2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, 14 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Kubla Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I purchased a Yamaha YPG-635 digital piano recently. As I learned during my pre-purchase research, the speakers are not very powerful. I've been trying to go through the manual a little at a time; it will take a while to become familiar with the features, but it will be fun. I already have an acoustic piano and wanted something that would offer more voices and accompaniment options while learning to play.

Although I use headphones often while practicing (trying to spare the neighbors from torture!) I was wondering-are there amplifiers available for this model? If so, can anyone offer suggestions on an amp that would not cost a small fortune? I will only be using it at home and do not need a lot more power. Whereabouts would it plug in to the piano?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Normally you'd use the Aux Out jacks. But this keyboard doesn't have them. So you'll need to connect to the headphone jack.

Amplifiers are easy. I'd focus first on the speakers

Do a search for the topic "HOW ARE PPL MONITORING THEIR DIGITAL PIANO RIGS" for more information. Also, search other topics ... anything making reference to speakers and/or amplifiers.

K
Kubla Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Wow, those are fairly sophisticated set-ups and not quite what I had in mind. I've only been playing a short time and definitely won't playing for audiences.

I was just hoping to get a bit more volume out of the piano while I'm practicing. (Never thought I'd hear myself saying that!) Would a computer speaker work for that purpose?

Yamaha U3
Kawai ES7
H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Typical small computer speakers might not be much better than what your DP already has, but there are "better" grade computer speakers that might be acceptable to you.

How much are you will to spend?

K
Kubla Offline OP
OP Offline
K
We have some decent computer speakers that are not being used. I'm willing to spend $100-$150 at the moment if need be. I know that's not much, but the purchase of the DP set me back a bit and my goal is just to be able to play a little louder than it currently allows. (No window shattering, in other words.)

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
It's hard to build a bad amplifier these days, so just about anything will do. So focus on the speakers.

I bought some nice used speakers on Craig's List a few months ago. Full size, 35" tall, 10" woofers ... for only $100. I think this was an exceptionally lucky find, but there are still plenty of good buys available. Craig's List is purely local, so I cannot know whether your local Craig's will have listing similar to mine (So. Florida). But check it out. (Ebay works too, but expect $30-$50 or more in shipping ... that really eats into the budget. That's why I like Craig's. All local. Just drive and buy.)

I use my daughter's all-in-one stereo as an amplifier. It was $125 new about 6 or 8 years ago. 100 watts, plenty of power for my needs. You might find a good used unit. Be sure to check the model specs (lots of obscure info is available online).

A unit with only 10 or 20 watts might not be adequate, depending on the speakers. But I'm wondering if they even make such low power units anymore? If my daughter's cheapo unit can pump 100 watts, I'm guessing there are plenty of suitable units on the market. (When I was young, in this price range you'd get no more than 10 watts! Things are better and cheaper today.)

B
B
Kubla,
About a month ago, I purchased from Cambridge Soundworks (online) their "MicroWorks II Amplified Multimedia/Computer System" for all of $127. 80 watts, 40 to the woofer, 20 to each satellite. Haven't listened to my "big" system since--my public radio streaming audio on the computer, and my keyboard/DP also sounds great thru this system. Key to good results with these "2.1" systems is control over the bass unit, as the headphone jack on your key is probably biased toward bass. The way I have the bass set for radio has to be turned way back on the Microworks when using the DP. Until I "upgraded" to the MicroWorks II, I was using a smaller system from Cambridge.....which I found at Goodwill for $10 three years ago. It also worked quite well with the Keyboard.
You don't have to make this too hard. Good luck!

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333
K
Kubla Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Bob M and Horwinkle: Thank you for taking the time to share your set ups. We actually have a set of mini speakers from Cambridge Soundworks in the living room and they are nice. More (in quantity) than what I need for the DP, but maybe that would be a starting point. I guess I assumed it was an amp that I needed, when a speaker would probably do the trick.

If I give John an online 'research project', he'll be happy to take the ball and run with it. He's a techie and will know what he's looking at with regard to component ratios, etc.

Bob, you are right. I'm trying not to make this too hard, as my goal is a modest one: clear piano sound, just a little louder. Space is an issue-I am avoiding anything huge.

Yamaha U3
Kawai ES7
B
B
Kubla,
Just remember, the headphone jack will not drive a speaker(s). That is why these amplified, 2.1 multimedia systems are so attractive--they will power any audio device with a headphone jack. You may need a 6' male/male adapter cord from radio shack to try the cambridge system with your keyboard.
Enjoy

Bob M

Charles Walter Model 1520
Yamaha NP 30, NP 11, PSR E333

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission