2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
In my opinion, two chords do NOT make a rich, full sound.
Betty Patnude

I didn't realize there had to be a minimum number of chords to produce a rich sound, especially with New Age. Einaudi's "I Due Fiumi" uses 3 chords, varying between closed and open position. Even with 2 of the 3 chords, I think it would still have a great sound - for example a looping I-IV or I-V.

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Betty,

The whole point of my post was to illustrate a "technique." It wasn't to create a masterpiece or give what you call progressive instruction.

The ostinato technique is used in all genres and is an easy way for the beginning student to start improvising.

Many of my own students love it because it helps them quickly "dive in" to music making without having to note read.

That being said, why don't you tool around your own voluminous collection of creative work and offer somthing here instead of criticizing those who do. Wait. That's right. You don't have anything original to offer do you?

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by btcomm
The hostility towards Eweiss is beyond me. People, get a life. Play piano --- be happy!

Exactly. Couldn't have said it better.

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Surendipity
Ah.. I love that song. I can hear it now in my head.

Pick 3 notes in the left hand, any notes you can reach at the same time. DO NOT CHANGE THEM!!!!
Pick 3 notes in the right hand. DO NOT CHANGE THEM!!!!

Play all of them together. Mix them up. Do anything to them.
Go crazy..... It'll always sound good.

Serendipity, I think you've got it. Now if you actually try doing this, you might have some fun!

B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
From Ed to Betty:

"That being said, why don't you tool around your own voluminous collection of creative work and offer somthing here instead of criticizing those who do. Wait. That's right. You don't have anything original to offer do you?"

I don't know, Ed, who would be the judge of that?

What makes you think I'm criticizing you? I'm commenting. I just think you set the target very low for easy entry into playing something, anything, and to be happy forever after with that much. That is the picture I'm getting of you from all that you say about yourself.

I do see myself as progressive, by the way. Kids get in a year and a half to two years what some kids take 4 or more to get, and there are some who never get what these little achievers eagerly do at piano lessons. I think expectations of our students help them gain confidence in what they will be able to do in the future. Everything isn't geared to the present, just like everything isn't in our future, be need to create enthusiasm and excitement about music, I think. I know the results I get. It speaks for itself.

Ed, don't you get tired of finding fault with me?

You're merry enough, go on your merry way earning the great living you are making. Money has never been my objective - selling is not part of my package - I give music education services in an enrolled tuition program - that's my livelihood and my passion

There's room for all of us as most of us find our customers and clients or they find us. Our reputations are what we earn along with the living style our wages buy for us. We're different people - different in musical pursuit and interests,too, I'm sure - everyone could claim they are different - and should.

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Dec 31 2012
I'm currently working on some pieces by Alessandra Celletti from her Golden Fly Suite. Golden Fly #4 has two, and only two, chords, and it is beautiful in its simplicity. It is also proving to be a difficult piece to play well... the trick to making it sound musical is to play delicately and bring the voice of the melody line out over the bass pattern. There is an ethereal beauty to the piece that is mesmerizing. heart

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
ewiss,

I have to agree with Betty here somewhat.. whenever you post performance or teaching material on a forum, you are subject people's constructive criticisms.. and you can't expect everyone to tell you that it's great. Most of these criticism are well-intended and people are just trying to help you.

Perhaps it may help to describe in the post what kind of people this lesson is meant for. I am guessing your lessons are meant for adults who are absolute beginners and they don't know anything about the piano. Most people here in the forum have some kind of experience and this lesson might not be relevent for us. I guess that's part of the reason I was curious about your intention to post this.

Betty Pantude,

"I just think you set the target very low for easy entry into playing something, anything, and to be happy forever after with that much. That is the picture I'm getting of you from all that you say about yourself. "

For some adults that's all they need.. and is there anything wrong with that as long as that person is happy? Besides, most adults will probably move on after couple weeks of doing stuff like this.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Betty Patnude makes some good points and I especially like this one:

"I think expectations of our students help them gain confidence in what they will be able to do in the future. Everything isn't geared to the present, just like everything isn't in our future, be need to create enthusiasm and excitement about music..."

I agree with these ideals. However, I think that ideals are not always practical. As a piano teacher I know that many adult students expect instant gratification and I have to find ways of satisfying that, even when I feel it's not the best thing for their growth as a pianist. Without some easy instant gratification each week they wont keep comning back and paying me money so I can make a living. The majority basicly just want to have fun, it's a a hobby and they don't really take it very seriously... they are too lazy or lack the self disiplne to make the effort to achive higher levels, it's not easy... Do I make sense???

T
Tar Offline
T
Originally Posted by Betty Patnude
"If I Were A Rich Man" from "Fiddler on the Roof", is a two chord song, but you never notice it because it's so captivating with the story and the rhythm of the words, and the chromaticism of the melody, it's liveliness and attribution to both Broadway and the movies, the costuming, the village, holds your attention. It's such an emotive piece.

Not the same sort of music, but the second half of Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 is made up of about 90% I-V progression. Again, it's the articulate and rhythmic musical passages so full of energy and a characteristic harmony that altogether keep that section going for 6 minutes (or 4 if you're a crazily brilliant pianist wink ) and you're still left asking for more!

Last edited by Tar; 04/19/09 07:01 AM.

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit
Y
Y
Good concepts, but there's no real structure. Yes I agree with your argument on creativity, but a person cannot apply what they don't know. Victor Woolten said once; Music is a language, languages were created to communicate a message or thought, therefore when you play there has to be a message behind the music. If music is a language, you need vocabulary. Honestly, your example didn't really say anything, it was like a hick trying to say something smart to a group of aristocrats and failing (no offense). For a person teaching creativity, that wasn't very creative, also at the end you messed up a couple of notes. Some good ideas, but it came out as boring and amateurish. And lamentably that might cost you the success of your product. Also, some of your comments were very defensive, that kind of made you come of as a snob, some humility goes a long way. Wish you success on your endeavors

just buy an ad

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
although what YadielOmar says may sound rude, musicians get these kind of criticisms all the time... piano lessons can be much more brutal than this, but people participate knowing that the teachers are just trying to help you.

I don't have problem with people posting or their music/lessons like this, but if you can't handle criticisms perhaps you should not post videos like this. You can't expect everyone to shower you with compliments, esp since to most pianists will find these material seems very very basic, and this lesson appeals to very limited amount of people. That's why I thought it was important to be clear that this is meant for beginners.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Looks like it became open-season on Eweiss during my tenure in the pianist section! frown

Y
Y
He has some good ideas, but there not worth paying for, when you can see some really informative videos for free. And from a teachers stand point, he's are going to have a lot of learning gaps (I don't know if that's the correct term) if the lessons are geared more towards creativity then focus on harmonic and melodic colors in a way that the student can express artistically what they want, if that's what your goal is. I'm with etcetra, it's a very limited market to be milking

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by YadielOmar
Good concepts, but there's no real structure. Yes I agree with your argument on creativity, but a person cannot apply what they don't know. Victor Woolten said once; Music is a language, languages were created to communicate a message or thought, therefore when you play there has to be a message behind the music. If music is a language, you need vocabulary. Honestly, your example didn't really say anything, it was like a hick trying to say something smart to a group of aristocrats and failing (no offense). For a person teaching creativity, that wasn't very creative, also at the end you messed up a couple of notes. Some good ideas, but it came out as boring and amateurish. And lamentably that might cost you the success of your product. Also, some of your comments were very defensive, that kind of made you come of as a snob, some humility goes a long way. Wish you success on your endeavors

Yadie,

If you took some time to read my post, this lesson is illustrating a technique. It illustrates how to take a simple ostinato pattern and improvise over it. As far as being defensive, I have nothing to defend. I only respond when I think comments are inaccurate or simply off point.

For example, you said the music didn't say anything. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I have to disagree of course.

I suppose you equate "creative" with "sophisticated" as do most.

Creativity has nothing to do with sophisitcation. In fact, it's the opposite way around. As far as me making "mistakes," that's part of the package. In fact, I love making mistakes. It shows my students that the making of music is far more important than "getting it right."

Of course, if I wanted to polish it up I could. But why waste time?

Last edited by eweiss; 04/22/09 12:15 AM. Reason: spelling
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by etcetra
I don't have problem with people posting or their music/lessons like this, but if you can't handle criticisms perhaps you should not post videos like this. You can't expect everyone to shower you with compliments, esp since to most pianists will find these material seems very very basic, and this lesson appeals to very limited amount of people. That's why I thought it was important to be clear that this is meant for beginners.

I'm glad you don't have a problem with it.

eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jazz+
The majority basicly just want to have fun, it's a a hobby and they don't really take it very seriously... they are too lazy or lack the self disiplne to make the effort to achive higher levels, it's not easy... Do I make sense???

Should they take it seriously? Or is having fun more important? I think the latter. As far as self-discipline goes, students will progress and be motivated far more by passion than rote exercises set by many teachers.

Many of my students are able to finally sit down at the piano and play what they feel without sheet music or lead sheets. They rely on intuition and some guidance. Is the goal to create the next Beethoven? Of course not. But at least they are, for a brief time period, one with the music. smile

Y
Y
Not really, when I mean creativity I'm only talking about creativity... sophistication is a different ballgame. Creativity is derived from the word create ( to produce through imaginative skill; to make or bring into existence something new) to bring to existence something new I need to understand what has preceded my future creation. Also you speak of your students being one with the music, to be one with something you must internalize it, and you can't internalize something you don't fully understand. You have to at least have a basic grasp of what is music, not saying 5 years of classical study, just know the definition of music... You do know the definition of the word music, do you? BTW

"I suppose you equate "creative" with "sophisticated" as do most."

In retrospect to coming of as a snob, case and point.

Y
Y
Also, as etcetra stated there is not much of a market for what your selling, now if you broaden your horizons and cover more tangible material while fomenting creativity then that will be the birth of something worth paying for.

Last edited by YadielOmar; 04/22/09 02:17 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
I don't think that there is not much of a market, there are plenty of "learn to play the piano today" kind of stuff out there, and they sell well, if you target it to the right audience. The problem is that most people here have experience on the piano already so its not that helpful. I think most pianists here have noodled around and played simple improv pieces before... i remember doing stuff like this as a high school student and it can be a lot of fun.

I've met a lot of people who were interested in learning piano, and frankly i would rather have some of them learn what ewiss is showing here rather the putting them through some classical/jazz regimen.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission