2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (bwv543, Cominut, Colin Miles, Andre Fadel, BWV846, Animisha, alexcomoda, Calavera, 10 invisible), 1,218 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 115 of 452 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 451 452
D
D
Hi Romolo - congrats on Little Brown Jug!!! How long did it take you?

R
R
Thanks dee180...I'd say about 4 days

Practice makes perfect...blah blah blah - Romolo
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow, Romolo, that was quick! I'm still stumbling through it, although it IS getting better. I don't mind the occasional missed note, but there are still way too many pauses. Still, it's coming along WAY easier than "Good People". :-)

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
R
R
I can play of those pieces but at a okay pace...still working on both of them, trying to increase the tempo...especially LBJ.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Wow, I'm really happy for the people who got "Little Brown Jug" down. I'm still on "Money Can't Buy Everything" so I'm still a long way off from you guys, but I'm already looking forward to LBJ! I started a couple of weeks ago and I'm glad I decided to get a teacher instead of striking out on my own. First, she was the one who introduced me to Alfred which I think is a great method book and her advice on playing are things that I would never have figured out on my own! So for those who are self-studying, I recommend getting a teacher or at least a good pianist friend to critique your playing. You'll be surprised at the little things you never noticed were wrong!

Working on: Schumann Album for the Young, Clementi Op 36 No. 1 (all movements), Various Bach, Czerny 599
+ CASIO PX-720 and PX-730 +
D
D
Wow Romolo that was fast!!!!! How many hours do you practice a day? I do a half hour a day, more on the weekends.
I'm finally getting LBJ - lots of pauses though. It's the notes that I can't read that slow me down. I have to write the notes on the book otherwise I forget them. Ah....a true OLDER beginner.

B
B
Working on On Top Of Old Smoky.
Nice these first broken chords: these arpeggios are simple, but effective.
In a couple of hours I hope to play OTOOS a little faster at a OK pace.

R
R
I'll practice about 20-30 minutes a day...but sometimes twice a day. My girlfriend, who's been play for years, tells me it's better to practice for about 20-30 minutes at a time. As long as you're practicing the right way. She says to go as slow as you have to make sure you're hitting the right notes. Then it'll just stick in your brain and you'll be able to play at a faster pace. Even if it's really slow where you can't even identify the song you're playing, it's ok as long as your hands and brain are introduced to it correctly, it'll stick. So I usually practice for about 20-30 minutes a day, but usually twice a day, sometimes 3 times a day if I have time. More on the weekends too. Perfect practice makes perfect she says. smile

R
R
I just started with "Chiapanecas"...it's not so bad...fairly easy compared to "Little Brown Jug" but fun to play. I woke up this morning and tried to play both "Good People" and "Little Brown Jug" at an increased pace and I did it. It really seems like the time between my practice sessions are a big help. Cuz yesterday I couldn't play either pieces at a fast pace, but then this morning, I could, on the first try. It's weird...lol

D
D
That's good advice, Romolo. When I start a new piece, I'm painfully slow - you wouldn't even know what I'm playing. Then I get the notes down and then I speed it up.
LBJ is getting better and better. Still hate it though smile

M
M
I'm working on O Sole Mio now. It looks a little easier than LBJ and Chiapanecas. I still have trouble with measure 5 on LBJ. For some reason I often substitute measure 9 for measure 5. It is good to have someone else hear your playing occasionally. They can point out trouble spots or help polish other areas.

R
R
Measure 5 of LBJ also gave me trouble...so I practiced that separately for a bit...very slowly...over and over again.
MarkInBayArea...I did the exact same thing with substituting measure 9 for 5. I still do it sometimes. I was wondering if others did the same. smile

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member

Gold member until Dec. 2012
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by romolo
Measure 5 of LBJ also gave me trouble...so I practiced that separately for a bit...very slowly...over and over again.
MarkInBayArea...I did the exact same thing with substituting measure 9 for 5. I still do it sometimes. I was wondering if others did the same. smile

Yep, me to... drives me crazy! Maybe someone who knows why will chime in.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I do it too, because the rest of both lines are the same, and my hands just go on autopilot.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
D
D
Yup, me too

B
B
I have just started the Alfred's Sacred Book 1.
The first pieces are very easy, but the music and the words are so inspiring that I do love them.
I think I am going to have a great time with this little precious book!

R
R
I miss the being at the beginning of the book when it only took a 15 mins to get through a piece and move on to the next page. frown

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by romolo
I miss the being at the beginning of the book when it only took a 15 mins to get through a piece and move on to the next page. frown

That's for sure! The last two took me/are taking me forever. I think the last several pieces in the book are going to take me longer than everything that I've done so far.

I played "Good People" and "Little Brown Jug" for a friend yesterday. She's the only person I would play them for. We bought our first keyboards together, and she is struggling with hands together and says she is giving up and going to just play RH melody and LH chords. So she knows where I'm coming from and didn't laugh at my playing.

mom3gram

[Linked Image]
R
R
Aw...she can't give up now.:(

D
D
I am done done done with LBJ woooohoooo!!!!!! smile Teacher says I have the right melody and the correct finger positions, now to just speed it up. But, I'm on to the next one - the Mexican hand clapping (forgot the name). I discovered that I really love the broken chords. That's why I didn't mind practicing On Top of Old Smokey.
Anybody else like the broken chords?
And I agree with Romolo - back in the day - when I could play a "song" in 10 minutes smile Of course, it's really nice to look back and see how far I've come.
Gram - tell your friend not to give up!

Page 115 of 452 1 2 113 114 115 116 117 451 452

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission