Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
63 registered members (ando, bennevis, Bambers, barbaram, Agent88, antwilk, Campanella12, CyberGene, AndyP, 17 invisible), 1,176 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? #1196032
05/09/09 07:06 AM
05/09/09 07:06 AM
Hudson Valley, NY
B
BSP Offline OP
BSP  Offline OP
B

Hudson Valley, NY
Hi everyone,
I am curious as to how many of us here don't accept students who have a keyboard?

I've gotten several inquiries over the years from parents who may have a keyboard who "just want to see how the kids do with piano" first, before making the commitment. Do you take these students and hope for the best? Or do you screen them out from there?

When I started taking lessons, way back in the 20th century (LOL), we didn't even have a piano. I guess the piano was on order (I was 5 years old, honestly, back in the 60's). I practiced on a cardboard replica of a piano keyboard until the real one came.

In the past, I've taken these students, because I didn't want to discourage anyone from learning to play music. I can understand the hesitation over making a commitment to purchase a piano, especially in this economy, but.. I just wonder how you all deal with this?

I have a few students who started out with a keyboard, and have purchased pianos. But I have two older students, both at the elementary level, who have keyboards and I'd love to see them make the switch. I don't think either student has a keyboard with weighted keys. Both have the technique problems you'd expect.
One family may be more open to buying at least a DP. For the other, $$ is tight, but I'm starting to see
the lessons "click" for the student, which is encouraging. I just really doubt that family will make the financial commitment.

Or the other question is, how do you encourage the parents to buy a better instrument for the student? What happens if they refuse?

I'm sure this topic has been addressed before, I just have no idea how to search for it..
I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts..
thanks,
BevP

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: BSP] #1196069
05/09/09 08:47 AM
05/09/09 08:47 AM
Minnesota
E
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ebony and Ivory  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Minnesota
Absolutely!!! There is a TON that one can learn on "just" a keyboard!

I give them information on what to look for in a piano, and suggest that they buy one. But, I will never tell a parent that they *have* to buy one. I have no idea what their finances are, and maybe they don't have the space for one.
On the plus side, I have had kids take their keyboards to Grandma's, friends, etc...can't do that with a piano smile

I would prefer a piano of course, but no, I will not refuse a family that only has a keyboard. Some will eventually go out and buy a piano (and I tell them to watch Craigslist, there are free/cheap ones if $$ is the only issue) or sometimes they don't. Eventually it becomes a challenge because of dynamics and (usual) lack of pedals, but they can still learn a lot.

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: BSP] #1196075
05/09/09 09:03 AM
05/09/09 09:03 AM
H
HomeInMyShoes Offline
HomeInMyShoes  Offline
H

Perhaps suggesting organ lessons with a different teacher is an option? I started on organ because that's what my parents had purchased (curse those 1970s smile ). My teacher suggested a switch to piano after about five years because piano repetoire fit my playing style better than organ did. I didn't have a piano at that time and had to go over to the neighbour's house to practice until we could get one on our own (I think that was for about 3 months or so.) I even took piano lessons and we learned stuff for an old JX-8P synthesizer I had picked up. I'd bring it to lessons once a month as well. I even played at one of the year-end recitals on synthesizer and a few on piano after starting on organ. Oddly enough I got more positive feedback from other parents after the synthesizer one than most of the piano and organ ones. :shrug:

If you're set against teaching someone without a piano it is your decision, not theirs. Teaching anyone is your decision. Well, at least a a decision equally weighted with teacher, student and parents in my opinion. Any side having doubts is bad news.

Maybe you could sign the student up for a set of lessons (I'd say 16 lessons at least (4 months)). There has to be commitment on both sides to see how it's going. You could stipulation that they find a way for the student to practice on piano after that time period. Whether that be through neighbours, friends, purchasing or renting.

Last edited by HomeInMyShoes; 05/09/09 09:04 AM.
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: HomeInMyShoes] #1196092
05/09/09 09:44 AM
05/09/09 09:44 AM
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stanny  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

My policy states that a student must have access to a full length acoustic piano in good working order or a quality full size digital piano. I have taken students with keyboards, and all but one have made the switch to a decent instrument.

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: HomeInMyShoes] #1196094
05/09/09 09:47 AM
05/09/09 09:47 AM
Indiana
C
Christopher Sedlak Offline
Christopher Sedlak  Offline
C

Indiana
Absolutely! My most advanced student right now only had a Yamaha keyboard until last year. Her progress has, of course, more rapidly advanced with a real piano. But it with the keyboard that she developed a love for playing a keyboard instrument.

Generally speaking, if a parent sees that a child is making good progress with the keyboard, they will at least consider making an investment in a better instrument. I would explain that as lessons get more advanced, a piano will help the child reach their full potential.

Composer & Solo Piano Artist
www.christophersedlak.com

(also offering piano instruction and web development services)

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Christopher Sedlak] #1196122
05/09/09 11:02 AM
05/09/09 11:02 AM
Australia
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R0B  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Australia
I have several students who only have keyboards. I always try to encourage the parents of promising students, to upgrade to at least a weighted digital, but few ever do.
I never cease to be amazed by parents who will spend crazy amounts of money, on dance outfits, or sports equipment, plus fund the costs for all the associated travel, event fees, etc., but when it comes to piano, they have some kind of mental block.
You would be amazed at the number of emails I receive, saying " My daughter/son, is really keen to learn to play piano/keyboard/guitar. Does it matter if we don't have one? "

Rob
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: BSP] #1196150
05/09/09 12:35 PM
05/09/09 12:35 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Bev, check HERE one which generated a lot of heat.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1196226
05/09/09 02:58 PM
05/09/09 02:58 PM
G
Gyro Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Gyro  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
G

I'm not a teacher, but I consider this a complete non-issue.
For example, a person who has never played anything but
the xylophone can sit down at the piano and play it
instantly without instruction. Furthermore, I believe such
a person could actually take piano lessons, with no
instrument but the xylophone at home and do okay--and if
he was very good on the xylophone, he would do
well on the piano, even if he had nothing but the
xylophone to practice on. Had he a $50, 61-key portable
keyboard to supplement the xylophone, then I think
he could tear up the keys on a piano.

Furthermore, the implication is that J.S. Bach could
not play a lick on a modern grand piano, since he
never played anything but the organ, clavichord,
and harpsichord. That's idiotic.

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Gyro] #1196269
05/09/09 04:42 PM
05/09/09 04:42 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
B
BSP Offline OP
BSP  Offline OP
B

Hudson Valley, NY
Hi everyone,
I appreciate your responses. And, John, I had read that thread.. I thought this question was slightly different, b/c the OP of that thread had a DP.

From what I see, there are many of us who teach students with keyboards. This just brings me to more questions..

How do you handle technical issues.. i.e., flat finger playing, poor wrist position, students not being able to generate a sound on a piano?

My keyboard students have these issues.. either they can't get a sound from my piano because they play just using their fingers at home when they practice, or their wrists hang from the keyboard like they're rock climbers, etc. I get tired correcting these mistakes each week, and it's not the kids' fault. They just can't think to correct these issues once they leave my studio. OTOH, I have a young student who has a keyboard, and for some reason transfers to perfect finger technique at the piano.. it boggles my mind. She's a natural!

I was at my music school's recital today and I watched a young lady play who, imho, must have had a keyboard at home. She played very fluently, but her wrists were hanging over the keyboard, like the rock climber. It was hard to watch.

LOL.. I must have heard "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" and "Spinning Song" 10 times today. (it was a Suzuki student recital) OMG.. "Spinning Song" was never in my repertoire, either.. I won't hear it again for another 6 months or so, but even then, it'll be too soon. smile

BevP

Last edited by BSP; 05/09/09 04:43 PM.
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: BSP] #1196280
05/09/09 05:02 PM
05/09/09 05:02 PM
Minnesota
E
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ebony and Ivory  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Minnesota
Originally Posted by BSP
LOL.. I must have heard "Go Tell Aunt Rhody" and "Spinning Song" 10 times today.

WHY would anyone do that? That would be a terrible thing to have to sit though! I never have ANY repeats of pieces in my recitals. I think that it would be sad to work hard on something and then have another kid (maybe even younger!) come along and play it better! That can't be good for a kid. frown
(or the audience! Argh!)

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: BSP] #1196284
05/09/09 05:10 PM
05/09/09 05:10 PM
Minnesota
E
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ebony and Ivory  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Minnesota
Originally Posted by BSP
poor wrist position,

her wrists were hanging over the keyboard, like the rock climber. It was hard to watch.

What the heck happened to my other post? urgh

When "my kids" are having their lessons, I will reach under their palms and gently lift their hands. Over and over and over and over until they finally quit doing it. I don't say anything, and I don't stop them. After a time or two, all I need to do is touch their palm and they know what I want them to do.

BTW, I agree that it's hard to watch!

Originally Posted by BSP
students not being able to generate a sound on a piano?

Have you ever taken your piano apart for kids to study? I do this every few months or so, just so they can all see how it all works. I think this is especially important with the keyboard kids because it will (IMO) help them to understand WHY they need so much more effort to hear a sound. If they can see how many things are happening, then it will make sense to them and they can associate the different instrument with the different effort

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Ebony and Ivory] #1196298
05/09/09 05:34 PM
05/09/09 05:34 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Wrist:

I've never had a problem with a student "hanging the wrists" because it is impossible to do this when the palm of the hand is over the keyboard. Just try playing a Gb major chord, triad, with a low wrist. It immediately smashes down the white keys. Too-low-wrists is directly related to playing on white notes, in my opinion.

DPs: How much a student can get done on one of these 61 key no-action keyboards has a lot to do with how you teach. I stress reading more than anything else (in the first couple years), so in my lessons technique develops from what people are able to play, meaning read. This means that I can get a lot done in the first six months to a year, and students who do well (even the small ones) start complainging about what they can't do at home. For one thing, they run out of keys. I go below and above the 61 key limit very quickly.

Once the students want something better, most parents will respond very quickly *if they can*. I've never had a student do well whose parents would not cooperate in getting something better, but a good DP is acceptable to me. Unlike some other teachers here, I am not preparing students for competitions.

If I had a competition level student, someone serious, I would be pushing for the parents to get some kind of grand.

Unlike many others, I don't prefer uprights to the better DPs. I simply loathe playing on uprights. That's *my* prejudice. smile

Last edited by Gary D.; 05/09/09 05:35 PM.

Piano Teacher
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Ebony and Ivory] #1196389
05/09/09 09:05 PM
05/09/09 09:05 PM
Hudson Valley, NY
B
BSP Offline OP
BSP  Offline OP
B

Hudson Valley, NY
Ebony and Ivory,
I heard those 2 pieces a lot today because I was at my school's
Suzuki recital. The Suzuki repertoire is standard, and when you have a lot of students at the same level, you're apt to hear the same tunes a lot. There are 3 Suzuki piano teachers and more than one string teachers. I heard those pieces from string players and pianists today.

Also, last year I went to a Suzuki piano camp. There were at least 7-10 kids studying in book 1 and book 2 that week. I think these kids benefit a lot by hearing others play the same pieces.. they learn so much by ear, that by hearing the other kids play, they learn what to do and what NOT to do.

Do you find that kids in your studio get inspired when they hear the more advanced students?

BevP

Last edited by BSP; 05/09/09 09:06 PM.
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: BSP] #1196394
05/09/09 09:16 PM
05/09/09 09:16 PM
Canada
S
Steve B Offline
Steve B  Offline
S

Canada
I will take raw beginners with a keyboard only, and trust that I can get them hooked enough that their parents will consider upgrading within the first two years of lessons.

If I have someone call that has no instrument yet, I'll point them in the direction of a good digital. If cost is still an issue, a keyboard with full-sized keys (even if only 61 of them) is a good enough place to start for the early beginner books. Keyboards with tiny keys don't help anyone at any level.

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Steve B] #1196493
05/10/09 01:42 AM
05/10/09 01:42 AM
Orange County, CA
AZNpiano Offline
7000 Post Club Member
AZNpiano  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Orange County, CA
It depends on the kid. If the kid is alert, responsive, and quick-to-learn, I'll take him/her.

Eventually, though, the kid has to switch to a real piano. I've dealt with enough "keyboard only" kids to know they don't take piano lessons for very long.

My most recent new students are two younger siblings who "inherited" a grand piano from their older sibling. They are already off to a great start in piano. I guess it's never too soon to start practicing on grands.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Ebony and Ivory] #1198789
05/13/09 09:59 PM
05/13/09 09:59 PM
Toronto, Canada
M
musiclady Offline
musiclady  Offline
M

Toronto, Canada

Clarinet and Piano Teacher based out of Toronto, Canada.Web: http://donmillsmusicstudio.weebly.com
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: musiclady] #1198820
05/13/09 10:50 PM
05/13/09 10:50 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Wow, 15 reasons, and good ones at that! Thanks. I'm putting that into my "must read" for parents file. Thanks.

Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1198830
05/13/09 11:08 PM
05/13/09 11:08 PM
Stanny Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Stanny  Offline
1000 Post Club Member

Excellent article, Meri!

~Stanny~

Independent Music Teacher
Certified Piano Teacher, American College of Musicians
Member: MTNA, NGPT, ASMTA, NAMTA
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Stanny] #1199061
05/14/09 11:44 AM
05/14/09 11:44 AM
Australia
R
R0B Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R0B  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
R

Australia
Call me old fashioned, but I would never deny someone the pleaure of learning to play music, based on an elitist view of the instrument they own.
Much can be learned on a 61 key keyboard, and if the will, and desire is there, the student will upgrade, without any demands being made on my side.

Rob
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: musiclady] #1199067
05/14/09 11:54 AM
05/14/09 11:54 AM
Hudson Valley, NY
B
BSP Offline OP
BSP  Offline OP
B

Hudson Valley, NY
Meri,
Thanks so much for the article! I agree with everything you've said there. I'd rather have students who have a piano, but the recession is making a big difference where I live.

I hope you don't mind if I print it out??

thanks,
BevP

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: R0B] #1199112
05/14/09 01:15 PM
05/14/09 01:15 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Originally Posted by R0B
Call me old fashioned, but I would never deny someone the pleaure of learning to play music, based on an elitist view of the instrument they own.
Much can be learned on a 61 key keyboard, and if the will, and desire is there, the student will upgrade, without any demands being made on my side.

I was watching an interesting program last night on TV. It was talking about Saul Alinsky's "Rules for Radicals" one of which is to attack your opponent using ridicule.

I think this has seeped into our general discourse over time. It's on TV with many of the sitcoms, which are full of ridicule and nasty one liners.

IMHO,calling a piano teacher "elitist" who actually insists that the student learn to play piano using a piano (what an incendiary idea!) borders on this.

If teachers among us wish to allow students the use of keyboards as the initial student learning vehicle, fine. If teachers, wishing to work only with students having pianos at home, fine. Likewise, if students want to learn on a keyboard, knowing and being informed that many teachers have serious reservations about the use of such devices, fine. But can we leave the disparaging comments behind?

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1199178
05/14/09 03:11 PM
05/14/09 03:11 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

If teachers among us wish to allow students the use of keyboards as the initial student learning vehicle, fine. If teachers, wishing to work only with students having pianos at home, fine. Likewise, if students want to learn on a keyboard, knowing and being informed that many teachers have serious reservations about the use of such devices, fine. But can we leave the disparaging comments behind?

Sure, but your comments re students who have keyboards are consistently pretty extreme, and this topic is always a hot one.

Just to make my position clear, again:

One of my best students started with a 61 key keyboard, no touch sensitivity, no pedal. There was no father, her mother worked very hard, and they just didn't have much money. Of course I was not pleased with the little girl having such a primitive thing at home, but the family was there every week, the girl practiced really hard, and she was just a lovely person to teach.

The moment it became obvious that she was serious, I began working with the mom on a plan to get a piano, and I think that happened either by the end of the first year or close to it.

John, I know you are a dedicated teacher, and I really think you would have like this girl. I had her all the way to the end of high school. Over that past few years I've had at least half a dozen students who have started with keyboards and moved to pianos after about a year.

I agree that there is no need to posture or insult, but those who take a very rigid stance re not teaching students who do not have instruments that meet their approval should not be surprised when they are challenged.

I consider myself in the middle of this issue. I really hate the light action 61 key keyboards, probably for all the same reasons you do. My opinion about the better DPs is totally different from yours, so there we will have to agree to disagree.

Remember, I'm the guy who doesn't like uprights, so it's not as though I am personally contented with any instrument that does not allow me to do anything I am able to do. I think a really fine player is hindered by any piano that is not a grand, not in tune, not regulated, and so on. The problem is that very few people have such a first class instrument to practice on.

I think these threads put too much emphasis on the instrument and too little on the person playing the instrument. There are people who have ideal instruments in the home who will get nowhere. They don't have the desire, discipline, etc. Then there are people like me who struggle with a very mediocre first piano (no DPs in my day, of course) who work very hard and succeed.

I'm trying to be polite here. This topic really gets *me* angry too, and I'm afraid for the most part I'm on the other side of it. smile

Piano Teacher
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Gary D.] #1199190
05/14/09 03:28 PM
05/14/09 03:28 PM
Minnesota
E
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ebony and Ivory  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Minnesota
Originally Posted by Gary D.

and I'm afraid for the most part I'm on the other side of it. smile

If by "other side" you feel you're the only one that feels keyboards can be valuable, then you're not alone!

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Gary D.] #1199200
05/14/09 03:38 PM
05/14/09 03:38 PM
Olympia, Washington, USA
John v.d.Brook Offline
7000 Post Club Member
John v.d.Brook  Offline
7000 Post Club Member

Olympia, Washington, USA
Gary, challenge away. However, my objection was to the rhetorical techniques used by ROB, including name calling, labeling, etc.

As for my comments and position being pretty extreme, let's examine that for a minute:

First, I am definitely in the camp which believes pianos are stringed instruments which are played percussively, using a keyboard to control the hammers and dampers, etc.; I realize this is a very extreme position, although, for some reason, 100% accurate. Go figure.

I have posted many times that I do take students with keyboards, but encourage them to switch as soon as they are able.

I have had advanced students with keyboards, but who have had consistently challenging problems because of it. Posted that too.

I lend out my keyboard to needy students, and am doing so currently so now (student isn't doing too badly, either); posted that too.

Now, from where I am sitting, in front of my keyboard, it sounds to me like I'm being the reasonable teacher here, and positions left or right of me should be considered extreme! laugh

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1199221
05/14/09 04:13 PM
05/14/09 04:13 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida

Piano Teacher
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: John v.d.Brook] #1199239
05/14/09 04:59 PM
05/14/09 04:59 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
John, I see potential problems about how messages are chained together logically by referring to name.
Originally Posted by John v.d.Brook

Gary, challenge away. However, my objection was to the rhetorical techniques used by ROB, including name calling, labeling, etc.

If you look above, you will see a message from me blank except for "…".

I did not reply to *you*. smile I just typed. Under this new format, if anyone simply replies without quoting, it is automatically linked to the last person who posted. That's why I use quotes, John, when I really am replying to someone, as I am to you here. So I think it's important to assume that a comment is not necessarily aimed at us unless it is directed to us.

Now, from where I am sitting, in front of my keyboard, it sounds to me like I'm being the reasonable teacher here, and positions left or right of me should be considered extreme!

Actually, I feel much the same about my position. wink

Last edited by Gary D.; 05/14/09 05:00 PM.

Piano Teacher
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Gary D.] #1199264
05/14/09 05:45 PM
05/14/09 05:45 PM
Whittier, Calif
Roxy Offline
Roxy  Offline

Whittier, Calif
I don't care what the subject is you shouldn't have to disagree with ridicule and putting another person down as evidently was done on the program even if your point is valid or has merit. It is alright to disagree on different subjects and still believe passionately in ones own point of view without grinding the other person underfoot. Of course without hearing the show I don't know how bad the ridicule was or if facts were stated and one felt ridiculed but that was not the intention. I do feel a piano to learn to play piano is the best way. And obviously a quality instrument is always prefered. A keyboard is not a piano so to learn to play one instrument on another instrument is not going to achieve maximum results. However one must always take into consideration the musicality of the student, the commitment of the parents and student and practicality of the monetary situation encouraging change to the correct instrument as soon as possible if the correct instrument is not possible in the begining. One doest not always have ideal circumstances to work with. One has to decide will they possibly let a talented student go that can possibly achieve wonders but just may have a little slow start because of reality and with a little patience can either educated the parents or work with the situation for a short time so that a "real piano" can be purchased. That is each teacher's preference but we don't have to be upset about it, take it personal or attack each other. And by saying this I do not mean to infer in any way that anyone was putting anyone down or attacking anyone. I enjoyed reading the different thoughts that were espressed and think the teachers expressing them are very dedicated and truely want the best for the students. Thanx for sharing your views and expertise.

Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Roxy] #1199291
05/14/09 06:56 PM
05/14/09 06:56 PM
South Florida
G
Gary D. Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Gary D.  Offline
6000 Post Club Member
G

South Florida
Again, I want to point out that it appears as though you are replying to me, personally, because the message says "re: Gary D."

That is where a lot of problems start. People are making general replies, but it *appears* that they are directed to one person.
Originally Posted by Roxy

I don't care what the subject is you shouldn't have to disagree with ridicule and putting another person down as evidently was done on the program even if your point is valid or has merit.

Just to make it clear, I am not supporting ridicule or sarcasm, and I agree with John about the wrongness of attacking people rather than debating ideas, facts, opinions…

However one must always take into consideration the musicality of the student, the commitment of the parents and student and practicality of the monetary situation encouraging change to the correct instrument as soon as possible if the correct instrument is not possible in the begining. One doest not always have ideal circumstances to work with.

I agree. However, all these things become more and more clear, over time, when very young students start from zero. I'm sure most of us have instincts about which students are serious and which students have parental support (and so on), but even so I am very often wrong about which students will continue to be committed and which parents will continue to support.

In addition, I'm never quite sure where new students are heading. For example, if it turns out that a promising student has a love of what most people call "classical" music and might even want to major in piano performance, that student *HAS* to have a good piano. No DP is going to do the job. In this particular situation, I would go farther than most other people. I am going to insist to the parents that not only is a second-rate piano not good enough but that anything but a good grand is going to set such a student back.

BUT: unlike many teachers here (apparently) I do *not* get such serious students except perhaps once every 10 years. I actually discourage students from majoring in piano or music unless they express the kind of drive I had. And that is about being so in love with music that they just can't stand to do anything else.

So for all the rest of the students, the choice between piano and a good DP does not seem critical to me until it is clear that a student is going to specialize in "classical" music.

My personal line is drawn at continuing to work with students who only have a light action (springs) DP, because then the hands don't do anything right and won't adjust to weighted action, even for a better DP.

Last edited by Gary D.; 05/14/09 06:59 PM.

Piano Teacher
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: Gary D.] #1199294
05/14/09 07:01 PM
05/14/09 07:01 PM
Beautiful San Diego, CA
eweiss Offline
2000 Post Club Member
eweiss  Offline
2000 Post Club Member

Beautiful San Diego, CA
Keyboards, organs, and even (gasp) harmoniums.

Seriously, for students whose goal is not to be a concert pianist it's all good!

Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com
Re: Do you accept students w/a keyboard only? [Re: eweiss] #1199313
05/14/09 07:37 PM
05/14/09 07:37 PM
Minnesota
E
Ebony and Ivory Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Ebony and Ivory  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E

Minnesota
Originally Posted by eweiss
Keyboards, organs, and even (gasp) harmoniums.
Seriously, for students whose goal is not to be a concert pianist it's all good!

Yup. Like Gary said, I don't get those serious musicians either. None (that I know of anyway) has gone into the music field professionally.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Disgusted with iTunes. Suggestions for iPhone?
by gooddog. 10/23/18 01:01 AM
Whaletone
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/18 12:36 AM
What do you use to hold loose sheet music up?
by Tyrone Slothrop. 10/23/18 12:22 AM
Bechstein A190
by Bingo55. 10/22/18 11:32 PM
Key Action Roland FP-30 vs Kawai es110
by donfelipes. 10/22/18 10:57 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,944
Posts2,754,864
Members91,316
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission