2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
49 members (36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 5 invisible), 1,303 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
OP Offline
T
I received the serial number from the seller for this piano, but can't seem to find it. it should be approx. 12-13 years old. Does anyone know where I can find the lists online? Bluebook's site is confusing me. Their last listing for Baldwin is 1996-316000, but the serial # I am looking for is 395099. I know the piano was built before 1996, as the owners have had it for 10 years and it was at least 2-3 years old already when they purchased it. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
think_pos:

According to the Pierce Piano Atlas that serial number is among those Hamilton pianos manufactured in 1981. That would make it 26 years old.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
abg Offline
I was afraid of that. Never ask a piano its age.

Musical amateur with no professional pretensions or affiliations
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
395...is 1985, under Hamilton piano in pierce atlas 395.... under Baldwin is near year 2000+
As I had mentioned in your previous forum topic there is a big difference between a Baldwin and product of Baldwin. There is a well known model an industry standard that everyone knows as a Baldwin Hamilton(45" studio uprt.) and then their is the lesser quality piano brand Hamilton piano which is a product of Baldwin. Hamilton was a CEO for Baldwin
You need to make sure you get a real Baldwin Hamilton.I thought that $1500 price was kinda low. Many people think they have a real Baldwin because it said product of Baldwin on the harp. I've wasted much time and gas going to see a used grand piano that the owners represnted to be a Baldwin. The just didn't know

baldwin

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Largest selection in the USA
100+Steinway and M&H grands
Warehouse showroom Onsite Restoration
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z8RvhXGKzY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Voo0zumHGgE
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Next time I'll put on my glasses before opening Pierce.

With apologies for my previously posted incorrect information, Hamilton 395099 is, indeed, 1985 manufacture. I just wish I could cut four years off my age by incorrectly reading my birth certificate!

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
T
OP Offline
T
As a piano neophyte, I am really confused. How can you tell which is a Baldwin Hamilton and which is a Hamilton whatever?
The piano I am looking at has the Baldwin logo in the middle above the keys and the word "Hamilton" all the way to the right.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Looks to be a real Baldwin Hamilton But the serial # does'nt jive. Look at the plate and see if said product of Baldwin and measure it. It has to be 45" tall. I can research it later for you I'm not in my office today

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Pianobroker.
When I get a chance to see it in person (hopefully in the coming week), I will look for those things. Right now I've only seen pictures of the piano. I'm wondering if the owner is mistakenly giving me another number he found inside the piano instead of the actual serial #. This would explain the inconsistencies of the logo and of the manufacture date. He has owned the piano for approx. 10 years and bought it used from a dealer here in town. Before that, the dealer told him that it was purchased new by a woman who kept it for only 2-3 years before she traded up for a grand. Can you give me the serial number range for 1990-1995 when you have a chance? By the way, I think the price is low because he was trying to sell it on ebay quickly and easily. He is well aware that a dealer would sell it for more, but I think he just wants to see it gone.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally posted by think_pos:
As a piano neophyte, I am really confused. How can you tell which is a Baldwin Hamilton and which is a Hamilton whatever?
The piano I am looking at has the Baldwin logo in the middle above the keys and the word "Hamilton" all the way to the right.
that means it's the good one.

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
Originally posted by pianobroker:
395...is 1985, under Hamilton piano in pierce atlas 395.... under Baldwin is near year 2000+
As I had mentioned in your previous forum topic there is a big difference between a Baldwin and product of Baldwin. There is a well known model an industry standard that everyone knows as a Baldwin Hamilton(45" studio uprt.) and then their is the lesser quality piano brand Hamilton piano which is a product of Baldwin. Hamilton was a CEO for Baldwin
You need to make sure you get a real Baldwin Hamilton.I thought that $1500 price was kinda low. Many people think they have a real Baldwin because it said product of Baldwin on the harp. I've wasted much time and gas going to see a used grand piano that the owners represnted to be a Baldwin. The just didn't know

baldwin

Until Next Time
Industry veteran of 37 years.
The model in question is either a 243 or 243 HP which can be found on the bass end, on a sticker on the back at the pin block level with model and serial number on it.

For the record, I am not certain that Hamilton was a CEO. I am certain that D H Baldwin was a music supervisor in Cincinnati Ohio, who's name was Dwight Hamilton Baldwin.

Until Next Time
T
OP Offline
T
It has furniture styling--in another post Pianobroker indicated that this would make it a 6000 series version of the 243. Would this make any difference in the placement/designation of the serial number? (Please forgive if this is a stupid question!)

No, all Baldwin Verticals (Pre-Gibson) had a paper sticker on the back at the pinblock level that identified the Model and serial #.

Until Next Time
As a point of clarification, the serial number indicates it was built in 1985, making it 22 years old; not too sigificant for a good quality upright piano. The serial numbers of the Hamilton studio pianos were in a different sequence than the other Baldwin verticals of that era; hence the confusion between the two dates in the Pierce atlas. This appears to be a decorator model 245 or 246, with a fancier cabinet than the 243 studion model that everyone remembers. Later on, when Del Fandrich came to Baldwin, the 243HP was introduced in 1988, that reflected some upgrades that Del initiated. The decorator versions of this scale were the 5000 series, currently the 5050 models.

None of these instruments should be confused with the current Hamilton branded pianos that Baldwin is importing from ASC in China. The imports have the Hamilton logo in the center of the fallboard and the real Baldwins (made in Arkansas) have the Baldwin logo centered on the fallboard and Hamilton on the far right side.

Craig Smith
General Manager
Kansas City Piano

www.kansascitypiano.com
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I think Piano Peddler is dead on. Excuse my typo when I typed 6000 instead of 5000.The 6000 series is the Baldwin 52" uprt.

www.pastperfectpiano.com
Preowned & Restored
Hailun dlr.818-255-3145
C
C
Hi everyone. I am buying a baldwin hamilton too. the serial number is 391701. beautiful sound and the are asking for 1900/ what do you guys think? is it worth it? or should be less?
I really love the touch and the sound of the piano. I just want to confirm that the price is correct or maybe I can ask for less.

thanks

C
C
Hi everyone! I am buying a baldwin hamilton with serial 391701. the owner is asking 1900. I do not know if this is the right price. I really like the sound of the piano. the touch and everything! I just want to confirm that the piano is worth that amount of money.

thanks!!

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Hi carojazz, and welcome to piano world!

I don't know much about Baldwin Hamiltons, but I have heard they are nice pianos, and are built solidly. Depending on the condition, It might be a good deal, could try to negotiate a bit lower, 1770 maybe. And if you love it, go for it!!

Best of luck,

Last edited by Rotom; 06/13/11 10:06 AM.

1942 Baldwin M
S
S
Originally Posted by Rotom
Hi carojazz, and welcome to piano world!

I don't know much about Baldwin Hamiltons, but I have heard they are nice pianos, and are built solidly. Depending on the condition, It might be a good deal, could try to negotiate a bit lower, 1770 maybe. And if you love it, go for it!!

Best of luck,

Tom,

I'm just curious. What is your basis for the $1770 offer suggestion?

Piano Industry Consultant

Co-author (with Larry Fine) of Practical Piano Valuation
www.jasonsmc@msn.com

Contributing Editor & Consultant - Acoustic & Digital Piano Buyer

Retired owned of Jasons Music Center
Maryland/DC/No. VA
Family Owned and Operated Since 1937.

E
E
Hamilton prices vary a lot depending on condition. Your SN shows as a 1984 build. $1900 is kind of high for a 27 yr old Hamilton. It should be in very excellent condx to justify that price. Check the internals to see if all is in order.

That said, I really like my 1953 Hammy. I asked my tuner/tech about getting a newer upright and he said mine had an action and tone that was as good or better than any later uprights and that I would not see an improvement unless I bought a grand.

Ed (Out in the West Texas town of El Paso)
Yamaha P255
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission