2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
69 members (AndrewJCW, anotherscott, Carey, bohemiatotal, Abdol, accordeur, Calavera, 12 invisible), 837 guests, and 541 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Are there still US-made Baldwins pianos?
#1177224 04/09/09 07:09 AM
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
I was just reading around online and found an article that Gibson closed their Truman, Arkansas plant in December of last year (it seemed to be their facility for custom grands from the tone of the article, and the sign in front of the building.)

When I go to the Baldwin Pianos website, they still show US-made models as well as Imports under their pull-down menu. (What country do their Imports come from? Are they good pianos? There's not a dealer close enough around here to go plonk on one.)

Does that mean that Baldwin is still making pianos in the US, or that they've just not gotten around to updating their website (it happens, especially with back stock in the warehouses)?

I was being sort of wowed that they have a lifetime parts warranty on their new instruments (10 yrs on labor) which is a great selling point for folks who have warranty fears.

I was just curious for curiosity's sake: I don't work for them, I don't own one, I admit I've only played one Baldwin in my life (and it was a pretty decent piano just too big/ too expensive for my needs.) So I have no ulterior motive in asking, other than to learn something new smile

Thanks!

Inspiration is the act of pulling a chair up to the writing desk.
Pramberger JP-185 (a 6'1" mahogany-red Grand)+ Glenn Gould-ish piano chair (no cushion)
Re: Are there still US-made Baldwins pianos?
CozyWriter #1177232 04/09/09 07:21 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
As far as I know, the company closed their factory in Arkansas in December of 2008. It is still possible that they have some new instruments in stock that they are still selling. However, no new US-made instruments are currently built.

SeilerFan #1177238 04/09/09 07:37 AM
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Too bad, that. I'm not sure the value in "US Made" all on its own, as long as it's a good quality instrument that is going to hold up, hold a tune, and not start to sound like a mandolin 6 months after I buy it.

Now I'm going to have to call around to all my piano guys and tell them that if they get in a used 6000E that I want to play it before they sell it - to see what kind of sound and feel they have.

Pramberger JP-185 (a 6'1" mahogany-red Grand)+ Glenn Gould-ish piano chair (no cushion)
CozyWriter #1177258 04/09/09 08:13 AM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by CozyWriter
I'm not sure the value in "US Made" all on its own, as long as it's a good quality instrument that is going to hold up, hold a tune, and not start to sound like a mandolin 6 months after I buy it.

From my personal experience, having owned two German and one Korean piano, having played on a plethora of various instruments from Europe, Asia, America over the course of many years at concert halls, schools, universities etc. and at the Frankfurt music fair, it is my conviction that instruments made in the USA or Western Europe are usually of the highest quality (and no, I am not a professional musician, just an enthusiastic amateur). This might be a broad statement, but honestly I have not found a Chinese-made piano that could hold a candle to a fine American piano. Baldwin did a dangerous thing by diluting the reputation of their US-made instruments with Chinese-made instruments (the so-called non-US pianos on their website). Expect the US Baldwins to be great instruments (there were of course also reports of lemons, but in general the Baldwins were very fine instruments)! Stay away from the Chinese-made pianos if you are serious about playing.
The US Baldwins (especially when used) can be bought for a very reasonable amount right now with the company gone under and all of that.

Last edited by SeilerFan; 04/09/09 08:16 AM.
SeilerFan #1177305 04/09/09 10:38 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

1995 Baldwin L grand
2001 Baldwin Hamilton upright
Yamaha S90 synthesizer
www.larrylarsonpiano.com
YouTubeChannel www.youtube.com/LarryLarsonPiano
SeilerFan #1177322 04/09/09 11:26 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by SeilerFan
[...] The US Baldwins (especially when used) can be bought for a very reasonable amount right now with the company gone under and all of that.

That's not technically accurate. Even if all Baldwin pianos are now made overseas, it doesn't mean the company has "gone under."

The title of the thread to which Larry Larson linked—"The Slow Painful Death of the Baldwin Piano Company"—is misleading, too, FWIW.

I'm as disappointed as anybody that Artist Grands are no longer made in Trumann (and with the way the brand has been managed generally), but Baldwin isn't dead.

Steven

sotto voce #1177391 04/09/09 01:43 PM
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by sotto voce
.... but Baldwin isn't dead.
Steven

I truly hope that some day they will start building Artist Grands again. They were/are superb instruments with a warm and rich sound. I've played quite a few and loved them a lot. In theory, the brand name will never die (nor will the plans according to which they built the artist grands), but de facto, the American part of the company is currently dead. Let's hope for resurrection.

Larry Larson #1177605 04/09/09 09:36 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Larry Larson

What a fascinating story (Pramberger hate aside wink Granted I love my piano to death, but there's a certain amount of doofusity to try to compare a Pramberger to a Steinway (it's like a Motor Trend head-to-head between Lexus and the Toyota Prius, but I digress...)

So I guess the next question is (from January to April)... did they really-truely stop all production in the US? The one message said that they were cutting back, but not shut down completely.

When is NAMM? This is like a page-turner now! I want to hear about who shows up, what they show, and if Baldwin becomes a stencil. (Though I'm sure there's enough back stock to keep selling the American-made inventory probably through the end of this year, given the recession we're in.)

(Just THIS year??? At this point someone from Young Chang tells me there is still warehouse stock on new Prambergers from their licensure...)

CozyWriter #1177669 04/10/09 01:01 AM
R
R
I started not to respond to this post.

Baldwin did NOT go under. Yes, there are some pianos from the
U S in stock. They are all grands as far as I know. No verticals. Some of us have a couple of units still in stock that were made in the U S. The way to tell the difference is Baldwin does not have a dot over the I if it came from Trumann. If it came from China it was a dot over the I in the shape of a "C". Baldwin is the third largest manufacturer of pianos in the world. They employee over 2500 people globally.

I promised myself that I would not post this again but, I couldnt resist. I believe that Baldwin will continue to be in business for many years to come. On another interesting note, I am no longer a Baldwin dealer.

I hope this helps

Ric Overton
PianoSD.com
San Diego
ric@pianosd.com

Last edited by Ric Overton; 04/10/09 01:10 AM.

Ric Overton
Ric@PianoSD.com
http://PianoSD.com
Ric Overton #1177813 04/10/09 10:35 AM
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ric Overton
On another interesting note, I am no longer a Baldwin dealer.

How do they plan on selling pianos when they have no dealers? If they are the third largest manufacturer of pianos, they must have huge wharehouses to store their stock because you sure can't buy them.

In the last few months I've visited just about every dealer in the LA and Orange County area and never saw a Baldwin piano.

Gary
Plowboy #1177822 04/10/09 10:57 AM
S
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ric Overton
On another interesting note, I am no longer a Baldwin dealer.

It would be even more interesting if you told us why. smile

Steven

sotto voce #1177953 04/10/09 01:25 PM
R
R
The U S is not the only place in the world where pianos are sold. L A and Orange county are also not the only places in the U S that pianos are sold. I am not defending the company in any way. I have simply decided to move to a different line because of shipping issues, expenses and depth of available models.

I do not know why Baldwin has decided to not let PianoWorld know about their plans. I do not know why they have not decided to come out to the world about what they are doing. I do know that they are still in business and I no longer represent thier line at PianoSD.

Thats all I care to post about at this time.

Ric Overton
PianoSD.com
ric@pianosd.com
619-298-5313

Ric Overton
Ric@PianoSD.com
http://PianoSD.com
Plowboy #1178593 04/11/09 03:26 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
They're certainly around here in NC. I almost fell in love with a 6" grand.

CozyWriter #1179544 04/13/09 11:09 AM
Hi CozyWriter,...

Wow! I thought that this one at 9.8" is already the smallest piano,...
I can't imagine a 6" Baldwin grin

Regards,

Robert

Mason & Hamlin - A - 92514
Roland A-90 EX
"When you fall down,... pick up something!"
Robert H #1179673 04/13/09 02:45 PM
C
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
C
HA! Ooooh there's a bawdy joke in there that I can't publish during family hour smile

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
News from the Piano World
100,000!
---------------------
NEW! Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KAWAI CA79 METRONOME
by Giovanni Zanini - 01/16/21 01:43 PM
DIY Acoustical Digital Piano - algorithm
by stemPianist - 01/16/21 01:04 PM
First post. Question about Baldwin model R
by Gregory Waits - 01/16/21 11:29 AM
Garritans CFX Sample Player ???
by DigitalMusicProduc - 01/16/21 11:16 AM
The College Experience
by MinscAndBoo - 01/16/21 10:40 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics204,293
Posts3,047,341
Members100,078
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission