2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (bcalvanese, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, 14 invisible), 2,113 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
I don't think this has been brought up, but why don't we have a Piano world composer's competition? For our first one, we'll start with an easy assignment, to transcribe part of the first movement of Schumann Symphony no. 4. I've heard that he wasn't a great orchestrator. Of course he was good but not as good compared to the other Romantic greats. So see if you can out orchestrate Schumann. We'll start with Symphony 4, that's my favorite. Just the first movement. Currently it is scored for 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets, 2 bassoons, 4 horns, 2 trumpets, 3 trombones, timpani, and strings. Just for fun, let's transcribe it for a wind band consisting of 4 flutes, 1 oboe, 4 clarinets, 3 alto sax, tenor, and bari sax, 2 horn, 4 trumpets, 1 trombone, tuba, and what ever other percussion you desire ex. snare bass drum, tam tam, xylophone, bells, etc. Here is the score.
http://imslp.info/files/imglnks/usim..._d__fs_BH_.pdf

Again, we're just doing the half the first movement, if you can;t do that, just part of the first movement, let's say up to rehearsal D. I'm not looking for the entire symphony, just your orchestration skills. I also need a few judges. I'll just pick the first people that volunteer. Oh, and of course, let's set the deadline at one month from now, May 23. there will be 1st place and second place, and if there are more contestants, a third and fourth place. Have fun!

If this seems like a really lame idea, and no one responds in the next three days, I won't take it personally. I'll just delete it.

“Music . . . can name the unnameable and communicate the unknowable.”
- Leonard Bernstein

-Middle School music teacher
-Private Piano Teacher
-Amateur composer (hobby)
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Isn't that more of an orchestration competition? Anyway I know nothing about orchestration so I think I will pass on this.

[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
The problem is that orchestration is beyond many people's scope. I know it is beyond mine at this point in time (I hope to remedy that!). I suggest modifying so that those of us who thrive on composing for solo instruments can participate.

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
T
Tar Offline
T
Since we're all pianists here would it make more sense to make it a piano composition competition (and maybe chamber variants)? I think something simple like an assigned theme and a length limit (definitely upper limit, but maybe lower limit, too?) but in any style? I think it will encourage us to play our own compositions, too smile

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit
OP Offline
Yes, I'm sorry. So why don't we change this to a contest to create a piano reduction of the first movement. Because it is so long, you are free to cut out parts, as long as it flows when played in your arrangement. So the new contest rules, a piano reduction and arrangement of the first movement of Schumann's fourth Symphony. If anyone is interested in participating and/or judging, just write a quick reply or send a private message to me. I will create a list of all the contestants and judges.

Last edited by steinwaymaster; 04/25/09 08:32 AM.

- Leonard Bernstein

-Private Piano Teacher
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
A piano reduction is an arrangement not a composition. Arrangement and orchestration are valuable skills, but they require more extensive knowledge than composing for a solo instrument with which one is already familiar. I have written for orchestra and have tried my hand at piano reduction, but these were my own pieces. It's a lot of work and not work I'm interested in doing on Schumann's music (maybe William Schumann, but not Robert). I like Tar's idea of coming up with a theme and having the folks here have at it.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tar
Since we're all pianists here would it make more sense to make it a piano composition competition (and maybe chamber variants)? I think something simple like an assigned theme and a length limit (definitely upper limit, but maybe lower limit, too?) but in any style? I think it will encourage us to play our own compositions, too smile

I like that idea. Unfortunately, I don't have time to participate right now, but it would make things a lot easier and more clear cut. smile

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
T
Tar Offline
T
Originally Posted by Horowitzian
I like that idea. Unfortunately, I don't have time to participate right now, but it would make things a lot easier and more clear cut. smile

Nor do I to be quite honest frown My thesis is taking over my life! I don't know how many people hanging in the Composer's Lounge are students but, personally, I'm more likely to participate in June.

Tar Viturawong
OP Offline
Ok guys. It's fine. Maybe, we'll start one sometimes else on a different subject.

- Leonard Bernstein

-Private Piano Teacher
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
We actually had a similar project about a year or two ago and it worked out well.

My guess is if we wait until school's out and make it a summer project we'll get decent participation.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
T
Tar Offline
T
Originally Posted by Kreisler
We actually had a similar project about a year or two ago and it worked out well.

That sounds promising smile Did you get much participation back then? Was there an external "adjudicator"? (Although a Piano World clapometer might be quite fun if we make we make sure people who don't usually check the Lounge are aware that this is happening grin )

Tar Viturawong
P
P
Originally Posted by steinwaymaster
If this seems like a really lame idea, and no one responds in the next three days, I won't take it personally. I'll just delete it.

Rather than doing something with orchestration or a piano reduction of an existing work, let's stick to the name of the web site. Let's compose something original to be played on one or more pianos.

I don't have a clue as to either the level of proficiency or the level of experience of composing members of this forum so it is difficult to know what to suggest in regards to setting parameters. If there are no limits, compositions could range from a piano accompaniment of a nursery rhyme for a child to a four movement piano concerto with orchestral accompaniment. That would certainly allow the creative juices to flow, but would be a bitch to judge. Perhaps the scope should be limited to a specific type of composition such as:
  • An étude
  • A two part invention
  • A three or four voice fugue
  • A short dance such as a gigue, minuet, bourée, etc.
  • An aire
  • A rhapsody
  • Etc.
Has any thought been given to how the competition will be judged? Will it be by a panel of non participating judges based on the written score? Will it be by a vote of the members of the forum based on a live performance by the composer? Will it be by a vote of the members of the forum based on an audio track? Etc.?

Because of the nature of this particular forum, I would suggest that the format be limited to one specific type of composition at least X minutes long and not longer than X + Y minutes. A reasonable format for the entries should be both a PDF file of the score and an audio recording either computer generated or from a live performance recording. I would also suggest that the winners be determined by a vote of the members of the Piano World Forum. Obviously any composition that has been published or has previously won an award should be excluded.

Comments?

Suggestions?

Retching disapproval?

Last edited by photowriters; 05/19/09 11:21 PM.

Regards,

Bob
A
A
I like the idea of a relatively short piece.
No longer than 5 minutes and probably less.

Maybe we can have a fugue or invention competition at some time but I think participation might be more vigourous if we allow more freedom.
So I think we should leave form quite open so that entrant can proceed any way he/she wants (variation, rondo, fugue, free fantasia etc).
Though a variation competition would still leave quite a bit of freedom as to how each variation is written.

The other question is whether there should be some seed material and if so, what form it should take?
Also, and how should the entrant incorporate it?
Would they have to quote it verbatim at some point or could they only use fragments as long as everything is there?
Maybe there should be no musical seed material but just a setting (literary, visual) that needs appropriate accompanying music?

I'm not sure of the answers to the questions in the last paragraph just throwing out more ideas.
'Compose something' seems too broad as things would be more interesting if the entries were all related in some way but we want it open enough so that people can still oeprate in their comfort zones and want to participate.

M
M
I think this is a great idea. If we're going to have people compose small works, it's probably best not to give the whole summer. Rather, maybe every two weeks we could have a new competition, each with a different set of constraints. It would also be nice if in addition to just a vote, the voters would give specific feedback. Perhaps a vote would not count unless accompanied by feedback. I think the primary objective here is to learn about composition, not to pick a winner.

P
P
Originally Posted by Allazart
The other question is whether there should be some seed material and if so, what form it should take? Also, and how should the entrant incorporate it? Would they have to quote it verbatim at some point or could they only use fragments as long as everything is there? Maybe there should be no musical seed material but just a setting (literary, visual) that needs appropriate accompanying music?

I'm not sure of the answers to the questions in the last paragraph just throwing out more ideas. 'Compose something' seems too broad as things would be more interesting if the entries were all related in some way but we want it open enough so that people can still oeprate in their comfort zones and want to participate.

My druthers would be for the composer to come up with his/her own motivic ideas rather than start with someone else's theme and composing something to that.

If the plan is to have a contest every two weeks, then perhaps it could be rotated, one two week period compose something to a given motive and the next two week period compose something without a given motive, etc.

Regards,

Bob
P
P
Originally Posted by mkorman
I think the primary objective here is to learn about composition, not to pick a winner.

Hmmm . . .

Rather than "learning about composition," how about s stated purpose of "becoming better composers" or "sharpening composition skills."

Regards,

Bob
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
If it's for piano solo and writing an original work, count me in. I'm a lousy composing beginner but this would be a fun way to motivate myself and to see what other folks will come up with. smile

P
P
How about just a composers competition, not involving Schumann or other composers, just new pieces.

PianoShel

T
Tar Offline
T
Originally Posted by photowriters
Originally Posted by Allazart
The other question is whether there should be some seed material and if so, what form it should take? Also, and how should the entrant incorporate it? Would they have to quote it verbatim at some point or could they only use fragments as long as everything is there? Maybe there should be no musical seed material but just a setting (literary, visual) that needs appropriate accompanying music?

I'm not sure of the answers to the questions in the last paragraph just throwing out more ideas. 'Compose something' seems too broad as things would be more interesting if the entries were all related in some way but we want it open enough so that people can still oeprate in their comfort zones and want to participate.

My druthers would be for the composer to come up with his/her own motivic ideas rather than start with someone else's theme and composing something to that.

If the plan is to have a contest every two weeks, then perhaps it could be rotated, one two week period compose something to a given motive and the next two week period compose something without a given motive, etc.

Musical themes may be restrictive, I agree. I don't see the harm of having a visual/literary theme though. Quite the opposite, I think having a non-musical theme might actually encourage composers to do their best without being musically/stylistically handicapped. Maybe a selection of themes could be given and that composers choose any two?

Tar Viturawong
I like that idea - an extramusical reference. Who wants to throw some out?

It's memorial day, so how about the poetry of Randall Jarrell?

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission