2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
61 members (danno858, AlkansBookcase, dbudde, eleos, David B, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,825 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 46 47
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
The 2009 Van Cliburn International Piano Competition

Please use this thread for all discussion related to the competition, as per our 2005 Megathread. This includes: reviews, predictions, discussion on the performers and their repertoire, pictures, complaints about parking, etc.

FAQ

When and where is this competition?
It takes place in Bass Hall in Fort Worth, TX from May 22nd - June 7th. We're all interested to hear "live" reports from any PW people who live in Texas or will be at the competition. For a complete schedule, click HERE.

Who are the performers and how many times will I have to sit through the Liszt Sonata?
Find a complete list of the contestants and their repertoire, click HERE. A few people from the last competition made the cut again this year, and it will be interesting to see how far they get.

...and that's potentially five performances of the Liszt Sonata you're looking at.

Where's the live stream? I want to make fun of people who have memory lapses!
You can watch it HERE. Download their application (make sure your system matches the specs at the bottom of the page) and you're good to go.

ALSO, you can listen (audio only) via KTCU's stream: http://www.ktcu.tcu.edu/

What's at stake, aside from internet stardom?
The winner receives three years of management (covering travel), a CD recording, and a $20k prize. Read all about the prizes HERE. While the Cliburn's first prize cash award isn't as high as some others (the Cleveland Competition awards a $50k first prize), the concert schedule it awards is more extensive.

These competitions are so arbitrary! My favorite competitor was eliminated after the first round!
Yes, they are, and many wonderful pianists didn't even make it past the screening round this time. However, sometimes people who DON'T win end up getting more exposure than those who do. Examples from previous editions of the Cliburn - Naida Cole and Frederic Chiu. Although Cole is now a doctor, she had a substantial career after being eliminated from the competition in 1997. Chiu, of course, is a legend. For this year's competition, read about the panel of judges HERE.

I want to read reviews and find out what kind of food and which movies each competitor likes!
Well, stop wasting time and click HERE before anyone else does!

That's about it. I'll start off the discussion with my own prediction for this year's results:

1st Prize - Stephen Beus
2nd Prize - Spencer Myer
3rd Prize - Ran Dank or Soyeon Lee

Other finalists: Di Wu, Evgeni Bozhanov, Haochen Zhang

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I wish I had near the ability to take part in the Van Cliburn Competition. The youngest competitors aren't far off my age and their repertoire is extraordinary!

Ravel - Une Barque Sur l'Ocean
Kapustin - Etude No. 7
Bach/Busoni - Chaconne
K
K
Actually, I count up to 7 (EDIT: 6 now that Yue Chu has withdrawn) potential performances of the Liszt Sonata (4 prelim, 2 semis, and 1 final round). The next most popular are Gaspard de la Nuit with 6, the Bach/Busoni Chaconne with 5, and a tie between the Barber Sonata, Chopin's 3rd Sonata, Haydn's C Major Hob. 50, Liszt's Spanish Rhapsody, Schubert's Sonata D. 958, and Stravinsky's Trois Mouvements de Petroushka at 4.

Only three competitors have the Rach 2 (Sonata) programmed, putting it at the same level as the Hammerklavier, Chopin's G Minor Ballade, and Takemitsu's Raintree Sketch I (!) among many others.

Other interesting statistics:

-Besides the commissioned works, I count 6 living composers whose work could potentially be heard: Pierre Boulez(Douze Notations), Elliot Carter(Catènaires), John Corigliano(Etude Fantasy), Nikolai Kapustin(Sonata #1), Aaron Jay Kernis (Superstar Etude #2), and Carl Vine (Sonata #1, twice).

-Di Wu's programming of a Clara Schumann Mazurka is the only selected work by a female composer in the whole competition.

-27 of the (now 29) competitors have at least one work which is unique to them and not performed by anyone else--Sorry Michail Lifitz and Ilya Rachkovskiy.

-Derek Bermel has a $2,500 bet riding on Victor Stanislavsky making the semis, as he's the only competitor to choose Bermel's 'turning'.

-Vassilis Varvaresos wins my 'gutsy' award with a selection opening with the Moonlight Sonata in the prelims and closing with Islamey in the finals.

Is there a way of attaching spreadsheets to posts here? I have a list of works by composer that I'd like to stick on here but am not sure how.

Last edited by kcostell; 05/19/09 09:33 PM.
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
i will be watching Evgeni Bozhanov, who won Richter competition last year (2nd prize with no 1st prize), my teacher told me about him then.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Final Round

Beethoven’s 1st – 1
Beethoven’s 2nd – 1
Beethoven’s 3rd – 6
Beethoven’s 4th – 6
Brahms’ 1st – 2
Chopin’s 1st – 2
Chopin’s 2nd – 6
Liszt’s 1st – 1
Mendelssohn’s 1st – 2
Mozart’s 20th – 4
Mozart’s 27th – 1
Prokofiev’s 1st – 2
Prokofiev’s 2nd – 5
Prokofiev’s 3rd – 3
Rachmaninoff’s 1st – 1
Rachmaninoff’s 2nd – 3
Rachmaninoff’s 3rd – 2
Rachmaninoff’s Rhapsody – 2
Ravel’s 1st – 1
Tchaikovsky’s 1st – 7

Is it sad that I'm surprised by only 2 performances of Rachmaninoff's D minor? The surprise concerto for me is Beethoven's 3rd.

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by kcostell

Is there a way of attaching spreadsheets to posts here? I have a list of works by composer that I'd like to stick on here but am not sure how.

http://docs.google.com

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Also interesting,

With regret, pianist Yue Chu has had to withdraw from the Thirteenth Van Cliburn International Piano Competition four days before Preliminary Round begins, due to a pinched nerve.

That's unfortunate.

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
What are the top 4-6 competitions in the world in terms of "importance"? Can they be ranked in order?

I'm guessing Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Van Cliburn, Queen Elizabeth in no particular order.

Online Content
I wonder what the percent of pianists that were Asian born or Asian descent was at the first Cliburn ccmpetition? It is 50% of the original list for this year's Cliburn.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/20/09 10:38 AM.
I'm continually impressed by Italy, a country the size of Arizona, who consistently sends 2-3 pianists to the Van Cliburn every time, and they often do very well (Cabassi, Plano, Pompa-Baldi).

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Online Content
While reading the participant bios I was astounded to find that one was blind since birth. I have never heard of a blind pianist reaching this level(I believe Tatum had some sight and wasn't blind since birth).

Are there Braille music books? Even if yes, it would seem almost beyond belief to be able to learn so much complicated music this way. And of course there's the problem of not being able to see the keys even in the most difficult passages.

Has anyone heard of any completely blind pianist who has reached the level of being able to be a Cliburn participant?

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/20/09 07:08 PM.
Originally Posted by Kreisler
I'm continually impressed by Italy, a country the size of Arizona, who consistently sends 2-3 pianists to the Van Cliburn every time, and they often do very well (Cabassi, Plano, Pompa-Baldi).

Well, it may be the size of Arizona, but it has the population of California and New York together. Impressive nonetheless, but not quite like Arizona sending a steady stream.

Last edited by Piano*Dad; 05/20/09 07:21 PM.
K
K
I've posted a spreadsheet with the repertoire list sorted by composer, along with links to (mostly IMSLP) sheet music for each piece in the public domain.

Thanks to Brendan for the Google Docs suggestion

J
J
Very little Mozart, comparatively little Chopin (only one ballade, no scherzos, and no Grande Polonaise), usually more perform the Brahms Paganini Variations...and some surprising popular choices such as the Beethoven Op. 106, Schumann Davidsbundlertanze (and one competitor playing the Schumann Sonata #3 which is almost never performed).

K
K
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
I wonder what the percent of pianists that were Asian born or Asian descent was at the first Cliburn ccmpetition? It is 50% of the original list for this year's Cliburn.

You can get a list of the competitors at each competition at the Cliburn site. I count 3 each from Japan and Korea (out of 46 total) at the first competition.

B
Brendan Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by kcostell
I've posted a spreadsheet with the repertoire list sorted by composer, along with links to (mostly IMSLP) sheet music for each piece in the public domain.

Neat spreadsheet, thanks for posting that.

Playing order posted:

http://cliburn.org/index.php?page=news_detail&newsID=96&rtn=newsroom

Drei Davidsbundlertanzen????? Cool!

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kreisler
Drei Davidsbundlertanzen????? Cool!

VERY COOL INDEED!!!!

Private Piano Teacher
MTNA/NJMTA/SJMTA
I've got my money on Beus smile

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
What are the top 4-6 competitions in the world in terms of "importance"? Can they be ranked in order?

I'm guessing Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Van Cliburn, Queen Elizabeth in no particular order.

Queen Elizabeth seems out of place there. What about Leeds or Hamamatsu?

Houston, Texas
Page 1 of 47 1 2 3 46 47

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission