2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 12 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Anilan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hi everyone,

I've been seriously thinking about getting back into lessons since I stopped playing after I finished my Grade 8 RCM exam about 8 years ago.

Now, I want to return to lessons but with a different goal in mind: I just want to play 'better' (if that makes any sense). Basically, I want to play more advanced music purely for enjoyment without thinking about recitals or exams. I want to take lessons because I want someone to talk about my technique with, share music with and who can give me guidance since I have no one else who can provide me with that.

So, does this sound like a reasonable approach to restarting piano?

I've pretty much lost all my technique, can't sight read, can't play by ear and the only way I'm playing now is a lot of practice and try to mimic any recordings I have.

I'm in the process of trying to find a teacher in Vancouver BC if someone is willing to help me out. I don't know what exactly I'm looking for in a teacher, but I would like to play classical and pop.

Thanks!

Last edited by Anilan; 04/02/09 03:25 AM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
you could go to richmond music school which is currently using the premises of Richmond Alliance Church. They have alot of good & experienced piano teachers there.

www.richmondmusicschool.ca

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
you could go approach the staff at the music office and ask them to give you a reccomendation. I must warn you however that the best, highly-demanded teachers at that school will want to interview & audition you before they determine if they are willing/want to take you as a student.

My canada teacher worked there for quite a while and is going back soon, so i know the whole process.

Mastering:Chopin Etudes op.10 nos.8&12 and op.25 no.1, Chopin Scherzo no.4 in E major op.54, Mozart Sonata in B flat major K.333& Khachaturian Toccata
A
Anilan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks for the info, but I think I'm looking for something more casual and not so demanding of an environment. Not to mention that I probably don't have what it takes to audition! But I'll check it out nonetheless.

M
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
M
Anilan,
I'm sure there is a teacher out there for you. I don't know of teacher resources in CA, but there are several websites in the states that help connect students with teachers, like mtna.org, getlessonsnow.com, and even google. I just goggled "piano teacher vancouver" and came up with a bunch of listings. It will take some leg work, but first look for ones that seem to be legitimate businesses. Then call them up and ask if they teach adult students, and if you could meet with them for an interview. Many teachers do this for free. Be prepared to play something for them at this interview, and really define what you are looking for in a teacher, as well as what you want to get out of lessons. You may have to speak with several teachers over the phone before you find one that does teach adults, but it is well worth the effort. If a teacher doesn't have openings or does not teach adults, ask them if they can refer anyone who might. Most teachers know of other teachers in the area, and so they can be a good resource too. Best of luck!

private piano/voice teacher FT

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
B
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
We have a member here in the forums, "Pianoexcellence" Jeremy BA, ARCT, RMT - Tuning and Repairs from Abbotsford, BC, Canada.

Perhaps he can be of help to you? Isn't Abbotsford not too far away from Vancouver.

What about across the border in Blaine, WA?

You should bet some results from googling: your zip code or city along with the words piano teacher.

I think you are going to be glad you are back in piano lessons!

Betty

A
Anilan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Morodiene,

I'll definitely be making a list and calling them. However, I'm not looking to be learning to play exams or concerts or recitals so I'm not sure how that would affect the teachers' decisions for taking me on as a student.

Betty,

I don't know if I'm willing to make the 1+hour trip to either Abbotsford or Blaine just yet, but I will still consider it.

Thanks!

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Anilan
Thanks for the info, but I think I'm looking for something more casual and not so demanding of an environment. Not to mention that I probably don't have what it takes to audition! But I'll check it out nonetheless.

what i said does'nt apply to every teacher at that school! It depends, there are many different teachers who teach with different methods

A
Anilan Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Oh, that's good too! That school is on my list. Thanks

J
J
Hi Anilan, I am a teacher based in Vancouver, BC. I specialize in teaching contemporary music to beginners, with a focus on playing by ear. I just sent you a private message, please feel free to contact me.

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission