2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments. Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
92 members (Baltguy, ambrozy, Abdol, Beansparrow, BachToTheFuture, Bentsch, BrokenSymmetry, Animisha, 25 invisible), 907 guests, and 601 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: White Piano Taboo?
doremi #1188017 04/26/09 10:17 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I believe white grands were more popular than they currently are in the 60s and 70s. It seems that many performers used white grands back then. I am speaking of popular music here. Classical has pretty much always been all about black. I recall seeing Liberace, Jerry Lee Lewis, Floyd Cramer, and a number of other pianists on white pianos a few (dozen) years back. There is certainly nothing wrong with a white piano if that is your wife's preference. A few years ago a dealer told me white was making a comeback because of several dating-type "reality" television shows that featured white grands. I think he may have been somewhat optimistic in that assessment, however. I also recall seeing a truly hideous white concert grand trimmed in gold on a Praise The Lord television ministry show some years back. I don't really watch television these days, but I hope that one has since been replaced.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

TX-Dennis #1188073 04/27/09 12:19 AM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
comogo Guy wrote: "The worst part is the dealers are marking up the price around 25% to order a white piano from the factory. I understand shipping will be more but this seem excessive.

"Any thoughts?"

Looking it up in this year's Fine I see en ebony polish K3 listed at 7190 and a white K3 at 7590. That makes the cost for the white $400 more than the ebony, about 14.8%. That is the Larry price before any negotiations or trade-ins are considered.I think you're still in the ballpark, financially.

It's not the way I chose my piano. Personally I prefer dark woodgrain, but I got the instrument that sounded and played the best to me by not ordering the 4000 finish and used the money to buy the best instrument I could for it.

I don't see you talking about that part of the process, but I hope you are doing it--- if you are one of those people who has to have an instrument that sings to you, and that you love to touch, just to hear it speak. That feels just right to your hands. The one that says, "I want to go home with you!"

But it may not be like that, maybe someone else in your family plays once in a while, but most of the time you have to look at it--- we never know around here.

So just think: would a better instrument make you change colors? Or would a white paint job make you buy an inferior piano because it was white? Or maybe you'll pay a little more and get a white piano that is an acceptable instrument, the wife will be happy, and the drama will be over.

Or will it?

Clef

Jeff Clef #1188111 04/27/09 03:36 AM
I
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I
Like it's been already said, i would use the resale lesser value to my advantage. Find a used white piano that you like, and i'm sure it'll be cheaper than a black equivalent, as opposed to buying new.

izaldu #1188347 04/27/09 12:30 PM
C
cmoguy Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Since it has been brought up a few times I would like to respond to the color vs quality issue.

Quality is the most important issue we are considering when choosing our new piano, however for us it does not make sense for that to be the only factor. A new 52" Schimmel Koncert would perform better than a U1 or K3 but I am sure everybody agrees it would not perform five or six times better which is how much more it would cost. We considered the U3 and K8 however we are casual players and my wife is already upset we are spending as much as we are (she would be happy with a K2).

With that being said, I'm sure my wife would rather have a white K2 than a black K3 but luckily I am the voice of reason =)

cmoguy #1188364 04/27/09 12:45 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The colour of a piano affects its perceived quality. White just looks cheap.

cmoguy #1188427 04/27/09 01:46 PM
I played a white piano once and I found it very disorientating. The white keys just seemed to go into infinity.

Mocheol #1188437 04/27/09 02:05 PM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
When I think "white" piano I see a southern mansion circa 1894 and a large spiral staircase.

Lisztiana #1188438 04/27/09 02:12 PM
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Cmoguy--You seem to have a real handle on the negotiations between a pianist and spouse! You're definitely doing the right thing to try to make both of you happy. When we bought a new piano recently, I found the one I wanted and let my husband decide if it was worth the extra money to get a finish he liked. After looking at them all, he decided it wasn't.

I think you'll get used to whatever color you get. A U1 is a great piano, regardless of color. You may have a few people who see the piano and think it's not a "serious" one, but its your opinion that matters. I bet there are people who come into a house with a Bosendorfer and ask the owner why they didn't get a Steinway.

I'm not a fan of white pianos, but I do have to agree that it might look better in a Florida-y house. I wonder if the dealers near you know anyone who has bought a white piano--maybe they'd want to sell it, or maybe they could reassure you that it looks great in the house and you won't be sorry.

Nancy

Estonia 168
Mocheol #1188446 04/27/09 02:27 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mocheol
The colour of a piano affects its perceived quality. White just looks cheap.

We got it, we got it. You don't like white pianos. Fine. I don't like black ones myself. So what? The guy wants a white piano, let him acquire one in peace!

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good
Zormpas #1188530 04/27/09 04:35 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Wow! This thread has taken on a life of it's own, hasn't it? smile

Zormpas - I'm with you! Except - his Wife wants the white piano. If he (they) acquires one, there will be peace...

smile

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

M.O.P. #1188539 04/27/09 04:45 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
White is the colour of peace,but its also the colour of the plague.
I suppose after the plague when everybody has died there would be peace allright.

Mocheol #1188605 04/27/09 06:50 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
What???

Buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it.
Will Rogers

[Linked Image]
Starting Over #1188612 04/27/09 06:55 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Starting over.
yes indeedy,
White often symbolizes death and the plague in medieval art.
Its also the colur of purity[ when used sparingly].

Mocheol #1189025 04/28/09 10:46 AM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
hahahaha! You guys are making wayyyy too much of this! laugh

She wants a white piano - let her have one.

Just as a side note, we've had clients in the past who have had their pianos custom finished in an unusual color (non-standard), they don't play any differently, but they sure do look different. I would agree that could be an issue down the road if they wanted to resell or trade, but to each his own.

Dare I open up the potential can of worms of comments on a "red" piano color and a well known artist? ha Maybe that will take a little heat off the lady who wants a white piano...

Nancy Fanzlaw
Seamstress for the Band

www.FortePianoGallery.com
Forte' on Facebook

"The piano was God's gift to music." Lou Mason

M.O.P. #1189192 04/28/09 02:36 PM
W
W
I've recently gone through the same sort of issue. We settled on which piano we wanted and then I asked my wife if black was ok. Naturally, the answer was no. So, we spent a bunch extra to get the Mahogany finish.

I was told by some that I was nuts: the resale value would go down.

But, strangely, I'm not buying this piano to sell it! I'm buying it because it's what we want. And, hopefully, we'll be able to keep this piano for many, many, many years. And the extra expense will be worth my wife's happiness on each and every day.

If your wife is absolutely sure she wants white, get the white piano, regardless of the resale price. If you can afford to get something that pleases your wife, and that you can live with, I fail to see the downside!

willisbeatwilt #1189269 04/28/09 04:23 PM
Hi all,...

Any ties between color and anything else are all driven by marketing. If every piano maker decided to stop making black pianos and start making only white pianos today,... then I'm sure in a few years Black piano will become 'taboo' because everyone will have white pianos and the sales people will find a way to sell the merit of having white pianos over black.

Apple sure has done quite well with the color of the plague,... I don't see many people custom ordering black MACs smile

Regards,

Robert

Mason & Hamlin - A - 92514
Roland A-90 EX
"When you fall down,... pick up something!"
Robert H #1189288 04/28/09 04:48 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Robert H
Apple sure has done quite well with the color of the plague,... I don't see many people custom ordering black MACs smile

Perhaps not the best example. When Apple was selling both black and white macbooks, the black model was the "premium" model. Note also that the only white computers you can buy from Apple right now are the cheapest models.

As for white and the plague, consider also that white is the color of death in several Asian cultures.

Back on topic, to the OP, does your wife want white because she likes the concept of a white piano, or that she doesn't like the look of a black piano, and/or is she actually considering the decor when thinking about the color (vs simply the color the piano).

One last thing, it seems to me that I've personally seen various white grand pianos, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen a white upright before (in person). I'm assuming that white uprights are even rarer than white grands?

bitWrangler #1189333 04/28/09 06:01 PM
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
I thought that being in South Florida white pianos would be the norm? in a hot sunny climate?

Bob Newbie #1189517 04/28/09 10:53 PM
Darn bitWrangler,...

You caught me! I'm a PC!! smile

But I did remember when I was in elementary school that the Apple logo used to be quite colorful,... and I really can't remember any specific image that resonates with that logo,...

Nowadays,... it's all white and for some reason if you ask me what color I would associate with Apple,... it's white,... and even though I'm not a user,... Apple's white color never brings up the image of the plague, death, low quality, or cheap,... more clean, beautiful designs, and expensive/overpriced to me,...

I think it's marketing in action smile

Getting back to pianos,... I actually like white pianos,... I encountered and considered a couple of white Young Chang PG pianos when I was shopping here in the midwest,... but my wife doesn't like white so I was veto-ed and we decided on a black one.

I wouldn't be surprised though,... if sometime in the future a tipping point will occur where black pianos will be associated with the older generations and white or multi-color pianos will be associated with the young and hip,... smile

Regards,

Robert

Mason & Hamlin - A - 92514
Roland A-90 EX
"When you fall down,... pick up something!"
Robert H #1189549 04/29/09 12:15 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Holy Goddess Mother! Now we're discussing the color of Mac computers! Yes, and high end photography lenses are usually white. What does that have to do with the price of beans?

One more time. Who shives a git. If you listen to sales droids and marketroids you'll never want for copious quantities of steaming steer stool - like the 10,000 reasons I always hear from car salesmen why I really want an automatic transmission rather than the stick shift I'm asking for and that they don't stock...

Myself, I'd take a natural woodgrain over white, and white or just about anything over black - and that has nothing whatsoever to do with the price of beans either! This said, I've seen some black pianos I wouldn't mind owning - even if I'd be hard pressed to not reach for the rattle can white, cream, or whatever...

-Zorba
"The Veiled Male"
http://www.doubleveil.net
1918 Hobart M. Cable "H"
"No-one would knowingly provide Franz Liszt with a mediocre piano." -E. M. Good
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New - Hammond SK-Pro organ & synth (SK1 upgrade)
by Doug M. - 01/15/21 01:09 PM
New Korg announcements in a few days...
by clothearednincompo - 01/15/21 12:17 PM
Estonia 190
by Walkman - 01/15/21 12:02 PM
My 'Gentle' and 'quieter' tuning technique
by Beemer - 01/15/21 10:46 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,265
Posts3,046,950
Members100,063
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission