2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,272 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1186547 04/24/09 02:23 PM
OP Offline
Is there anyone here who would be kind enough to offer a recommendation to me for a portable keyboard?

I am a new player,about 6 months, I cant afford a real piano.

I have 240.00 to spend.

I like the yammaha's from the descriptions, but I cannot go look at them(housebound). What do you think?

OO also who to trust? Is musicians friend ok?
How about Musiciansbuy.com?

I hope its ok to ask these questions here. If not, I apologize.

Last edited by Slowbiefatwanna; 04/24/09 02:27 PM.

"There is a fine line between Love and Hate and your erasing it"(Bea Arthur to her TV husband in maude)
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
My only recommendation is that you get a full sized keyboard with weighted keys. I have a Casio PX-110 that's a little above your price range but plays (I think) very well for the price. You might also have a look at the Digital Pianos-Synths and Keyboards forum as this question comes up pretty often there.

Good luck!

Greg
OP Offline
Thanks for the info, I am headed to that forum now.

"There is a fine line between Love and Hate and your erasing it"(Bea Arthur to her TV husband in maude)
M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
I second the recommendation for the Casio PX-120. You can get it for about $500, and it is the instrument you are learning. You are not learning keyboard, you are learning piano. They are two different things, and if you spend $240 on a keyboard now, you will only become frustrated to the point of quitting, or buying a real piano 6 months down the road. Not to mention the fact that it will impair your progress! Save yourself the time an aggravation - piano is difficult enough as it is! - and get an instrument that will last you years to come. For those students of mine who require a digital piano, the Casio PX-120 had been great, and they really enjoy it. smile

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
A
Azk Offline
A
You should check amazon once in a while since I was able to pick up a px120 for 400 dollars last week. Dont know if it was a "while supplies last" type of deal, but I thought it was a bargain.

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Originally Posted by Slowbiefatwanna
... offer a recommendation to me for a portable keyboard? ... I have 240.00 to spend.

I have to agree with Morodiene. You can't play piano on a $240 unit. Those are toys.

However long it took you to save $240, continue to save for that long and more. Expect to spend at least $600. Even that doesn't buy much, but at least it keeps you out of the toy category.

Per the recommendation of the people on here I bought a PX120 to learn on. Feels great, all my friends say the feel is really good, too. Guitar Center is running a package deal, with a stand and bench for something like $550.

But don't judge the quality of the sound based on the built-in speakers. They suck. Terrible. Bad. Terribad. They'll suck on anything in this price-range I'm pretty sure. Sounds amazing in decent headphones or if you had your own external speakers, however.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission