2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
So I just had a random thought today while I was playing a piano part with a band at my church....what do you think the great like Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, and all the other great composers would do with a modern day chord chart to play along with a band or something?
Like today, I was playing a song where the chords were C#m, B, A, E and it repeated that with some variations throughout. I took that and did a lot of long arpeggios with added non chord tones [LOTS of suspensions, passing tones, appoggiaturas and the like], cross rhythms, and stuff since the song was piano driven and it sounded great. If I were just playing along I'd probably have just done a second inversion chord in my right hand and done bass octaves in the left to the beat...but the question is...what do you think some of the great pianists in the past, the composers we play now, would do with chord charts like we have today? Kind of a random question, but I think it could be a fun topic.

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Most competent musicians (and not just the "great" ones) of the common practice period knew how to realize figured bass (from which modern chord charts derive). It's no big deal if you know how to realize things stylistically and tastefully.

I once realized figured bass on the harpsichord and organ in a performance of some selections from Handel's Messiah. Great fun.

Of course many common practice composers such as Bach, Mozart and Beethoven were also incredible solo improvisers. Once they've assimilated the harmonic progression and melody of, say, a famous folk song or an opera aria, they would improvise a set of variations with no troubles.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by xxmynameisjohnxx
So I just had a random thought today while I was playing a piano part with a band at my church....what do you think the great like Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt, and all the other great composers would do with a modern day chord chart to play along with a band or something?
Like today, I was playing a song where the chords were C#m, B, A, E and it repeated that with some variations throughout. I took that and did a lot of long arpeggios with added non chord tones [LOTS of suspensions, passing tones, appoggiaturas and the like], cross rhythms, and stuff since the song was piano driven and it sounded great. If I were just playing along I'd probably have just done a second inversion chord in my right hand and done bass octaves in the left to the beat...but the question is...what do you think some of the great pianists in the past, the composers we play now, would do with chord charts like we have today? Kind of a random question, but I think it could be a fun topic.

They weren't modern jazz musicians, that's for sure. They would have done exactly what you did. Scales, Arpeggios, scales and arpeggios in octaves, etc., etc., ad nauseum as do most classical pianists do when faced with having to improvise on a chord progression.

Here's one of the world's best improvisors, working on a circle of fifths progression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLCGWh-VZhI

F min - Bb min - Eb - Ab - Dd - G - C
etc.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Mozart was said to have accompanied a singer in an aria that he had never heard before without any music at all.

Semipro Tech
Originally Posted by BJones

They weren't modern jazz musicians, that's for sure. They would have done exactly what you did. Scales, Arpeggios, scales and arpeggios in octaves, etc., etc., ad nauseum as do most classical pianists do when faced with having to improvise on a chord progression.

Here's one of the world's best improvisors, working on a circle of fifths progression:

etc.

Although I like some of Jarrett's playing like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq0EWNuR1H8

comparing him as an improvisor to Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt etc. is quite pathetic. It's like comparing some tiny bug to a mountain.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/17/09 06:48 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus

etc.

comparing him as an improvisor to Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Liszt etc. is quite pathetic. It's like comparing some tiny bug to a mountain.

That's only because you truly don't understand jazz or improvisation. If major and minor scales in one tonal center float your boat, the ones you mentioned are your cup of tea.
If you appreciate something of a little more substance, which of course, you must understand first to appreciate, Jarret, et. al. will be as totally lost on you as if you were to improvise scales and arpeggios in one key.

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by BDB
Mozart was said to have accompanied a singer in an aria that he had never heard before without any music at all.

At first glance, that seems amazing. But really, in his day, the structure of most music was so predictable that it may not have been so amazing after all, for a skilled and sensitive musician.

Many pop musicians, especially the studio ones used to working in many styles with many solo artists, can improvise stuff from scratch for the same reason. All they need is the key, and some idea of the basic style and away they go.

etc.

That's only because you truly don't understand jazz or improvisation. If major and minor scales in one tonal center float your boat, the ones you mentioned are your cup of tea.
If you appreciate something of a little more substance, which of course, you must understand first to appreciate, Jarret, et. al. will be as totally lost on you as if you were to improvise scales and arpeggios in one key.

You statement assumes jazz is of a "little more substance" and the greatest composers and improvisors of their day were limited to major and minor scales.

You can spend the entire day posting here for the rest of your life(and you seem well on your way to do that)but you're wasting your time trying to convince people on a classical music forum. But if you want to continue beating your head against the wall, be my guest. I don't think you've convinced one person here.

I won't be bothering to read your "reply".

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H

etc.

You statement assumes jazz is of a "little more substance" and the greatest composers and improvisors of their day were limited to major and minor scales.

You can spend the entire day posting here for the rest of your life(and you seem well on your way to do that)but you're wasting your time trying to convince people on a classical music forum. But if you want to continue beating your head against the wall, be my guest. I don't think you've convinced one person here.

Sadly since the classical greats lived before sound recording existed, we will never have a definitive answer to this debate.

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
[But if you want to continue beating your head against the wall, be my guest.

I'm not beating anything on the wall or anywhere else for that matter, but it's good that I have your permission to post. To dismiss Jarrett's improvising as trivial demonstrates a total lack of understanding of what he's playing, which is sad. frown

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hrodulf

etc.

Sadly since the classical greats lived before sound recording existed, we will never have a definitive answer to this debate.

Do we need sound recordings? We have millions of sheets of music as evidence of what tey played and how simply they thought 150 to 200 years ago.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
...how simply they thought 150 to 200 years ago.

Relatively simple of course! wink

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by wr
[quote=BDB] But really, in his day, the structure of most music was so predictable

Extremely predictible. You can sing along, melodies, counterlines, chord progression/bass lines with most Mozart even if you've never heard it and be right 95% of the time!

Something like this is infintely more advanced and more unpredictible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEnTEY-XQXw

Then again, it should be far more mature. It's 170 years of musical advancement, yet still romantically tonal (not yet like the works of Xenakis, et. al.). We don't drive horses and buggies anymore either. Nost classical pianists seem comfortably stuck in the 1770s and think that's as far as music advanced.

Last edited by BJones; 05/17/09 10:22 PM.
B
BDB Offline
B
And yet, at least 90% of what jazz artists play uses pretty much the same musical language that Mozart did. That is why they can improvise together even when they have never played with each other before.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
And yet, at least 90% of what jazz artists play uses pretty much the same musical language that Mozart did. That is why they can improvise together even when they have never played with each other before.

Not the 90% that I listen too and play with!

A
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A
To dismiss Jarrett's improvising as trivial demonstrates a total lack of understanding of what he's playing, which is sad. frown

You have a point. There are other non-classical (though Jarrett did play the Stravinsky concerto) pianists I prefer, but since this is a 'family' forum, is it okay to be a bit honest? Hopefully I won't be modded.

Back at uni, I met this really cool bloke. We smoked quite a bit (bongs are best for this) and all of a sudden he said: you really need to hear some Jarrett. Well, we listened and I was transfixed with what I heard... a few drinks just added to the atmosphere.

Thanks to the 'alterations' Jarrett's improv just slowed my sense of time down, everything he was doing made so much sense. It was incredible. Having seen many Wagner operas in altered states, I would have to admit that Jarrett almost rivals Wagner in his utter control of long spans of time.

Methinks the blood rushes too fast for us these days. Instant gratification is what it is about, and it is a shame what we miss. The Bach B minor Mass, Wagner's Parsifal, the Bruckner symphonies, and yes, Keith Jarrett.

Jason
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by argerichfan
To dismiss Jarrett's improvising as trivial demonstrates a total lack of understanding of what he's playing, which is sad. frown

You have a point. There are other non-classical (though Jarrett did play the Stravinsky concerto) pianists I prefer, but since this is a 'family' forum, is it okay to be a bit honest? Hopefully I won't be modded.

Back at uni, I met this really cool bloke. We smoked quite a bit (bongs are best for this) and all of a sudden he said: you really need to hear some Jarrett. Well, we listened and I was transfixed with what I heard... a few drinks just added to the atmosphere.

Thanks to the 'alterations' Jarrett's improv just slowed my sense of time down, everything he was doing made so much sense. It was incredible. Having seen many Wagner operas in altered states, I would have to admit that Jarrett almost rivals Wagner in his utter control of long spans of time.

Methinks the blood rushes too fast for us these days. Instant gratification is what it is about, and it is a shame what we miss. The Bach B minor Mass, Wagner's Parsifal, the Bruckner symphonies, and yes, Keith Jarrett.

Speaking of control and unfolding, have you heard this one by Jarett?:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzqMJWlKMsY

B
BDB Offline
B
Originally Posted by BDB

All that says is that you are too young to differentiate style from substance.

Semipro Tech
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BDB
Originally Posted by BDB

All that says is that you are too young to differentiate style from substance.

Actually, all that says is that you don't listen to post 1940s jazz and your historical and harmonic knowledge is very limited when it comes to jazz piano.
Should I write out some of the hundreds of Tristano, V1, Jarrett, Solal, Peterson, and Tatum solos I play so we can examine and analyze them for un-like Mozart substance? Or would you rather continue to pontificate in the dark, as I suspect?

Last edited by BJones; 05/18/09 12:25 AM.
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
I have to say, BJones is definitely right in this aspect. Jazz has evolved a lot since the 40's, and now the progressions and music theory used is far past what Mozart was using. No more just using I-IV-V blues progressions in the top notch jazz, it's a lot more. I played some jazz song from a play the other day to accompany a friend and the chords were very interesting, a number of them had no roman numeral function to them in any way and were used just for the sound [WAGNER]. Not to say that Mozart's theory was bad in any way, he just had limited musical theory compared to what we have now.
Oh and to Janus who posted the thing about figured bass, I know what that is and have realized a fair bit, but I was just wondering if they might do something with more substance to it, all the figure bass I've done/seen has just been for 4 voice stuff following very strict voice leading rules. I didn't know if any of them would do something more...interesting.

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission