Originally Posted by hippido
Hi bit,

I agree that good dynamics/technique outweighs fast tempo. It is just that I don't know much about piano, hence can't really help him with those. But I can count thus would be able to help with the tempo. The kid is asked to play this one piece the whole week for an hour every night (same piece 20 - 25 times a night), so it's important to make it challenging to keep him interested. Any suggestions on how to keep his interest playing the same piece over and over again?

Best,
H

You will learn along with your son, I certainly did with our daughter. Spend lots of time on youtube listening to different versions to start to train your ear.

When you say he's expected to "practice" it 20-25 times, are you really saying that the teacher expects him to run through the piece that many times? Or did the teacher simply say to practice for an hour a day, and your dividing the hour by the approx length of the piece to get your number? If it's the former, then I don't think there is possibly anything you could do to "make it interesting". If it's the latter, then I assume he will end up practicing parts of it over that time, only really playing completely through the piece a few times. One thing to watch out for is to pick a tempo that can be maintained throughout the whole piece. Generally it's better to play a bit slower overall due to one section, vs just playing that one section slower.

Good luck.