2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Piano World Founder - Piano Tuner - Pianist
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
If you enjoy attending performances by top notch musicians, check out concert pianist Jeffrey Biegel's (www.JeffreyBiegel.com) upcoming concerts in Colorado Springs, CO the 18th and 19th. If you aren't familiar with Jeffrey, visit his web site, read his bio, and listen to some samples.

Jeffrey is a member of our Piano Forums.

Join Me ...

April 18-19/2009 – Colorado Springs Philharmonic – Keith Emerson Piano Concerto and Leroy Anderson Piano Concerto - Jeffrey Biegel, Pianist

Also... Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, and Mozart's Overture to "The Magic Flute"

I've heard/seen Jeffrey play the Leroy Anderson (with the Hartford Symphony), and heard Keith Emerson play his own concerto. But I haven't seen/heard Jeffrey play Keith's concerto.
Rumor has it Keith will be there too. I'm planning on attending both nights, partially because I so enjoy Jeffrey's virtuoso performances, and partly because I'm a BIG fan of Emerson's.

If anyone else is planning on going, please let me know.
I've never been to Colorado, looking forward to the concert, and the visit.

[Linked Image]

You can also read my report on Jeffrey's April 3rd concert with the FSU Symphony ...
Review

Or for a treat, see/hear this YouTube video of Jeffrey playing Prokofiev's Piano Concerto no. 3 in a 2005 live concert with the South Shore Symphony conducted by Scott Jackson Wiley

And for some more fun, check out Keith Emerson's improvisations here...

- Frank B.
Original Founder of Piano World
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
-------------------------
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

Me banging out some tunes in the Estonia piano booth at the NAMM show...

It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Oh, wow, not sure if I'll be able to get it together for this but I've always been a Keith Emerson fan! And Colorado Spgs ain't that far from Denver. smile

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I hope you can make it Kenny, should be an interesting concert.

I'm re-reading Keith's book, interesting life he's led.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Roland RD88, Yamaha P-80, Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 other digital pianos
My original piece on BandCamp: https://frankbaxtermrpianoworld.bandcamp.com/releases

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Frank,

I'd suggest you keep up to date with the weather forecasts and also the airline you are flying in on. There is a potentially serious storm that will be hitting Colorado late tonight through Saturday.

Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Rich,

I also realized I don't have any "winter" clothes.
Going tomorrow to look for an lined overcoat, not a normal request in southern Florida :-)

I've reserved a rental car in CO, maybe I should switch it to an SUV.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Colorado springs is supposed to be in the 50's on Sunday, so pack for that as well. wink Typical Colorado weather in April.

If you are flying into Denver, I strongly suggest the SUV. The Parker Divide (a ridge of hills above 6000 feet) is between Denver and Colorado Springs. This usually gets hit pretty hard as it's higher than Denver.

Have a safe trip.
Rich

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Rich,

I'm flying into COS.

According to Jeffrey (Biegel, the concert pianist)...

"Hi Frank and Keith,

Only 2 to 4 inches of snow on Friday--mixed with rain--clearing on saturday, 58
degrees. Thank God!

-J"

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Good luck, Frank. I'm glad you're flying in to the Springs. There's been lots of flights cancelled at DIA, but I don't think in the Springs yet. But I was just reading the CS Gazette (I have family in the Springs, including my 87-year-old mother)on-line and folks have posted their latest snow pictures. I was really sorry I had commitments for this weekend and couldn't go up for this concert, but now - well, Raton Pass is still open smile but I've driven those roads in some pretty cr*ppy weather, and I'm just as glad I'm still here in Santa Fe - we only have some really wet stuff that isn't sticking on my sidewalk at the minute, tho it's covered the lilacs.

Have a great time, and I'm looking forward to the report and pictures smile

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Thanks Cathy,

I grew up north of Boston, have driven in all kinds of weather, including very deep snow.
Don't particularly like it, but not afraid of it either.

If Keith shows up (and I get to meet him and maybe spend a little time with him), and Jeffrey and the orchestra get to play, it will all be worth it.

After all, I'll be flying back to Southern Florida when it's over :-)

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Here's a link to the traffic cams in the Springs:

http://www.springsgov.com/trafficeng/

The camera that sits sort of over the C in Colorado Springs is on the north side of down town (Platte and Nevada). The streets are just wet.

I was afraid, if you were flying in to DIA, that your flight would be cancelled. Or I-25 would be closed - as Rich says, that stretch of road can get yukky. The Monument Hill web cam showed some pretty low visibility. But the Springs is fine.
So far :P

At any rate, I'm really sorry this didn't work for me, but I'm looking forward to enjoying it vicariously from your reports.

Cathy

Cathy
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
The concert was fantastic!

The Colorado Springs Philharmonic injected the power and enthusiasm the Emerson Piano Concerto requires, maestro Lawrence Leighton Smith knows how to bring a piece alive, and his orchestra is more than capable of delivering.

Jeffrey Biegel chanelled his inner Keith Emerson, bringing all the technical prowess, energy, and control one could hope for, while still imbuing the piece with his own style.

A most impressive performance, followed by an equally impressive performance of the Leroy Anderson Concerto in C for Piano and Orchestra. I love this piece, it's so accessible and fun (made all the more so by the conductor's pre-concert lecture to a packed room, Mr. Smith's enthusiasm and ability to teach us all about a piece made the lecture almost as much fun as the concert).

To all this, add that the orchestra started with Mozart's Overture to The Magic Flute , K. 620, and ended the evening with Beetoven's famous Symphony No. 5 (if you can't remember that one off the top of your head, just say ... Bum-bum-bum-baa, it will come back to you).

You couldn't ask for a better evening (well, ok, I could ask that Keith Emerson had showed up, but other than that).

The audience was buzzing during intermission. Everyone had big smiles and kept talking about how much they loved the Emerson and the Anderson.

Keith Emerson made a lot of new fans last night, although I dare say a fair number of them are basing their new found admiration on his Piano Concerto, and may not be familiar (as I am) with some of his other work :-)

And the best part?

I get to do it all again today, in a couple of hours.
There is a matinee performance at the Pikes Peak Center for the Performing Arts today (Sunday, April 19) at 2:30 ... Can't wait.

My thanks to Jeffrey Biegel for letting me tag along at the rehersal, for getting me a great seat for the performance, and for introducing me to so many wonderful people associated with the orchestra (not to mention the after concert party:-) ).

My thanks also to Maestro Smith, Suzzane (I probably spelled that wrong), Nathan Newbrough (CSO Pres./CEO) and all the other nice folks I met. Every one of them made me feel welcomed.

I may have been disappointed in not getting to meet Emerson, but the concert(s) made the trip worth the effort.

- Frank B.
Owner of...
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maine Piano Man

My Keyboards:

J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
I'm jealous.

I really am sorry I had other commitments. But - how nice for you! Thanks for the review.

Cathy

Cathy
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Glad you had a great time. Sounds wonderful!

And glad the weather was a treat as well. smile

Last edited by kennychaffin; 04/20/09 11:52 AM.

Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Print Gallery - Poetry
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission