Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
55 registered members (bennevis, Angelos58, Carebear, DazedAndConfused, cathryn999, Beowulf, beeboss, 13 invisible), 1,208 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase #1179124
04/12/09 02:58 PM
04/12/09 02:58 PM
Beautiful San Diego, CA
eweiss Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
eweiss  Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member

Beautiful San Diego, CA
I'm always telling my students to work within an 8-bar framework. Why 8-bars? Because it's a nice, neat time space to work in. And, more importantly, it doesn't overwhelm beginning students who feel they must come up with 100 bars at their first attempt.

The beauty of working within this framework is that it teaches you about phrases. Music has been compared to writing in the sense that it's made up of small phrases (like sentences) bigger sections.. periods of music (like paragraphs) and finally, complete movements (chapters).

Composers always think in sections because they know this is how music is constructed. - at least 99% of the music in the western world.

When you master the 8-bar phrase, you learn how to complete a section of music. And you learn that the art of composition has everything to do with repetition and contrast.

There's only so many times you can repeat an 8-bar phrase before it gets stagnant. Here is where we introduce new material - a contrasting section. Perhaps another 8-bars or so.

Another thing I have my students do is learn how to create a complete ABA form.

This musical form is the most common one used and it's also quite easy to create. Once the first 8-bar phrase is complete (the A section) it's time for some contrast. Maybe 4-bars… perhaps 8 or more will do the trick here. Finally, the first A section is repeated (with some variation) and that's that - a small ABA form is finished.

It's a good idea to master these small sections of music before delving into 400 bar compositions.

Play New Age Piano
http://www.quiescencemusic.com
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: eweiss] #1179406
04/13/09 04:34 AM
04/13/09 04:34 AM
Sweden
Andre van Haren Offline
Andre van Haren  Offline

Sweden
Very nice topic and very important to know this basic skill. It helped me in the past to understand music. A good thing to add would be the 2 different structures that are so typical in the classical music: Schönberg's definitions of Satz and Periode.

Satz: a musical sentence that is build in 3 parts; for example the beginning of Mozart's "Eine Kleine Nachtmusic".

Periode: a musical sentence that is build in 2 parts. For example Beethoven's piano sonata opus 2 nr. 1, movement 2.

There is more to say about the constructions of these 2 definitions but it's something to think about.

The example you are playing, would be defined as a Satz structure. Being aware of this you could choose then the change it into a Periode structure just to hear how that would sound.

André

Last edited by Andre van Haren; 04/13/09 04:41 AM.
Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: Andre van Haren] #1179410
04/13/09 05:07 AM
04/13/09 05:07 AM
The Netherlands
R
RowyVH Offline
RowyVH  Offline
R

The Netherlands
A nice idea, but I guess your students don't care much for the bar form. The bar form - two "Stollen" or "Aufgesang" followed by a "Abgesang" - is very common in classical oriented music.

Since it's a three part "satz", like Andre mentioned, you could get into trouble in an 8-bar phrase.

You might consider a 12 bar or a 6 bar phrase, unless you're used to standard chord progressions and you can't get them to fit in.

http://www.rowy.net/ - Download more than 2.000 free music scores.
Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: RowyVH] #1179425
04/13/09 05:52 AM
04/13/09 05:52 AM
Sweden
Andre van Haren Offline
Andre van Haren  Offline

Sweden
I believe that the 8 bar structure is only the beginning of understanding music and should not be stuck with for too long. It's good to feel how a phrase works yes, but always writing in 4 +4 or 8 + 8 can be limiting your fantasy. Schönberg gives many examples of the 8 bar structure that is being used by for example Schubert but shows then how Schubert expands on it by inserting or adding bars.

Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: Andre van Haren] #1179455
04/13/09 07:24 AM
04/13/09 07:24 AM
Munich, Germany
T
Tar Offline
Tar  Offline
T

Munich, Germany
Not to add that some of the loveliest melodies ever written are justifiably in irregular time, including the second movement to Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto and a lot of Poulenc. Musical surprise goes down very well with beauty smile

Tar Viturawong
Amateur composer and pianist
Known on YouTube as pianoinspiration
verbis defectis musica incipit
Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: Andre van Haren] #1179457
04/13/09 07:28 AM
04/13/09 07:28 AM
The Netherlands
R
RowyVH Offline
RowyVH  Offline
R

The Netherlands
To be quite honest, I think you should not suggest musicians that want to write music to use a certain pattern. Teach them harmony, counterpoint and whatever seems appropriate.

However, if you are fasinated by numbers, have a look at the work by Bach, like Das Wohltemperiertes Klavier, and start counting the measures of several phrases. Two of my colleagues wrote a book about it. If I'm not mistaken, they even discovered his year of death in one of his compositions crazy

Btw. I counted the measures in some of my works and I finally found one that has my date of death in it. I'm going to get very old, honestly!

Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: RowyVH] #1179638
04/13/09 01:50 PM
04/13/09 01:50 PM
Sweden
Andre van Haren Offline
Andre van Haren  Offline

Sweden
This has nothing to do with number writing. It has everything to do with being conscious what you are doing and have a grip on structures.

Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: Andre van Haren] #1179694
04/13/09 03:27 PM
04/13/09 03:27 PM
The Netherlands
R
RowyVH Offline
RowyVH  Offline
R

The Netherlands
"It has everything to do with being conscious what you are doing and have a grip on structures."

Yes. Sure. Okay. So?

In my opinion you do not suggest a student that he should write 8 bar phrases, of 9 bar, or 666. Students should study music theory, not tricks.

My teaching days are somewhat over, but when I was still pestering poor students I asked them to write at least one composition without the use of bars.

Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: RowyVH] #1179759
04/13/09 05:29 PM
04/13/09 05:29 PM
Near Dallas Texas
S
sudoplatov Offline
sudoplatov  Offline
S

Near Dallas Texas
One suggestion I have been given is to write something in a rhythm (like 5/4), not just to get a feel for the rhythm (which can be taken as either 3+2 or 2+3 beats) but to get a feeling for the melodic differences between a 5 beat measure and a more common 2 or 3 or 4 beat measure.

One may also experiment with taking a 4-bar (or 8-bar) phrase and extend it by the usual methods, add a measure, insert a measure, repeat a measure, prefix a measure, etc. One can then try to write a 5-bar phrase that's not constructed from a 4-bar phrase.

Re: How To Compose an 8-Bar Phrase [Re: sudoplatov] #1179995
04/14/09 03:12 AM
04/14/09 03:12 AM
The Netherlands
R
RowyVH Offline
RowyVH  Offline
R

The Netherlands
There seem to be different methods of teaching composition. I guess it has something to do with the kind of music one wants to write and one's background. I have mostly been working with students that were interested in "serious" music, or what you might call "contemporary" music, or "new classical music".

Most of them already studied harmony and some of them counterpoint. They were not interested in phrases. We analysed their compositions and works by other composers, like Chopin and Webern.

Perhaps 8-bar phrases are useful if you don't know much about harmony and you want to learn how to write New Age, or Easy Listening, or some other popular music - my apologies for my English. I probably don't use the right names.

I watched the video and I got the idea that it's mainly about writing a melody and an accompaniment of chords. One should however - just my humble opinion - compose the harmony as well.

Not that I write polyphonic music, but I studied counterpoint, instrumental and vocal, so to me harmony never is just an accompaniment of (broken) chords.

My compliments to the man who made the video though. He wants to help musicians with his knowledge. One should always respect that.

Moderated by  Piano World 

(ad)
Sweetwater - Keyboards
Sweetwater
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Success through failure: Thank you ABF
by Zilthy. 11/19/18 11:31 PM
Online lessons for advanced student viable?
by rach3master. 11/19/18 10:25 PM
Black Friday iOS Sales
by IosPlayer. 11/19/18 05:25 PM
Standard piano literature progression
by vetrano. 11/19/18 03:44 PM
Kawai CA87 key action noise in comparison
by Carebear. 11/19/18 02:11 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Petrof
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics188,423
Posts2,762,776
Members91,525
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Please Support Our Advertisers
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Sweetwater

PianoTeq Petrof
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission