2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
31 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 9 invisible), 1,219 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1203004 05/20/09 07:49 PM
C
cardguy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Hey Gang,

Intermediate here, just learning this beautiful piece.I know there are some who find it tiresome, but I'm excited to find I'm able to make my way through. I was worried I wasn't up to it...not that I don't find it quite challenging.

Question: The 4th to last measure, it looks to be played not one octave higher like the measure before and measures following, but it seems to make more sense to do so, that is to play that measure an octave higher.

Would be very sincerely appreciated if someone could give me some guidance. I've an old tattered copy, and it's hard to read...

Many advance thanks,
CG

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Because of the little cadenza near the end of this nocturne in which the time signature is temporarily suspended (i.e., senza tempo), I'm not certain which measure you mean.

You could check your own score against one available online, like this one:

http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usimg/6/6a/IMSLP00470-Chopin_-_3_Nocturnes__Op_9.pdf

I don't love that edition, but at least the 8va markings are correct. (The passage you refer to should be on page 7.)

I'm glad you're enjoying learning it!

Steven

P
P
The Kalmus edition has just as you posted. the cadenza -like section measures 4 and 5 from the end 8va.

L
L
I don't have the answer to your question, but thought I'd comment anyway. wink I have just started working on this piece, having heard this version that captivated me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvxS_bJ0yOU

Not tiresome at all, to me!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by cardguy
[...]Question: The 4th to last measure, it looks to be played not one octave higher like the measure before and measures following, but it seems to make more sense to do so, that is to play that measure an octave higher.

Would be very sincerely appreciated if someone could give me some guidance. I've an old tattered copy, and it's hard to read...

Many advance thanks,
CG

In the fourth to last measure, the cadenza, all the notes are played an octave higher than written except the last two groups; F,D,Eb,C (written as small sixteenth-notes in my copies); Bb,Ab,C,D (written as small eighth-notes). These two groups are to be played as written.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by BruceD
[...]Question: The 4th to last measure, it looks to be played not one octave higher like the measure before and measures following, but it seems to make more sense to do so, that is to play that measure an octave higher.

Many advance thanks,
CG

In the fourth to last measure, the cadenza, all the notes are played an octave higher than written except the last two groups; F,D,Eb,C (written as small sixteenth-notes in my copies); Bb,Ab,C,D (written as small eighth-notes). These two groups are to be played as written.

Regards,

In my Schirmer edition (Mikuli) it has only the LAST 4 NOTES in the 3rd to the last measure played as written. All other notes in that measure, and in the right hand of the measure before, are 8va.
I have always played it this way and feel it makes sense.

Piano Teacher
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Barb860
Originally Posted by BruceD

Many advance thanks,
CG

Regards,

In my Schirmer edition (Mikuli) it has only the LAST 4 NOTES in the 3rd to the last measure played as written. All other notes in that measure, and in the right hand of the measure before, are 8va.
I have always played it this way and feel it makes sense.

The answer to the question depends on how a particular edition is written. Two editions I have have the second to last group written on ledger lines (F,D,Eb, C) above the stave, and they are not played an octave higher.

Two other editions I have (probably the same notation as Barb860's) have the second to last group written on the stave (F, D, Eb, C) so they have the 8va written over them. They both produce exactly the same results.

The point is that from the beginning of the third to last group the passage is a descending one.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
It seems that the fundamental issue here and my previous attempt to address it have been equally ignored.

The OP asked about the fourth measure from the end, and questions whether "it" (i.e., the entire measure) should be played 8va like the measure that precedes it and the measure that follows it.

Not knowing which edition the OP is using, I assumed some uncertainty about how many measures the cadenza represents. I thus assumed a potential for confusion in counting backwards from the end:

[Linked Image]

The second-to-last measure is the arpeggiated E-flat chord.

The third-to-last measure is the cadenza itself. (Klindworth's dotted lines that arbitrarily bisect it can be ignored; they aren't present in any other edition I've seen.)

The fourth-to-last measure is the one I've circled.

Steven

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for the photo--best way to address the issue for sure.

This discussion prompted me to compare editions of the Chopin Nocturne 9/2 that I have. All 3 have the cadenza notated the same way with the 8va. But all 3 have different suggested tempo markings at the beginning of the piece, differing markings such as "lento" at the beginning of the cadenza, and differing pedal markings as well.

Question: I have read that Chopin wrote out other cadenzas for this piece, other than the one Steve posted. Does anyone have these?

Piano Teacher
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Barb860
Question: I have read that Chopin wrote out other cadenzas for this piece, other than the one Steve posted. Does anyone have these?

Not just a differing cadenza, but other variants in ornamentation throughout as well. I don't know of a public domain source, but apparently it's published in the Vienna Urtext edition. (It was discussed last year in this thread, which also has a link to a YouTube performance of this version of the piece.)

Steven

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Henle gives the 8va from the ninth beat of measure 30; the seventh and eighth beats in the RH are written one octave higher rather than being marked 8va. The cadenza contained in m. 32 is given in sixteenth notes by Henle, and the last four notes are eighth notes. The last eight notes of the cadenza (F, D, Eb, C, Bb, Ab, C [8vb the last C] and D [ditto last D]) are without an 8va symbol. There are comments in the back regarding these passages and differing ornaments. Let me know If you want to know more.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
V
V
Wow I have always wanted to play this piece... I just never knew what it was called! I love it when things like this happen. Thanks for the link Larry.

C
cardguy Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
I want to thank everyone for your kindness and help. Very sincerely appreciated. I'm really enjoying the opportunity to interact with other pianists of varying degrees of experience and skill..

Many thanks again,
CG

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission