2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (brennbaer, accordeur, antune, Colin Miles, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,823 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
galina Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am interested in buying an old upright Trayber (chicago) piano. Does anyone know about the initial quality of this make? Also looking at a Starr and a Walworth, but the Trayber has my heart. I play classical and do not want a saloon sounding piano...you know what I mean. I am doing this long distance so cannot play to decide. All 3 are under $200 so it is not that big of a gamble. I know, I'm crazy, but any comments are appreciated. Thanks much

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
When you are dealing with old pianos, condition matters more than anything else, and unfortunately, it is impossible to evaluate condition without seeing the instrument. You really should not buy any piano without trying it.

Semipro Tech
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
If you play, and play classical music, no $200 old upright is going to be satisfactory. Likely not tunable to current concert pitch. Likely will not hold a tune at a relative pitch with itself. Likely will have a very tubby bass response like dull thuds. Key action will likely not be regular and likely not regulateable. Please do not buy a piano long distance!

Co-Author of The Complete Idiot's Guide To Buying A Piano. A "must read" before you shop.
Work for west coast dealer for Yamaha, Schimmel, Bosendorfer, Wm. Knabe.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Galina, if you read back on this forum as little as a week or two, you would find at least two or three similar stories and how they blew up in the person's face.

To review: get the books and do the research about instruments and the market first; play the piano yourself, in person (no substitutions are permissible); and have a qualified technician evaluate it for its condition, with a cost estimate for getting it playable, before you buy a piano--- let alone ship one.

These simple steps can help the fever go down... and if they don't, once you find out how much piano maintenance and lessons cost (and how much of your time they will take), maybe you'll cool off a bit more. If that still fails, get a quote from a hauler for taking an old junk piano to the dump--- I think you'll find that alone will cost more than this elderly, Brand X instrument.

Could you persuade your heart it likes something else after all--- something that would be better for it? A lot of us have had to do it with trans-fats and ended up none the worse.

Clef

G
galina Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Thank you all for your advise...I will wait and of course have a technician have a good look at anything I will buy. Just wondered if anyone knew about the 3 makers I mentioned. Must breathe, must breathe......

G
galina Offline OP
OP Offline
G
I am still looking for someone with any information about the history or quality of the Tryber upright piano (Chicago). Someone out there must have one or have serviced one. Please respond if so. Thanks all.
Galina

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission