2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
48 members (AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, bcalvanese, colinvda, Adam Reynolds, cascadia, ChickenBrother, CrashTest, 6 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
So for my English class I need to write a compare/contrast essay. I'm planning to do it on Mozart and Beethoven. Does anyone here have any good sources that they might remember where I can get a good start? I of course already have wikipedia and others like that on the individual composer which I can use for the whole essay, but I was wondering if there were any that already compared Beethoven's and Mozart's music so I could get more of a reference.

Chopin: Nocturne No. 15 in Fm. Op. 55 no.1.
Are you sure you want to do Mozart and Beethoven? To me, it would make a little more sense to compare Mozart and Haydn, since they were friends and favorable critics of each other.

But either way, maybe you should look at an analysis of, say, a piano sonata from each one and try to talk about the style. It might be a little more focused than just looking for general comparisons.

Kawai K-3 (2008)
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
Well I was thinking Mozart and Beethoven because both of them are very well known to people even not into classical music and are pretty much the two biggest names in the classical period although their styles are incredibly different. I want to do Beethoven because I love Beethoven and virtually everything he wrote, he's definitely in the top of my favorite/most influential composers list. I like the idea of analyzing a single sonata of each, or maybe even analyzing a symphony. That would be good. I'll of course need to spend some time doing a general comparison of the composers but getting specific with the sonata is a great idea, thanks!

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
If this were to be a research paper then you would need to go to various sources about the musical styles of these two composers and base your paper on what you glean from those resources, citing them appropriately as you go.

However, since this is a paper for an English class it sounds to me that it is not a research paper but rather one in which you express your own opinions on the subject; it's the process rather than the product that is the more important. It further seems to me, again, since it's an English paper, that the technical specifics of these two composers' styles is less important than how you handle the exercise of comparing and contrasting their styles, generally.

If you describe the Classical style of writing and the early Romantic style of writing, then you should have material to make your own comparisons and contrasts. If you already have sources on the two composers - and their styles? - then you should have all you need to compare and contrast them.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
Well, you are correct in saying that the main point of the paper is the technical exercise of writing a compare and contrast essay, no the research that goes into it. As a music major though I want to be as accurate and in depth as needed. I have sites on the individual composers, I just didn't know if anyone had anything that was specifically comparing the two already so I could read that. That's all I was asking.

Originally Posted by xxmynameisjohnxx
Does anyone here have any good sources that they might remember where I can get a good start?
Hmmm...made out of trees....available in libraries (only just!)....oh, I remember - books!

X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
Very funny KBK, I was hoping to check out my school's library tomorrow but I figured that internet sources are just as good for this class and easier to use, :P.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
You need to decide if you are comparing and contrasting their lives, and/or their character, as well as their music. For the music, listening is your best source.

X
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
X
It'll start with an intro paragraph of their lives, and then I'll go into their music. I feel that the best way to compare and contrast them is the passion in their music. I feel that Mozart composed beautiful, perfect, very free, light hearted music in general...where as Beethoven just poured himself into his music and the broad range of emotions is just huge.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
With respect, I would disagree. There is as much Mozart in his music, as there is Beethoven in his. Mozart's operas, in particular, contain a huge range of emotions. And listen to the G minor string quintet, or the C minor or D minor piano concertos; light-hearted??? Mozart's understanding of humanity, as demonstrated by his operas, is supreme.

Jim Hession, a terrific stride pianist, described it like this on one of his videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=934MWKYYQNc

Ragtime is to stride as Mozart is to Beethoven. This is somewhat simplistic but still a very interesting comparison.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 05/11/09 06:33 AM.
Very funny KBK, I was hoping to check out my school's library tomorrow but I figured that internet sources are just as good for this class and easier to use, :P.

Internet sources for classical music are far inferior to books, especially where major composers are concerned. You'll want to have a look at things like Charles Rosen's book on sonata form, "Performance Practices in Classical Piano Music" by Sandra Rosenblum, William Kinderman's book on Beethoven, and Maynard Solomon's biography of Mozart. Also of interest would be Leonard Meyer's "Emotion and Meaning in Music" and Leonard Ratner's "Classic Music: Expression, Form, and Style."

Plus, use the scores as primary sources themselves, especially in cases where two pieces might invite comparison. (For example, Mozart's d minor concerto and Beethoven's C minor concerto - Beethoven admitted to liking the Mozart, and both are each composer's only minor key concerto.)

As we've recently discovered with the thread on Chopin Op. 25#12 and fugues, some internet sources are laughably bad.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
rrb Offline
Originally Posted by David-G
With respect, I would disagree. There is as much Mozart in his music, as there is Beethoven in his.... Mozart's understanding of humanity, as demonstrated by his operas, is supreme.

I have some difficulty believing that anyone, even as monumentally gifted an individual as Mozart, who dies in his mid-thirties can have a 'supreme understanding of humanity'.

In regard to choosing Mozart and Beethoven as a suitable subject for a compare/contrast study, I agree with other posters who have pointed out that this is a rather ambitious undertaking. I'm all for 'aiming high', but this is higher than I would myself aim.

Maybe that's, in a nutshell, the wisdom and the curse of relative decrepitude tired

Rob
I would agree with "coolkid70" and others here. You may want to consider another comparison. I would also suggest Mozart and Haydn. They lived in about the same time, but their lives were very different. Haydn was very small town country type, and Mozart was big city because of much traveling. I think you will get a better comparison paper from these two.

Kevin

[Linked Image]
Yamaha S90 --------------- SS-69 Grand
The most important thing in music is what is not in the notes.
I think a Beethoven/Mozart comparison is fine. Biographically, there's much to be said about the role of their fathers, and each had a career that was a bit less stable than Haydn's.

Both Mozart and Beethoven were concertizing pianists (Haydn not so much), and Mozart and Beethoven found important audiences in Vienna (as opposed to Haydn's stable Esterhazy gig.)

Musically, Beethoven and Mozart represent the "First Viennese School" - to which Schoenberg and his disciples would be compared a hundred years later.

Of course, there are major differences - Mozart excelled in an area which Beethoven did not, and Beethoven's motivic construction is more allied with Haydn's style than Mozart's penchant for "singing allegro" melodies.

Sorry, I better stop before I write his paper for him. (I often shudder to think how much of Piano World has been plagiarized in Music Appreciation courses across the US.) laugh

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Originally Posted by Kreisler
(I often shudder to think how much of Piano World has been plagiarized in Music Appreciation courses across the US.) laugh

Probably true!

Oh, and to spice the comparison, xx....xx should listen (and read through) some late Mozart piano work, and some of the early Beethoven sonatas. Then he can see the similarities and differences at just about the same moment in time. He can also witness Beethoven poaching a few things from Mozart!

S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Plus, use the scores as primary sources themselves, especially in cases where two pieces might invite comparison. (For example, Mozart's d minor concerto and Beethoven's C minor concerto - Beethoven admitted to liking the Mozart, and both are each composer's only minor key concerto.)

This might be misread as stating that Mozart only wrote one minor-key concerto. Just to clarify, there are two (as David-G mentioned earlier): c minor (K. 491) and d minor (K. 466).

Also, while I wouldn't underestimate the need for doing the requisite research or the need for accuracy in making a sound comparison, Bruce's observation that this is a paper for an English class is worth repeating. The exercise of comparing and contrasting within the form of a skillfully structured essay is a more important consideration than the musicology that drives the content.

Steven

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Internet sources for classical music are far inferior to books, especially where major composers are concerned.

That is very true.
If you want to be a serious musician. Let me rephrase that: if you want to be taken seriously at all, you need become familiar with more authoritative sources.
When I use online sources like "wiki," I tend to use them as a starting point - never as something I footnote or otherwise reference.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rrb
I have some difficulty believing that anyone, even as monumentally gifted an individual as Mozart, who dies in his mid-thirties can have a 'supreme understanding of humanity'.

I'm guessing you have not studied Mozart's operas (especially from Idomeneo onwards) in any kind of depth. A pity.

Die Krebs gehn zurucke,
Die Stockfisch bleiben dicke,
Die Karpfen viel fressen,
Die Predigt vergessen.

Die Predigt hat g'fallen.
Sie bleiben wie alle.
O
O
This is a great topic. However, it would be difficult to treat it with proper depth in an essay for an English class. A proper treatment of the subject could easily consume an entire book. Therefore, it is important to pick out a few things to focus on with the understanding that you will have to leave out detailed information.

A very comprehensive biography of Mozart is “W. A. Mozart” by Hermann Abert (English tranlation by Stewart Spencer). Wolfgang Hildesheimer and Alfred Einstein have also written highly regarded biographies of Mozart which are shorter. Maynard Solomon has written accessible biographies of both Mozart and Beethoven.

Regarding Beethoven,"Thayer's Life of Beethoven" is a classic biography in two parts. H. C. Robbins Landon has written a good biography entitled "Beethoven: His Life, Work and World".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,152
Members111,629
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission