2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
24 members (johnesp, clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, 9 invisible), 1,264 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by tomasino
It's quite interesting. There appears to be a distinctly different set of attitudes--biases, if you like--between the regular contributors to the piano forum and the pianist corner. I wonder why.

One possible answer to that question may be that a number of those who post opinions about piano brands and personal preferences in the Piano Forum are very knowledgeable about many brands because they have had experience with many brands. They list their favourites from a wide base of experience.

I would guess that some of those posting on this thread so far have much more limited experience with a variety of even major brands manufactured and hence the comparison doesn't seem to be valid - maybe.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Bruce, I think that points up what's ultimately so inane and invalid about any "My Favorite" thread. Unless one has comprehensive familiarity with the depth and breadth of the array of elements comprising a field, there's no basis for declaring any particular item your favorite—only that you like it.

I'd love to see a Favorite Scarlatti Sonata thread, or even Favorite Chopin Mazurka. How many people are knowledgeable enough about all of them legitimately to select a "favorite"? I would wager that for lots of us, our would-be favorite object in any category that's not small and circumscribed is something we haven't yet experienced.

Steven

X
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
X
I agree with Steven, I haven't played enough pianos to really know. Despite that, every Steinway I've played has had incredible sound, especially my teacher's when she opened the lid for me last lesson when I played for her and another student, it made me sound so much better!
The nicest piano I've played though was my church's Mason and Hamlin, oh my gosh...I decided I had to play the second page of Clair De Lune on it [all the chords with octave hits in the bass] and my God....it sounded beautiful. It made me want to cry.
I like Yamaha's, but don't have enough experience with their nicer models to really say if they belong in my favorites.

Last edited by xxmynameisjohnxx; 05/26/09 07:29 PM.

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by sotto voce
Bruce, I think that points up what's ultimately so inane and invalid about any "My Favorite" thread. Unless one has comprehensive familiarity with the depth and breadth of the array of elements comprising a field, there's no basis for declaring any particular item your favorite—only that you like it.

Perhaps a version of your above quote should be programmed to be posted, automatically, at the beginning of every "My/your favourite/best [whatever] thread. While I don't often hesitate to be grouchy and crotchety as befits my station in life, I have heretofore resisted the response : "Yes, but how well do you really know the other 31 Sonatas, 103 Symphonies, 600+ songs, 81 makes of pianos", etc., etc. frown

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
At 6.7 billion and counting, I suppose absolutely no one is qualified to name their favorite person in the world.

And really, anyone who answers that query with their significant other/spouse/whathaveyou should be shot. Then the answers of those who remain would carry a little more weight.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission