of music has come...but could I still respect myself if I did it and put it out into the world?

J
J
Originally Posted by wr
Sorry if this sounds mean, because that is not really my intent, but it appears that there is a market for the kind of noodling at the piano I used to do a lot, roughly from age 15 to 26. Even back then, some of the very few people who ever heard me do it liked it, but I thought it was fairly mindless (oops, delete...I don't think I can use this word here) junk that I did as a sort of sedative. Perhaps the time for that kind of music has come...but could I still respect myself if I did it and put it out into the world?

Exactly what do you get out of comments like this? This music touches people's hearts. I see no higher purpose for music.

This exact piece is what made me start playing the piano a couple of years ago for what it is worth. Guess I ought to be ashamed of myself ;-)

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
No shame necessary Jacob777. That video (and the music) does touch people. No need for analysis here. No need for comparing it to the "classical repertoire." It stands on its own as the heart touching short it is.

What always gets me (and what I don't understand) is why people feel so threatened by those who like to "doodle" at the piano. As if we must all play Mozart, Beethoven, etc.

In fact, I encourage people to just sit down at the piano and play whatever comes to mind. It's very liberating! grin

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by eweiss
No shame necessary Jacob777. That video (and the music) does touch people. No need for analysis here. No need for comparing it to the "classical repertoire." It stands on its own as the heart touching short it is.

What always gets me (and what I don't understand) is why people feel so threatened by those who like to "doodle" at the piano. As if we must all play Mozart, Beethoven, etc.

In fact, I encourage people to just sit down at the piano and play whatever comes to mind. It's very liberating! grin

I hardly feel threatened by it, myself. As I said, I did a lot of it for years when I was younger (and so I know something about how it works). But I also know it is pretty insipid stuff compared to Mozart, Beethoven, etc., and it just amazes me that there is apparently such a large and enthusiastic fan base for it.

You may have noticed that this forum is mostly about ye olde classical, even if the forum name doesn't say that is what it is (and the business about the name not being clear about the nature of the forum has come up before as an issue). But there is a another forum specifically labeled as non-classical, which is sort of the big clue. So does it really surprise you that maybe some people here are a little impatient with new age-y stuff? I don't overtly hate it like some people here do, but this may not be the best place to discuss it.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Jacob777
Originally Posted by wr

Exactly what do you get out of comments like this? This music touches people's hearts. I see no higher purpose for music.

This exact piece is what made me start playing the piano a couple of years ago for what it is worth. Guess I ought to be ashamed of myself ;-)

What I get out of it is letting people know what I am thinking about things, which I assume is pretty much the same thing you are doing. Is that a problem?

I really am wondering what it would feel like if I put my own mindless noodling out in the world and people thought it was a lot better music than I think it is. Maybe it wouldn't matter.

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Labeling this music as insipid is just inviting conflict. You don't like it. I get it. But ye olde classical isn't the only thing played on the piano so why compare in the first place?

And the fan base isn't as big as you think it is. There's a much larger classical music fan base than New Age ... me thinks.

J
J
Well, some people try to take a second before expressing a thought to someone and think about whether it contributes anything of meaning to the individual it is being communicating to. Will the other person be enlarged, be happier, more creative because of it - isn't this also what we attempt when we play music for someone?

If the thought is nothing but an awkward attempt at establishing myself as an authority on what is and is not good music I would hope that I could keep it inside, as it contributes nothing of value to anyone. If a thought pollutes maybe we should try to repress it?

As for "mindless"? Well, maybe you just have to be a really basic creature with an IQ that is in the low range to enjoy it... But I hope you get what I get out of this from somewhere else. I would not want my worst enemy to leave this life without experiencing this feeling.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission