2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
66 members (Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, brennbaer, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 9 invisible), 1,706 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gerry Armstrong
It is also very frustrating to have piles of music around the house and not to be able to noodle my way through various pieces, even slowly, just to see what I might like to select to work on. That has proved to be very de-motivating in the past as you want to play something when you sit at the Piano so you end up playing the few pieces you've learned over and over again as it's so difficult and time consuming to learn new pieces, and that gets boring so you end up not sitting at the Piano at all.

You're describing me exactly! Exactly!

Last edited by sleepingcats; 04/26/09 01:48 AM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Scruffies
I have the opposite problem from Gary D's. That is, I am a poor reader but a good play by ear player.

I think you are drawing the wrong conclusion. Before I pulled away from public performance altogether at about age 30, I performed long programs in public, entirely from memory, and my memory was rock solid.

The point was that I did not have to memorize in order to play many things well. Not that I couldn't.

While there are some very lucky people who have trick memories (they seem to memorize anything instantly because, among other things, they have photographic memory and may be reading the score, but in their head), most people find memorizing purely for the sake of memorization to be an added step IF they read very, very well.

However, while teaching students things that they want to learn and I've never seen or heard before, I demonstrate how I can use the same techniques I'm teaching them to learn the music faster to memorize the music while watching them, without touching the keyboard myself.

There is a huge difference between not having to memorize in order to play something well and not being able to.

The point is that people who read very poorly have no choice but to memorize anything they want to sound good. Otherwise it is painfully slow, full of holes, stumbles, and so on.

Y
Y
Originally Posted by buck2202

Unless you're an accompanist and regularly need to perform works at first viewing, when a person says that they want to "sight-read," they usually just mean that they want to read music with less difficulty, so that they can concentrate more readily on dynamics, interpretation, phrasing, or memorization. For this class of sight-reading, the most frequent advice is to play many, many pieces that aren't at the top of their technical ability. That is, practice practice practice. It's never, never a waste to work on any of the skills that make up a good pianist, and if you're able to specifically practice sight-reading without getting bored, good for you!

This is interesting, I in many occasions have been a accompanist, most of the time it's pretty easy to sightread, but sometimes it's damn near impossible especially when there are rhythmically complex phrases with complex voicings and counter melodies in the bass clef at first sight with no fake chords. It happened to me last week, and it wasn't fun. It's like the arranger had a personal vendetta against me. From an accompanist stand point, what materials would be best for sight reading? I imagine there are beginners taking piano lessons that want to accompany someone

Last edited by YadielOmar; 04/26/09 02:37 AM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gary D.
Sight-reading at its most challenging is playing something you've never seen or heard before.

The problem is that most people think this is totally different from reading music, in general, but it really isn't.

It's just a matter of degree.

+1

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,244
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission