2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 17 invisible), 2,123 guests, and 336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
At my lesson the other day - trying to play Brahms Waltz with the right rhythym my teacher said "and don't memorize".

The funny thing is, is that I don't memorize anything, it just happens - my teacher said that it's because I have a good ear and we both said at the same time "it can be a pain in the ----

I always have to keep reminding myself to look at the music - fun and games. Does anyone else have this happen?

Can you explain why she said "don't memorize"...I'm not getting the problem. Thanks.

Righty-O!
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It's really not a problem - I think she said it because I don't always look at the music and if I get lost -- it's hard for me to find the right note to get back on track.

She wants me to always look at the music - we both laughed when this was said. I guess it's good to have a good ear, the funny thing is I wouldn't know how to memorize as I mentioned it just happens.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by musdan
It's really not a problem - I think she said it because I don't always look at the music and if I get lost -- it's hard for me to find the right note to get back on track.

She wants me to always look at the music - we both laughed when this was said. I guess it's good to have a good ear, the funny thing is I wouldn't know how to memorize as I mentioned it just happens.

This exactly mirrors my experience with my teacher. I tend to superficially memorize without thinking and my teacher encourages me to keep my eyes more on the music.

As noted, it's hard to find your place after a minor mistake if you take your eyes off the music. It's also true for me that if I start relying on memory too early I haven't really taken in everything that the score offers in the way of dynamic, tempo, and phrasing marks.

I think that many people who memorize quickly are like me and only absorb a quick "muscle memory" version of the notes. If I really want to depend on my memory for a confident performance I've still got to consciously spend additional time developing my aural, visual, and intellectual memory of a piece. I only do this for a minority of the pieces I work through and always at the very end of the process.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Yes! I memorize stuff all the time even when I am not trying too. It's almost unavoidable when you are doing something repeatedly.

Maybe she just wants to make sure you develop your reading skills. That's the only "problem" I can think of. Since I remember things too quickly then I stop looking at the music... then I don't develop my site reading. Or, if I forget a part and I am not reading along then I am lost...

I read somewhere to site read something new everyday. I think that is good advice. Then you develop your reading and you are not playing by memory,

I am working harder on following along with the music as I play so I will know where I am if I forget something. But, I am still playing by memory even if I am looking at the music.

“The doubters said, "Man cannot fly," The doers said, "Maybe, but we'll try,"
And finally soared in the morning glow while non-believers watched from below.”
― Bruce Lee
L
L
Now I'm REALLY confused. In my ignorance I sort of thought memorizing a piece was sort of the whole point of the exorcise.

Last edited by Ludwig van Bilge; 05/28/09 03:56 PM.
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
It's good to have fellow travelers.

I'm always telling myself - look at the music - wonder what it would be like if we had a wind-up doll saying "sight-read, look at the music" until it became second nature.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
I sort of thought memorizing a piece was sort of the whole point of the exorcise.

It's definitely not for me. In a typical year I may seriously work on 30-50 pieces but almost all of those are only partially developed. I work through the major issues with my teacher and then we go onto something else.

We're trying to cover a lot of literature from a lot of periods so that I get exposure and some experience with the widest possible range of technical and musical issues. Only a few of these pieces do I spend the extra time to really polish and securely memorize.

And I'll say it again: the kind of memorization that happens automatically with me is a very shallow kind of "muscle memory". It is quite transient and not particularly reliable for serious performance. I've got to work a lot harder to memorize in the complete sense of that word.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by musdan

I always have to keep reminding myself to look at the music - fun and games. Does anyone else have this happen?

When you're not looking at the music are you looking at the keys? I'm curious if you don't look at the music AND don't look at the keys if you still exhibit this memorization capability. It's possible you're memorizing the visual image your hands present, and it's easy to test that theory by staring off into space to see if you can still play from memory.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I don't look at the keys has I play - my father always said I have a good ear for music and my teacher said the same thing.
Someone wrote that it may be repition - who knows.

It just happens - don't know how. How does that song go "doin what comes naturally".

Occasionally I do take a quick look at the keys - but it's just a quick check.

G
G
What about Concert pianists? I've seen them play a whole recital without any music - AND they seem to look at the keys quite a lot. Sure I look at the music to practise the difficult bits but when I "perform" it I play entirely from memory
If it's good enough for the Professionals..........

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ludwig van Bilge
Now I'm REALLY confused. In my ignorance I sort of thought memorizing a piece was sort of the whole point of the exorcise.

Don't be confused. smile It varies from person to person. For me, memorizing a piece is the whole point of the exercise as you say. I consciously work at memorizing the pieces that I learn and I don't consider a piece learnt until I can play it from memory. My whole goal is to acquire a repertoire of memorized pieces that I can play anytime, anywhere, anyplace without the sheet music. And since I am playing from memory I do look at my hands; a memory of my hands' configurations on the keys goes along with muscle memory, theoretical memory, and auditory memory. Looking at one's hands is only discouraged when one is sight reading, not when playing from memory.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Granny6
If it's good enough for the Professionals..........

I happened to be re-reading a chapter of Josef Lhevinne's "Basic Principles in Pianoforte Playing" just today and ran across this observation (written in 1924):

"The custom of playing everything by memory is of comparatively recent introduction. Very few musicians at the time of Mozart, Hayden or Beethoven ever thought it necessary...it gradually became the thing to appear in concert without the printed notes and very few artists of any considerable standing have played with notes to any extent during the last twenty-five years."

A couple of years ago I saw Stephen Hough premier a new piece in concert with the printed score. It's also interesting to notice the use of printed scores by major conductors where there is a decided mix of practices. I wonder whether, in a few more years, conducting without the score will become as expected by critics as memorized performance by soloists is now.

I guess the point of all this rambling is that performing without the score is a practice with a varied history and is certainly not essential to the artistry of the music.

Last edited by packa; 05/28/09 07:19 PM.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
musdan Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
I might add that sometimes "I hear the music" before I've learned the piece. Usually it's something I've heard along the way. My father played for himself quite often, ballet classes etc..

Concert pianist probably look at their hands to be sure they are in the right place at the right time - concertos and the many pieces they play - maybe someone with performance experience can jump in.

Anyway, I'll keep telling myself to look at the music until it becomes second nature.

O
O
It's a blessing and a curse. When you memorize unintentionally, and you "zone out" and don't pay attention to the sheet music (this happens to me often), you can often lose your spot. Or worse, say that you're performing, and you are going off on auto-pilot, if you freak-out, then everything you memorized unintentionally goes out the window. This is why it was suggested to me that you should try not to play on auto-pilot. To a certain degree, you HAVE to memorize the music (even if it's just reading off of the sheet music), especially for complex pieces - whether you know it or not.

I think memorizing unintentionally can stem from a wide variety of sources, such as through muscle memory, ear-training memory
and photographic memory. Sometimes I surprise myself because I remember being really bad, but the next time I come to the piano, I end up playing it perfectly. I read something about PPI? (post-performance something?) in which your muscles develop and your memory develop when you're away from the piano and sleeping. Kinda like how when you develop your muscles, you work them out, but the developing is done when you're sleeping. Very interesting theory... Maybe someone else read about it and can share more.

E
E
Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze
I read something about PPI? (post-performance something?) in which your muscles develop and your memory develop when you're away from the piano and sleeping. Kinda like how when you develop your muscles, you work them out, but the developing is done when you're sleeping. Very interesting theory... Maybe someone else read about it and can share more.

I can relate to that. Especially finger exercises. I don't usually get them the first time, but some quiet time later it seems alright.

H
H
I tend not to memorize, but I know parts of it are there, because I can phase out and completely lose it. It's not often that I totally misplace myself on the sheet though, I'm usually right there, but some times I know I'm not reading and it kind of freaks me out. I know I could memorize (and I do want to memorize some pieces because in the end, I want the same thing that Jazzyprof wants to do), but I haven't found the pieces I'd like to do that with yet and I don't trust myself -- if that makes any sense -- without the music open.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
For me piano = practice with sheet music and study as long as it takes until all notes (finger+hand movements) are stored in 'muscle memory'.
By that point I still need the sheet music for some time, to keep track of where I am and to study in more detail all the other musical symbols (like dynamics and tempo indications). Then after a while I simply don't need the sheet music anymore.

Unless you are some sort of piano god and can play advanced pieces just by looking at the score, isn't memorizing the very essence of piano playing.
Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat until it's stored in memory... and when you can finally play the notes on auto-pilot, you can actually take control, LISTEN to what you play, start polishing and bring more feeling into it.

Wow...what a great thread. I definately have "muscle memory". I can't memorize worth beans when I try, but it does seem to just happen when I play something repeatedly. Of course, then if I WANT to play it from memory I can't! I'm glad I'm not alone out here......

So my question is: is muscle memory really "bad"? Do I have to work at trying NOT to do it?

Righty-O!
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Muscle memory happens by repetition of the same physical action over and over. It's not necessarily bad, but it will forsake you in the middle of a live performance. That is, when you get stuck, you won't be able to start again at the same place.

True memorization has to be in the brain. If you have a piece memorized, you should be able to start, or re-start at any measure and proceed from there.

Joe Whitehead ------ Texas Trax
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission