2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, 12 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline

Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Recital 14!!!

Please utilize this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital 14 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread.

Discussions and replies can be posted at-will. Feel free to comment on any or all individual pieces. Some members offer comments on each submission individually; others offer general congratulations. Either approach is fine. Feel free to offer more specific, technical feedback if the participant had indicated that technical feedback was welcome.

For those who wish to comment on all pieces, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital 14 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I just listen to all the pieces and... no I'm just kidding. Congratulation to all participants and a big thanks to Monica and Mahlzeit.

Serge

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Schubert Impromptu Op 90 No 4 played by Babama - a very impressive performance. The right hand is very clear and even. Excellent pedaling too. Very good tempo, dynamics, and phrasing. I am listing to your piece again. smile Thank you for sharing.

Yaaayy! I big chunk of piano music! Just what I need! I'm downloading it all! Thanks to everyone who's hard work made this happen!

Last edited by pianonewb; 05/14/09 11:40 PM.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
H
H
A big thanks to everyone who made this recital possible. And congrats to everyone who participated. Can't wait to listen to all of them. *goes to download them*

Last edited by Honnli; 05/15/09 12:06 AM.

Steven - videogame and anime pianist...
[Linked Image]

OP Offline

Um... I just realized that, in my rush to swap out a better recording at the very last minute, I messed up my mp3 file. I managed to fix everything except the streaming player, so if you're listening to the recital on it (rather than downloading the zip files or clicking on the direct link), my piece cuts off abruptly at 1:30 minutes. I'd hate to deprive *anybody* here of all the Einaudi they deserve (especially John Frank), so if you're listening to the streaming player, when you get to my piece you may want to click on the direct link (which I fixed to send you to the full mp3 recording).

[slinks away very embarrassed]

OP Offline

01—AnthonyB: This is one of Einaudi’s most unusual and minimalistic pieces. To make it sound good it needs to be played delicately with a precise rhythm, and you do that perfectly. What the others can’t tell from your recording is that you pull this off DESPITE your nephew playing noisily with trains just a few feet away. smile
02 – Jazzyprof: I wasn’t familiar with this piece, but I like it. You give it a nice lilting poignancy, and I sure didn’t hear any of the bloopers you say are in there.
03 – epf: I wasn’t familiar with this piece, either, but it’s quite a bit jauntier than the Brahms, and you convey very well the feeling of blessed spirits dancing.
04 – rustyfingers: That was indeed short, but very sweet! Like you, I’ve gained a real appreciation for Grieg through listening to the recitals.
05 – CarlMc: Great job with improvising an old standard, Carl. I could listen to this for hours while sipping a mint julep or three on a porch swing on a warm summer evening.
06 – tekkie: I remember being impressed by O’Halloran’s music when somebody played it in the last recital, and I swore that I would get the sheet music and learn it myself. But I never got around to it, although after hearing this beautiful piece I will once again renew my vow to learn some of his work.
07 – riddler: I do enjoy these jazzy ensemble pieces you put together, riddler. This one is worth a mint julep or two of its own. smile
08 – dannylux: I can always count on you to contribute a beautiful if somewhat obscure piece, and this one sounds as challenging as the others with all the trills involved. I really liked the part about halfway through where you’re playing all those delicate high notes.
09 – Ode2Joy: I’m not a big fan of Bach myself, but I remain, as always, very impressed by those of you who can PLAY Bach, because all those voices going on at a nonstop pace is very intimidating to me.
10 – Ken: Those two pieces go very well together; I wouldn’t have known they were a medley if you hadn’t told me. Well done!
11 – Ejay: You play beautifully for having only 3 months experience! I particularly liked the “Fairies Harp”; you have the arpeggios sounding very harp-like indeed.
12 – Homeinmyshoes: I’m not familiar with this Satie piece, although I am well aware of his penchant for omitting measure lines from the Gnossiennes. You play this with a nice, contemplative air.
13 – SamSmith: Your “old fingers” sound pretty darned fast to me!! Once again I’m in awe of the folks who can play Bach well.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
01—AnthonyB: This is one of Einaudi’s most unusual and minimalistic pieces. To make it sound good it needs to be played delicately with a precise rhythm, and you do that perfectly. What the others can’t tell from your recording is that you pull this off DESPITE your nephew playing noisily with trains just a few feet away. smile

Well, the noise issue was on the version on youtube. The other take was recorded without the nephew around so it wasn't so noisy. That one was just hastily recorded to fix a few missing notes that I had just discovered (with only a few minutes left before the recital opened for submissions. Of course, I discovered I wasn't playing the ending properly after I submitted but I liked my #1 too much to worry about it.

I'm going to try and work out some comments this time around. We'll see how it goes. smile

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
This is my first attempt at writing out some comments for all the pieces. We'll see how far I can make it. smile
01. AnthonyB - Una Mattina:
I may be slightly biased, but I quite liked it!
laugh

02. jazzyprof - Intermezzo op.118 #2: It was quite a race with my submission for the #1 spot. No sooner than I got around to clicking the link to return to the home page after submitting, this was already at #2.
I'm not terribly familiar with classical piano pieces but it sounded great to me. Quite a long piece yet it could have kept going and I wouldn't have cared.

03. epf - Andante from Orpheo ed Euridice: Great but alas, my spirit isn't keen on dancing. It certainly isn't for your lack of skill at playing, however.

04. rustyfingers - Arietta (8 Lyric Pieces, Op. 12, No. 1): The piece may be short but it turned out very sweet. Proof that bigger isn't always better.

05. Carl Mc – Summertime.reflection: Nicely played. I'm a fan of slow and thoughtful stuff.

06. tekkie - Opus #9: I actually have two of his sheet music books but I've only learned one short piece from them so far (Opus 36). I can't say Opus 9 is my favorite but it's much better than I could do if I tried! smile

07. Riddler (Ed) – Tenderly: I actually don't mind songs with accompaniment as it can be a nice breath of fresh air when listening to all the pieces. Sounded pretty tender to me.

08. dannylux / Mel - Nazareth: Confidences: That's a nice piece. Thanks for description of the piece. I had a great time reading that then listening and anticipating all the different sections.

(I've listened through the first zip file and will continue on tomorrow.)

Roland FP-7 / Pianoteq 4.5.1
[Linked Image]
C
C
I always like to get feedback myself and I've been bad about making comments for the last few recitals, so here goes my attempt at good ABF citizenship...

62. Yamaha G3 & P-80 Mike White - Reverie
I started listening here with Debussy. Reverie is one of my favorite pieces. I look forward to being able to play this some day. It's very moving. You did a good job.

63. b528nf7 (Bill) - Now Is The Hour
Especially when I'm set up to expect an instrumental solo, vocals seem so haunting when they come in. Nice job.

64. z32/Ben - Cloud Smiles
Nice dynamic contrasts.

65. Starting Over - Grande Valse brillante / F. Chopin Op 34, No. 2
Beautiful job! Did I detect some Gouldian muttering/humming/breathing along with the playing?

66. WJ3/Walt - Let It Be
Well played.

67. Monica K. - In un'altra vita (LaScala variation)
The new recording and playing turned out wonderfully. Sorry to take your final position slot! I'm fairly absorbed in my own world of intermediate classical piano standards, but I should give this Einaudi fellow some more attention, shouldn't I? smile Seven and a half minutes of sustained music amazes me too as I don't get much longer than 3-4 minutes in my pieces so far. Good job and thanks for all the work you do for the recitals!

68. cscl - Waltz in a minor (op. post.), Chopin
Cringeworthy! smile Smoothness between sections is coming together in general (you should have heard me a week ago!), but this was a very rough take at the absolute last minute (and I'm a regular ABF recital closer). If anyone has any suggestions, they would be helpful as I keep working on this piece. It's the most difficult piece I've played so far, hands down. My apologies for all the fits and starts with trills and ornaments!

01. AnthonyB - Una Mattina
Another chance for me to be exposed to the Einaudi movement in the ABF. Nicely done. I enjoyed listening to the piece.

02. jazzyprof - Intermezzo op.118 #2
Brahms and Schubert are two I've only listened to in small doses so far. I should listen to more of both. Thanks for this. Well played.

03. epf - Andante from Orpheo ed Euridice
Good work. It's nice to hear some works from earlier periods in the ABF recitals. Checked out the video as well.

04. rustyfingers - Arietta (8 Lyric Pieces, Op. 12, No. 1)
Grieg is awesome. I played Op. 12, No. 2 last fall for my recital and it's one of my favorite pieces. This one is very nice as well. Good job!

cscl
Estonia 190 Satin Ebony
ABF Recitals: [Linked Image]x9 — Studio Recitals: x17
[Linked Image][Linked Image]*
H
H
I'm getting through them. Beautiful. Really beautiful. Just one comment to make right now:

@GregF: best of luck on the recital. You sound in good form for it.

First set of comments, more later...

01. AnthonyB - Una Mattina - Sounds great ! Amazing you're playing like that after just a little over a year. Great job.

07. Riddler (Ed) - Tenderly - I almost did this tune for my submission and man am I glad I didn't after hearing this one. What a great full sound with the backing tracks. Nice improv too. Great job.

08. dannylux / Mel - Nazareth: Confidences - you always choose such interesting music, well done. Seems like a flawless performance to me. That you were letting your heart guide the rhythm, and your use of rubato, came through wonderfully. Great job !

15. Mr Super-Hunky - True Story - I'm really impressed. Very fluid, subtle yet effective dynamics and clearly someone playing with passion for the music. And a very nice job learning this by ear !

23. GregF - Hey Jude - Nice little arrangement you did there ! You had a great smoothness to your left hand in the first section. Well played !

24. mahlzeit - Quick Improv - Nice job. You always have such a great knack for melody. Even for something with as you say "a really simple theme" it holds the interest quite well.

25. Serge88 - Hey Jude - Nice playing. You kept a good pace all the way through, brought out the melody nicely - even in that section with the melody in the left hand and played with some very nice phrasing and dynamics. And thanks for exposing us to a nice arrangement of this classic

30. Mar_red - Autumn Leaves - You are doing amazing for playing only a couple of years ! The split keyboard thing you used was a bit disturbing with the way it put the cymbals in there, but overall it was a great effect. Your improv was very tasteful. I really liked that you kept the improv around the melody. Often times as people get better at improv they tend to forget how beautiful the improv can be when it retains a strong bit of the melody.

43. TX-Dennis (Dennis Turner) - Some Day My Prince Will Come - I'm so used to hearing jazz versions of this that it was a nice surprise to hear this done in a beautiful ballad style. Very well played, very little in the way of rough edges there.

45. jotur - Cathy Turner - San Antonio Rose - I always look forward to your pieces and this one did not disappoint. What a great feel you gave this. Nice work on the connecting bass lines, simple and effective. You did just great with the improv too. Nice job !

47. Seaside_Lee - As Long as He/She needs me - What a great sweet and tender beginning, and a very nice build to a dramatic finish. Another flawless Seaside performance. LAST RECITAL ?! Say it ain't so !

49. Copper - You Don't Bring Me Flowers - You may think you are "such a beginner", but I thought that was a really nice interpretation. Plus I've always got a soft spot for those playing from a fakebook or by ear. Not only are you learning the song but creating an arrangement. This is a good reminder of how beautiful a simple approach can be. Well done.

66. WJ3/Walt - Let It Be - You can't go wrong with a Beatles tune, good job.

------
If you knew what you were doing, you'd probably be bored.
- Fresco's Law
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Monica K.
Um... I just realized that, in my rush to swap out a better recording at the very last minute, I messed up my mp3 file. I managed to fix everything except the streaming player, so if you're listening to the recital on it (rather than downloading the zip files or clicking on the direct link), my piece cuts off abruptly at 1:30 minutes. I'd hate to deprive *anybody* here of all the Einaudi they deserve (especially John Frank), so if you're listening to the streaming player, when you get to my piece you may want to click on the direct link (which I fixed to send you to the full mp3 recording).

[slinks away very embarrassed]

It couldn't of happened to a nicer person...jk...nice job

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate

OP Offline

Well, it was very embarrassing. I still don't know how my mp3 file got messed up in the first place... I simply exported it the way I always do in Audacity/Lame.

But mahlzeit, the sweetheart heart , fixed things with the streaming player so now I'm good to go. thumb

Moral: Next time, DON'T be recording with less than an hour to the recital deadline! eek

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
It's a good day, you learned something...

Les Koltvedt
Servicing the Greater Atlanta area
www.LKPianos.com
PTG Associate
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Huge thanks to Monica, Mahlzeit & Copper (and anyone else I forget) for putting on these Recitals thumb
It's great for us to have an outlet such as this to express ourselves and show our progression thorugh out journey! Congratulations to all those who participated. OK off to listen and begin my comments.. smile

Last edited by TTigg; 05/15/09 11:07 AM.

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
G
G
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes
I'm getting through them. Beautiful. Really beautiful. Just one comment to make right now:

@GregF: best of luck on the recital. You sound in good form for it.

Thanks! Tonight is the night for the live performances. Our recital has two blocks of performances, and I do the prelude music before both. I'll post a write up later this weekend.

GregF

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
1st round of comments (still going through and enjoying every min!)

01. AnthonyB - Una Mattina
Very flowing, loved the progression and the overall tempo/feeling, great job. 1yr 4mths = wow keep up the great work. This piece reminds me of the type of music I hear playing as a background to great movie/TV tracks/scenes.

Very nice piece Jazzy, and heck anyone who can play for almost 7mins I'm in awe at. My last recital piece was 5.5m long and it almost killed me laugh

03. epf - Andante from Orpheo ed Euridice
Loved it, very peaceful with great dynamics. Where in SoCal are you?

04. rustyfingers - Arietta (8 Lyric Pieces, Op. 12, No. 1)
Nothing "rusty" about those fingers, very nice piece. I love the sound of your (I'm guessing older) piano..

05. Carl Mc - Summertime.reflection
Good god I love the sound of your Schimmel! I'm not a huge fan of opera (in general) but I very much did enjoy listening to the dynamics and range of this piece, great work!

06. tekkie - Opus #9
OMG beautiful, what piano did you use? sounded awesome.

07. Riddler (Ed) - Tenderly
Excellent work, my mind was wondering into various movie scenes and I could almost picture the jazz club scene with the men in white suits and the ladies in their 50s dresses, arm gloves and cigarettes sticking out of the long holders.. Great work!

08. dannylux / Mel - Nazareth: Confidences
Very enjoyable to listen to and wow, another +5min piece!

09. Ode2Joy - Two Part Invention in F major, No 8
shocked WOW! As others have pointed out, Bach is not easy (not for me at my level yet) but this piece was played very well and was a pleasure to listen to, great work! I can your in Pasadena, we're going to have to get all the SoCal folks together for a party for sure. I've got plenty of room @ my place but I live East of the 605 laugh which is a dead zone isn't it smile

10. Ken. - Medley: Soldiers' March, Op.68 No.2 & 12 Easy Pieces, No.2
Great work Ben and you can certainly not tell you've only been playing for such a short time, keep it up!

11. Ejay - FairiesHarp(Thompson)& Little Sonata (Wilton)Ist Movement
Are you kidding me1?! 3mths (jaw hits floor) excellent work and just keep doing what you're doing.

12. HomeInMyShoes - 1er Prélude du Nazaréen
Another +5m piece, beautifully played, great dynamics, great sound, really flowed...

13. Sam Smith - Prelude 21 from WTC #1
I only hope one day I can play Bach like you and the others, brilliant!!

14. TrueBeginner - Trip To Venice ( Voyage A Venice )
Beautiful piece! You're about 5mths ahead of me (in learning) and you sound amazing! I simply love the dynamics and rolls early on it..

15. Mr Super-Hunky - True Story
Amazing stuff Hunky! You never fail to deliver and it's always a joy to listen to your music.

16. Peyton - Tear My Stillhouse Down
wOw slow down there tiger (jk) One day I hope to be able to play as good as you but sing at the same time? That's going to take some work, bloody brilliant mate!

17. Schubertian - Allegretto D. 915
Another +5m piece, beautifully played..

18. Lisztener - If You Go Away
I always enjoy listening to your recitals pieces, again, I was not disappointed, very nicely done!

19. GreenRain - Sonata Op. 35, 3rd mvt, Marche funebre
8m! You're right it's a little "basey" but the overall piece is very striking and quite affirmative, almost authoritative.

20. JeanieA - Suicide is Painless
Lovely sounded instrument, what was the show (Mash?) whatever it was it's in my head now and I can't get it out (lol) great job!

"...I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING it!..."
[Linked Image]
My You Tube | My Box.net
Well, I've gotten to #16, and so far there's a lot of great stuff here! I'm on dial-up, so I've gotta download before I can listen because the streaming player only plays for me a piece at a time, but I've just gotta say, Peyton!!!!"Tear My Stillhouse Down" rocks!

Last edited by pianonewb; 05/15/09 11:00 AM.

Mike
Casio Privia PX 120

The only thing nescessary for evil to thrive is for good men to do nothing.
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
01. AnthonyB

Amazing! I can't beleive that you have been playing only for a little over a year, good job!

Amazing performance! Clean and with emotions! I also fell in love with this piece... I might learn it this summer...

Performer's name: Ode2Joy

Very nice! One of my favorite Bach's pieces. Short, but beautiful.

12. HomeInMyShoes - 1er Prélude du Nazaréen

Good job! I have really enjoyed your playing.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,259
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission