2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, Barly, 1957, btcomm, 11 invisible), 2,010 guests, and 344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1198446 05/13/09 11:14 AM
G
Gwena Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Hi,

I'm getting ready to do my auditions for music school next year. This school requires three contrasting selections. I'm mostly decided on the first two, but have no clue what to play for the 3rd.

List A:
- Bach's Prelude and Fugue in b minor (book II)

List B:
- Liszt's Liebestraum or maybe Un sospiro

List C:
- ???

Here are the list of composers that I can pick from for this list:
Albeniz, Barber, Bartok, Bolcom, Copland, Debussy, da Falla, Gershwin, Ginastera, Granados, Hindemith, Ibert, Khachaturian, Messiaen, Poulenc, Prokofief, Ravel, Schönberg, Shostakovich, Villa Lobos, Archer, Beckwith, Champagne, Coulthard, Crawley, Dela, Fleming, Glick, Hétu, Kulesha, Louie, David L. McIntyre, Morawetz, Morel, Mozetich, Papineau-Couture, Pepin, Pentland, Clark Ross, Somers, Southam

Of this list the composers I am familiar with are Debussy, (I have played La Fille aux Cheveux de Lin) Gershwin and Shostakovich. I am looking for stuff that is around Grade 10 RCM level.

Thank you!!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Third movement from Ginastera's Danzas Argentinas, Ravel Sonatina, Prokofiev a movement from he fourth sonata. Perhaps the first or third Gerswhin preludes.

Maybe one of the Debussy etudes?? The La fille aux Cheveux de line is a lovely piece, but does not contrast all that much from the Liebestraum or unsospiro. Something a little more energetic would be good for the third.

P
P
morel has two very nice 'etudes de velocite' or something aong those lines.
southam wrote some nice bagatelles.

repertoire for the moment:
bach: prelude and fugue in b-, book i (WTC)
mozart - sonata in D+, k. 576
schumann (transc. liszt) - widmung
coulthard - image astrale
Gwena!!

Wow, what an l o n g list of composers to pick from. Some of those guys, I have never even heard of. David L. McIntyre confused. . .doesn't this guy have a band? I don't know. Anyways, so audition repertoire, I think that there would be a million suggestions with the list you gave, but here are a few more:

Here are pieces on or near the level of difficult to Un Sospiro:

Barber: Ballade (interesting work, this was a commision for the Clibrun)

Bartok: Suite Op. 14 (solid composition, good for learning about character and ugliness in music)

Bolcolm: 9 Bagatelles (Short but sweet, another Cliburn commission)

Copland: Passacaglia (Some people like this, some don't you be the judge)

Debussy: Someone mentioned the etudes, I think one etude is enough (un sospiro), what about the Isle of Joy (only 5-6 min)

Ginastera: Good ole Gina. Yes the Danzas argentinas are great, as is the Suite de Danzas Criollas (listen to the whole suite before judging. . . it has an ending that is sure to get a standing ovation)

Messiaen: Hey what about a prelude. There 8 preludes that sound almost like debussy, but a little further on in history. Check these out for sure.

Prokofiev: Endless works. . . if I had to pick one, what about a movement from sarcasms. This is highly Effective music.

Ravel: Another great composer. Yes I like the sonatine recommendation, good starter piece for ravel. That third movement will put your fingers in a knot.

Shosty: Check out my blog on this guys music, and the picture I found of him. It's way too funny. He was a harry potter look-alike. I write about his prelude and fugue in D minor. I don't know if this would be great with the bach for an audition, but definitely for a recital (to show comparison).

As for as ARCHER and on, can't help you there, I don't know them. Maybe I will look them up sometime. I probably shculd.

Happy listening! grin

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission