2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Hello,
I have been teaching for many years and have never played at my students' recitals (the ones I host for them). My teachers never performed at mine when I was a student, either. I am hearing that these days it's the thing to do, for us to play at our students' recitals. Do you do this?
A couple of parents are bugging me to "play something" at their kids' recitals. Is this appropriate?
Thanks everyone!

Piano Teacher
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
nope, I will not.

I will do a duet occasionally, but I do not play solos at them.

I will play for the kids at their lessons if they want, but I don't feel it's appropriate to play at my student's recitals. That's their day to shine.

JMHO

It is better to be kind than to be right.

Professional private piano teacher since 1994.
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Wow, I so agree with you! I don't feel comfortable playing at my students' recital AT ALL. The odd thing is, these same parents keep asking me over and over if I will please play something, to "motivate" the kids. Ugh. I have said no every time. At our last recital, which was a Christmas music program, I did play a little bit AFTER the formal recital ended. Folks were having refreshments, milling around the piano, etc. and a couple of kids asked me to play so I did, but it was very discreet.
Thanks for your input.
Do parents ever ask you to play and if so, what do you tell them?

Piano Teacher
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I have been to one recital where the teacher performed. In this case, it was a recital of only the teacher's adult students. The teacher played the first piece, to 'break the ice'. When she was speaking before she played, the language she used made it clear that she was intending this event to be a mutual sharing, rather than an anxiety-inducing formal occasion to 'perform'.

I assumed at the time this was in response to reservations from some of her adult students to playing in a traditional format recital.

In this case it worked very well. Some people got up after the 'quasi-formal' part and played their pieces again (if they felt they could do better) or played other pieces. It was in a piano store recital hall so there was a certain amount of milling about and trying out pianos individually and in small groups after.

I do go see my teacher perform, but she's a DMA student and I go to her recitals (actually her last one was last Sunday so I guess I won't do that anymore!) and New Music concerts...

Adult Amateur Pianist

My only domestic quality is that I live in a house.
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
Thanks for this input. The few parents who are asking me to play had a former teacher for their kids. Apparently, she played "several" pieces at the close of her students' recitals. (?)
So in telling folks I don't want to play because "this is for the kids", I don't want to criticize the former teacher's way of doing things.

Piano Teacher
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Barb, if you get a chance, do a search on this topic. There have been some "heavy" discussions on the pros and cons of playing. I do not, as I find it egoistical and intrusive, but others see it exactly the other way around.

"Those who dare to teach must never cease to learn." -- Richard Henry Dann
Full-time Private Piano Teacher offering Piano Lessons in Olympia, WA. www.mypianoteacher.com
Certified by the American College of Musicians; member NGPT, MTNA, WSMTA, OMTA
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Yes, I do perform at the end of my studio recitals. I use the opportunity to inspire my students and to show them that I'm human, too. I do not aim for a perfect performance. Instead, I use these performances to convey feelings, to make artistic expressions, to play from the heart. I don't want a studio full of robots.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
B
Barb860 Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
B
John and AZN, thank you for your input. So I'm learning that this issue of teachers playing at their students' recitals is really a personal thing. If I decide to play, I will have to be confident in my decision and not worry about offending anyone who might think I have some sort of an ego issue.
I would play for 2 reasons: 1. some parents have been bugging me to do it for years and 2. to just share something, maybe a subtle Chopin piece, not flashy, from the heart.
And if I do play for this recital, it doesn't mean I would do so every time. I have hosted many recitals and have never played at any of them.
Thanks again.

Piano Teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Sorry for intruding as I am not a teacher, but I always wished my teacher would have played at our recitals. I respected him very much and did not in any way hold it against him, but, I thought it would have been nice to hear a live performance by someone more talented than I am. This was of course before my days of being able to afford concert tickets, or even before having a driver's license. smile

Just play an appropriate piece. I once saw a teacher of younger students (6-10 years) who played Chopin's G minor Ballade at the end of her student recital. Nice performance, but I think a bit over everyone's head.

Daniel

Currently working on:
-Poulenc Trois pièces
-Liszt Harmonies du Soir
-Bach/Brahms Chaconne for Left Hand

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission