2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.9 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Petrof Pianos
Petrof Pianos
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Karsten Collection
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
Who's Online Now
25 members (AlphaBravoCharlie, alexii, ECBetancor, djvu10, CyberGene, clothearednincompo, Jay, Greta99, 4 invisible), 385 guests, and 362 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Do you think this is a good place to start WTC?
#1203813 05/22/09 02:47 AM
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
So I've done a couple inventions now and a three part, and I'm wanting to work on a WTC this summer. I won't have much contact with my teacher over the summer so I'm mostly on my own [I won't be seeing her for over a month from right now, so I want to get some advice here and at school before I go for this]
I want to start with the fm P&F from book I. The tempo seems slow enough that the main challenge will be the voicing of both the prelude and fugue and learning how to really bring out the subject of a fugue without having to worry about getting it "up to speed" I think, personally, that this is a good one to start with because it'll really give me time to focus on the voicing which is what REALLY matters in a fugue. But I don't know all 48 P&F's to well [I've listened to them all, but I haven't listed to them all with a score nor could I hum their themes.]
So, does anyone here who has played/taught the WTC have any advice on this? If you don't think the Fm book one is a good place to start, may I ask where you think is so I can give it a good listen with the score and decide for myself? Also, if you think a different one is a better starter, please give reasons why so that I can keep them in mind while listening. [I don't really want to do the cm book I, a friend of mine at school just did it so I don't want to be doing the same one as him. If you feel it's the best to start with I'll consider it though.]

Last edited by xxmynameisjohnxx; 05/22/09 02:50 AM.

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
Re: Do you think this is a good place to start WTC?
xxmynameisjohnxx #1203896 05/22/09 09:08 AM
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
My first P&F was No. 2 in c minor, which I thought was a good start. I enjoyed it musically and the fugue was a 3-part one, which I recommend you begin with. Also, to start I recommend choosing a key signature with not a lot of sharps or flats, just because sometimes the reading can be difficult and bog you down (with double flats or double sharps), and you don't want that for your first one. As you grow accustomed to fugues, however, that shouldn't be as much of a problem. Another good one to start would be No. 21 in B-flat major. I think this fugue is one of the most beautiful ones, too. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Morodiene #1203900 05/22/09 09:16 AM
i think the d major prelude is very helpful (#5?).. not difficult to learn... not to0 helpful with voicing on the surface.

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
apple* #1203959 05/22/09 11:34 AM
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
I say at the bottom of my post I don't particularly want to do the c minor one just because I had a friend who just finished learning it. I'll definitely check out the B-flat major one though. I was thinking starting with a three voice would be good since I've only done one 3 part sinfonia, not two or three of them, that way I'm also not throwing myself into to much as far as voices go.

The only issue I have with the B-flat is that it's fast, which is one of the things I didn't particularly want for my first one.

xxmynameisjohnxx #1204024 05/22/09 01:18 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
No, I don't think that this is a particularly "good place to start" in the WTC. You say that you want to start with a 3-voice fugue but this is one of the longer, more difficult four-voice fugues; tempo alone is not the deciding factor on how difficult a Bach fugue can be. The F minor fugue is a long, complex, four-voice work, with some uncomfortable stretches and the necessity of often playing a voice that shifts between the two hands. While this often happens in Bach, it's even more challenging in this fugue. There are at least a dozen more from Book I that are considered easier than the F minor.

The C minor is among the easiest of the Preludes and Fugues, so unless the fact that a friend recently studied it is a real deterrent to you, then it would be a good place to start.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #1204078 05/22/09 02:33 PM
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
Alright then. I'll definitely give the C minor a good look.
Except ther ecording I have of the C minor prelude is awful. It's Gould's...and he's playing it WAY slower than the metronome mark [marked at 144 per quarter, he's playing maybe 80 or 90] and there was no expression throughout the prelude, just straight. But I do rather like this P&F so I'll either do this, or the D major.
Also, what about the Fm from book II? I just listened to it, it's a 3 voice fugue not 4 and all the stretches and voices look very manageable. Would that work?

xxmynameisjohnxx #1204091 05/22/09 02:48 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Remember that Bach never gave metronome markings, nor, except in very rare occasions, did he even given tempo indications. What edition gives 144 = quarter note? That's faster than anything listed except Czerny! As far as the tempo for the C minor is concerned, tempos vary widely from pianist to pianist, and Gould, as good as his Bach may be, was often eccentric about tempos.

Prelude : Gulda = 63 to the quarter; Richter = 132 to the quarter
Fugue : Gulda = 60 to the quarter; Gould and Martins = 88 to the quarter.

Take note of this comment by Palmer in the Alfred edition to Bk I;

"The wide divergence of supposedly knowledgeable opinion [about tempos] could be the subject of a long discussion. Praeludium 24 (B minor) is a particularly interesting example. Compare Malcolm Hamilton's quarter note = 40 with Glenn Gould's 84 and Anthony Newmans 132! This editor would be the last to say that any of these tempos is wrong. ... It was completely in the Baroque spirit to leave the choice of tempo to the performer."

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 05/22/09 02:53 PM. Reason: to add quote from Palmer

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #1204099 05/22/09 02:57 PM
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
I'd forgotten Bach gave no metronomes. the version I have is a public domain version I downloaded with a torrent, it's the Funper edition. I was planning to go out and buy the actual book once juries are done so I can begin working on it seriously.
But that is interesting about Baroque tempos.

Did you see the part about the F minor book II? It's a 3 voice fugue and seems real straight forward, would that be a good idea?

Last edited by xxmynameisjohnxx; 05/22/09 03:03 PM.

xxmynameisjohnxx #1204107 05/22/09 03:08 PM
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
The F minor from Bk II might be a possibility. It's not as difficult as the F minor from Bk I.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
BruceD #1204111 05/22/09 03:13 PM
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
Alright. I'll try to decide between the Cm and the Fm BkII. I'll just decide based on musical likings, not difficulty of learning either.

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Musician's Hand Sanitizer available in our online store (and our Maple Street Music shop in Cornish Maine). Antibacterial, 62% ethyl alcohol. Hand Sanitizer for Musicians
Tons more music related products in our online store!
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
Where Did The Buttons Go?!
----------------------
Our April 2020 Newsletter Available Online Now...
The Piano World During the Pandemic!
----------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Boris Giltburg's Rach 2nd w/o orchestra
by BeeZee4 - 06/03/20 11:59 PM
Mozart K 540: Adagio in Bm: Fingering help
by Lotus1 - 06/03/20 08:39 PM
Buying Piano for Daughters - Looking for Guidance
by The_What_Stage - 06/03/20 05:26 PM
Going to be a concert pianist...
by U3piano - 06/03/20 04:48 PM
Roland digital piano f-140r weird note drop
by Teodor2002 - 06/03/20 04:47 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums41
Topics199,387
Posts2,965,792
Members97,296
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2020 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission