2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 317 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
E
etcetra Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
I have couple of questions...

1) when you transcrib do you base your accidentals on the key you are in or the chord you are current on?

For example you have a tune that's mostly a Cmin blues but you have a Bmaj7#11 in the middle.. would you respell Bb as A# to reflect that chord or stick with Bb?

2) how much do you guys transcribe, and how much do you guys transcribe. how often do you guys learn something without writing them down?

when I am focused I do about an hour a day, but if I have too many other things I have to work on, I won't transcribe for couple of weeks.. its like a cycle i guess.. I do at least 2 a month.

3) what if your ears and what you transcribe is way ahead of what you can do technically?

I can transcribe Kenny Kirkland's solo but I don't think I can play them at tempo yet... I can always transcribe easier solos by wynton kelly or someone else, but I've done plenty of those already and their playing won't be 'new' to me. I am hoping that eventually i will be able to play them.

4) how well can you transcribe solo piano or big band stuff, where there are multiple voices involved?

If I spend enough time I will be able to figure out all the notes played at the moment.. its so darn hard to hear more than 3 voices at the same time, I am starting to able to hear the notes that's "sandwitched" in between.. being able to hear them does give you a very different perspective on counterpoint

J
J
Good questions.

I do a lot of transcribing, and the first question I'd ask is whether the BMaj7 chord should be spelled as a CbMaj7 chord. Spell the Maj7 and the #11 accordingly.

If the chord is a CbMaj7 (chromatically leading back to the Cmin), I'd spell the Maj7 as a Bb and the #11 as an F natural. If the tonality is established, though, as a BMaj, then I'd use the A# and and E#.

I always transcribe in terms of the tonality that we're in at that point. So if you're playing in the key of F and the next chord is a G7(#11), I'd use the C# for the #11.

If the music gets ahead of my ability to transcribe, I slow it down.

Regarding the multiple voices, I try to hear the intervals that are there and transcribe accordingly, using the scale of the tonality for the intervening notes.

I've seen transcriptions that were made by excellent transcriptionists, and there are always some errors, so I'd say that it's nearly impossible to transcribe an entire big band arrangement accurately.

Same with solo piano.

Last edited by jjtpiano; 05/21/09 07:45 PM.

Live Music Is Best
E
etcetra Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
jjtpiano,

I agree mostly with what you are saying.. i guess a lot of it depends on whether the harmony is functional or not too. If its non-functional then sometimes there is no way to tell.

Also, I remember some people would prefer B maj 7 for sight reading sake. One of my teacher, who is a well known arranger encouraged students not to use things like Cb or G double flat, because it makes it needlessly harder for musicians to sight read.

as far as multiple voices are concerned, if I listen to it long enough i can eventually hear all the notes.. the 'soprano' voice in the chord is hardest to hear because they don't move very much and they are usually 'filler' notes. I read that herbie hancock listened to the Hi-Los, and being able to hear their harmony was a big part of his musical development.

"by the time I actually heard the Hi-Lo's, I started picking that stuff out; my ear was happening. I could hear stuff and that's when I really learned some much farther-out voicings -like the harmonies I used on 'Speak Like a Child' -just being able to do that"

It makes me wonder what kind ears these people have... it seems like they are freaking monsters in every aspect of musicianship smile

J
J
I've heard that point about not writing Cb or E#, etc., so I started to look for it in some pro big band charts I sometimes get to play.

In those, they write the correct note, using Cb, E#, Fb and B# when it's called for. Double flats and double sharps, though, are avoided.

Hearing the notes is a skill you can develop. I've been working through a book called "Hearing and Writing Music," by Ron Gorow, available on Amazon.com. It's helped my listening skills more than any other thing I've done.

Live Music Is Best

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission