2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (crab89, CraiginNZ, bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, 9 invisible), 1,226 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 47 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 46 47
Ugh the distortion is awful, every loud chord is accompanied with distortion...

Last edited by bplary1300; 05/25/09 08:43 PM.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
What do you think of the following statement:

"And some hint that the old "Russian school" of training a battalion of classical pianists to create a highly physical, even volcanic sound may now not only suffer in comparison with the emerging Asian stylistic school, but finally may yield far fewer truly impressive masters of that once-singular Russian sound."

Van Cliburn 2009: Russian pianists dwindling in number
04:54 PM CDT on Friday, May 22, 2009

By ANDREW MARTON / Special Contributor to The Dallas Morning News

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
there's no wonder about that, as far as population goes and globalized music/piano education, Asia will produce more pianists than any country in the rest of world.

N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I am intrigued by the term "Asian Stylistic School" ... I think there is something to it.

Last edited by newport; 05/25/09 09:04 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I am not so sure one can speak of an Asian school yet. Certainly not from the perspective of a high end competition like the Cliburn. I am defining 'Asian School" as a music teaching tradition, not based on an individual's nationality.
Despite the plethora of Asian nationalities (may be 50% of all competitors), there are only 2 competitors who are graduates from (or currently at) Chinese conservatoires: Feng Zhang (Shanghai) and Ning Zhou (also Shanghai). Zhang Zuo started at Shenzhen but is now at Eastman, so she probably counts as a Chinese graduate.
There is one competitor fully trained in Japan (Tsujii). I think 2 more had partial training in Japan and Korea, respectively.
If anything, the "American School" is over-represented. However if you look at equally prestigious competitions elsewhere, such as the International Tchaivovsky competition, the majority of the winners are Russian. Politics, anyone?

Last edited by Andromaque; 05/25/09 09:22 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Rashkovskiy has to be the most right-handed pianist I have ever heard! I am always partial to a pianist who picks Op. 110, but I was very unimpressed.

As far as the 'asian stylistic school' goes, whatever seems to accompany them in their conquest is not in their favor. I have yet to be impressed by an imaginitive Asian schooled pianist. Lang Lang has come close a few times, Yundi Li may have impressed me with his slight originality in the Liszt sonata, Kudo's Vine sonata was decent,,, but their training and approach to the piano is evident in their playing. While on the subject, Zhang Zuo's performance, to me, embodied the Asian approach to our music in program, technique, and style... yet I did enjoy her performance.

Did anyone else think that Stanislavsky's choice of the Ligeti Capriccios was a bit odd? While the capriccios are very wonderful and 'cute' in their own way, I've never seen them as very representative of Ligeti's genius...

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
As someone said earlier, we shouldn't get too caught up in what Cliburn's website puts as "nationality" and then start speaking about "Asian" and "American" stylistic patterns in piano playing...there are a lot of competitors with Chinese flags next to their titles on the biographies but most of them attended schooling in the West. Thank globalization or whatever, but we can no longer assume that we are watching the different approaches of different nations to piano-education when we see a wide variety of contestants in terms of backgrounds in these competition. I'm sure it's tempting to watch Ilya Rashkovskiy, see the Russian flag, and then make all kinds of delicate comments about Russian pianistic techniques....except that he moved to Germany for music schooling.

Last edited by Theowne; 05/25/09 09:32 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by L'echange
\ While on the subject, Zhang Zuo's performance, to me, embodied the Asian approach to our music in program, technique, and style... yet I did enjoy her performance.

Yes, that certain (almost scripted) "style" is very evident in ZZ's playing in many aspects, which I enjoy because it's not (in my mind) the antiseptic European style. In fact, she has the same teacher in ShenZhen as YDL, SC, and Haochen Zhang.

Last edited by newport; 05/25/09 09:34 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I don't mind music being free of contamination or pollution! laugh ...Just foolin'

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In Nobuyuki Tsuji's performance portrait, he begins to play some piece on the piano after a brief snippet talking about how he composed music when he was ten years old. Does anyone know what he is playing there? (If not, I assume it's his own composition). Sounds nice...

http://www.youtube.com/user/Theowne- Piano Videos (Ravel, Debussy, etc) & Original Compositions
音楽は楽しいですね。。。
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Anyone else absolutely love that Lam played some Granados? I think she could have cranked up the volume in a couple spots in the Quejas..., but I guess she conserved energy to get through that Kernis Etude... smile

I enjoyed her playing.

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Yes, but I'm enjoying the Stravinsky from Haochen Zhang even more.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I haven't caught up to all the contestants but so far, of the ones I've listened to I've enjoyed Haochen Zhang, Lam, Di Wu and Vacatello the most.

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
B
BZ4 Offline
B
I also enjoyed Lam's take on part of the "Goyescas". I followed with the score--pretty tricky. I enjoyed her playing--and that "Superstar" Etude was way cool with the jazz inferences!

BZ4
Estonia 190
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
I'm unable to listen but I'm pleased Andrea Lam's performances have been well received. I first heard her play here in Oz quite a few years ago when she was about 13.

Du holde Kunst...
J
J
I heard Amy Yang perform in NYC several years ago. She is a tremendous artist. I noticed she has not programmed any real "blockbusters" in the sense of the Carnaval, Liszt Sonata, Spanish Rhapsody, Chopin Sonatas, etc., but rather "musical blockbusters" such as the Davidsbundlertanze, Berg Sonata and Brahms Op. 119. I must admit there has been a very consistently high level of playing amongst all of these competitors, but if Ms. Yang plays the same way tomorrow that she did in NYC, I think she'll emerge as a front runner. Sound is very important to me.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Standing ovation for Chetan Tierra! Great Ginastera1
Thanks EMR.

I really enjoyed his playing a lot. Unfortunately, he'll likely be eliminated to due to the last couple minutes of the Liszt ballade...:(

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Theowne
As someone said earlier, we shouldn't get too caught up in what Cliburn's website puts as "nationality" and then start speaking about "Asian" and "American" stylistic patterns in piano playing...there are a lot of competitors with Chinese flags next to their titles on the biographies but most of them attended schooling in the West. Thank globalization or whatever, but we can no longer assume that we are watching the different approaches of different nations to piano-education when we see a wide variety of contestants in terms of backgrounds in these competition. I'm sure it's tempting to watch Ilya Rashkovskiy, see the Russian flag, and then make all kinds of delicate comments about Russian pianistic techniques....except that he moved to Germany for music schooling.

Quite often, however, there are Russian professors in the music schools.

I have remarked at competitions that the young Chinese pianists, generally speaking, speak Russian.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by kcostell
Generally the Cliburn handles students of jurors by simply forbidding jurors from scoring their own students. Since the voting is also done without discussion (each juror just gives each competitor a score from 1-25 and a computerized averaging system kicks in), jurors don't have too much opportunity to push their own students before votes are in.

That is all very well, but it really doesn't completely eliminate problems of bias caused by allowing students of jurors to compete. For one thing, although a juror may not get to vote on their own, they certainly can undervalue those who aren't their students. And there's some kind of inherent unfairness in the fact that all competitors don't have the same number of jurors, since the number will be reduced each time a juror has to pass. I also doubt that all of the jurors really are always completely unaware of who the teacher of some of the competitors are.

I've read of some piano competitions where students of jurors are simply forbidden to compete, so it is possible to do that. I seem to remember the Cliburn giving some lame excuse for not adopting that policy, some nonsense about how hard it was to find qualified jurors, which just on the face of it seems to me like a laughably transparent fabrication. They have, for reasons I don't understand, at least one favored juror who seems to always have students competing. Hmmm....

To be fair, I have not looked at the history of the competition to tally up the statistics of that sort of information (if it's even available without hiring a PI). I think it would be a much healthier situation if they at least rotated out the jurors.

D
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CherryCoke
Originally Posted by Andromaque
Standing ovation for Chetan Tierra! Great Ginastera1
Thanks EMR.

I really enjoyed his playing a lot. Unfortunately, he'll likely be eliminated to due to the last couple minutes of the Liszt ballade...:(

Quite a memory lapse in the Brahms Paganini variations as well. Despite the mistakes, I still liked his performance.

Page 9 of 47 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 46 47

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission