2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Colin Miles, bcalvanese, 20/20 Vision, booms, 36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 10 invisible), 1,924 guests, and 261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Thorium
JohnFrank: One of the few pieces I play. =) I like that you play it fairly slowly. Brings out the emotion well, which is tough with baroque pieces. The score (at least my copy) dictates Allegretto, which is what, 110-125ish? I usually play it around 120, but it's hard not to sound rushed and mechanical at that speed.

Thorium - funny you should bring this up - another poster of Baroque music here in the April Piano Bar & I just finished a lengthy, cordial and informative discussion via PMs concerning my tempo on the Krieger Minuet specifically, and the tempi of minuets in general. His version (shared in a PM) is faster than mine, but not as fast as yours. The tempo indication is Moderato in my source ("Essentail Keyboard Repertoire"). On the CD that accompanies this book the pianist plays it at a tempo somewhere between his version and mine. I recorded my version at 3 different tempi and submitted the slowest because I liked the way it sounded (bringing out the slightly dark & brooding textures of the music). Also, historically I believe the minuet, as danced, was a slow and stately dance and the music that accompanied it would have been similar. But, also as a strictly instrumental piece I believe that the typical tempo of the minuet varied quite a bit over time and from place to place. On the CD that I mentioned above are 16 minuets with a wide range of tempi probably bearing this out.

Compare the Krieger with Bach's Minuet in G, which, though marked Moderato (which is more or less the same as Allegretto, right?), actually sounds livelier and more natural at a slightly higher tempo.

If the "Minuet in G" is the very famous and frequently played one I am thinking of then please note that for the longest time it was erroneously atributed to J.S.Bach, but now a gentleman by the name of Christian Petzold is generally given credit for it's composition. Petzold also contributed other pieces to the famous "Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach".

I think it's the minor key of the Krieger minuet that makes us want to hear it Andante-ish; brings about a pensive, brooding state. It's a very pretty piece, at any rate.

I fully agree.

Regards, JF

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Bluekeys - I really like your tempo and chord choices. Very nice. I think you are quite apt.

BillM (formerly b528nf7)
Roland KR-17M
Baldwin R
Clavinova CLP-150
Piano Vocals of Old Guy Tunes
T
T
Originally Posted by John Frank

If the "Minuet in G" is the very famous and frequently played one I am thinking of then please note that for the longest time it was erroneously atributed to J.S.Bach, but now a gentleman by the name of Christian Petzold is generally given credit for it's composition. Petzold also contributed other pieces to the famous "Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach".

I thought the jury was still out on that? I'd certainly be happy to attribute it to Mr. Petzold. =)

Originally Posted by John Frank
His version (shared in a PM) is faster than mine, but not as fast as yours.

Yeah, mine turned out to be Allegro, around 140 bpm. I usually play it a little more slowly. I think I my tempo goes up with recording nerves! (I have insane stage fright.) Do you play the Petzold/Bach G-major one? Would be fun to compare interpretations.

Working on:
F�r Elise (all of it, ugh)
Prelude in C, BWV 846
Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure First (great finger exercise!)
BillM #1174360 04/04/09 12:43 PM
J
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
Gold Level
6000 Post Club Member
J
Peyton - I like this video, and the piano playing smile I think it's cool that everyone's kind of taken up the visuals - didn't Lisztener start that with the slide shows? Now if we can just get someone to accompany old silent movies laugh I'd love to do that, but am not quite at par for that course yet.

bluekeys - great rendition. Nice tempo, nice syncopations, great confident touch.

epf - I love harpsichord, and that was a fine piece.

Thorium - very charming, and nice ornaments. Nice balance between the hands.

Cathy

Cathy
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Perhaps "more music" is always the answer, no matter what the question might be! - Qwerty53
jotur #1174398 04/04/09 01:42 PM
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I'm really enjoying all the great submissions this month, especially those cool videos! Bill, I loved your playing/singing and the nostalgic look to your video with "On the Sunny Side of the Street". That's a great old song. smile

I still don't have a clue how to do videos myself yet, so here's just another MP3:

Send in the Clowns laugh
http://www.box.net/shared/nx1dbpvi57

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Do you play the Petzold/Bach G-major one? Would be fun to compare interpretations.

Yes - I worked on that a couple of months ago and had it down fairly well - since then I did the Krieger and am just about to finish up a neat little Minuet in G minor by our boy, good old Christian Petzold (also from the "Notebook").

If I get a chance (I'm currently working on 3 other pieces) I'll spend some time reviewing it and then record and upload it here. But, no promises smile

Regards, JF

Last edited by John Frank; 04/04/09 03:27 PM.

Every difficulty slurred over will be a ghost to disturb your repose later on. Frederic Chopin

Current favorite bumper sticker: Wag more, bark less.
Elssa #1174470 04/04/09 03:49 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Cheers and kudos to everyone who has already -- and it's only the 4th! -- helped to create such an entertaining piano bar. It's interesting and enjoyable to hear/see such a mix of works.

Deborah
Charles Walter 1500
Happiness is a shiny red piano.
[Linked Image]
Some old/new stuff for me : I have just bought a real piano, a sauter 108 : I love my roland hp201, but playing on a real piano is so different...

So to celebrate this and my first year of piano playing (I started in april 2008), I recorded some of the pieces I learned (with a few mistakes... ;-) ).

Prokofiev : The moon strolls in the meadow

(already recorded on the roland hp 201)
Chopin : Raindrop prelude

Laputa :

Nausica : Legend of Wind

Last edited by yoyofr; 04/04/09 04:46 PM.

Currently working on :
- Bach : Invention #8 in F major, BWV 779
- Debussy : Prelude #8, The Girl With The Flaxen Hair
[Linked Image]
yoyofr #1174514 04/04/09 04:54 PM
T
T
Lovely work, yoyofr! I love the Studio Ghibli/Miyazaki films too, and they're full of little musical gems. I remember adoring the credits theme in Spirited Away (Itsumo Nando?) If my singing voice were better, I'd play and sing that one all day.

Good luck on the Tiersen stuff. I used to play "Comptine d'un autre ete - L'apres midi" on my nylon, and will definitely learn the original piano version.

Thor

Last edited by Thorium; 04/04/09 05:20 PM. Reason: typo

Working on:
F�r Elise (all of it, ugh)
Prelude in C, BWV 846
Michael Nyman - The Heart Asks Pleasure First (great finger exercise!)
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Re comments:

Bill, Peyton, Knotty, Angelo, Jotur, Dennis, Bluekeys - thanks for listening and for the comments.

Peyton, I am playing from a lead sheet (melody notes plus chord symbols) only. And, uh, ... the truth is, she won't do dishes, even in my imagination!

Angelo, I have been taking lessons (once every other week) for almost three years now. Also had a year of lessons on the Hammond organ in the 1970s, and basic piano lessons as a kid in the 1940s. I now have the built-in excuse of being "too old" to learn anything I darn well don't feel like learning! (But, if I feel like learning it - well, then, "You're never too old"!)

Jotur, apparently her musical intelligence vastly exceeds her verbal intelligence. She can actually improvise a respectable melody over any set of chord changes, but do you think I can get her to say dooby dooby doo? Never! Maybe it's a union thing, I dunno.

Re new recordings:

HIMS - nice improv. Sounds bluesey but also Phillip Glass-ish.

Bluekeys - I try to stay out of the personal lives of my band members. (But between you and me, I have long suspected there's some hanky panky going on between Viv and my drummer. One senses these things.)

Bluekeys, very enjoyable, played smoothly, and with feeling!

Thorium, that's excellent for someone who just started! Well done.

Peyton, a beautiful melody and arrangement, executed perfectly, and so nicely integrated with the video! Makes a great commercial for Maine tourism!

Elssa, beautiful, moving. As usual, you have created an excellent introduction and ending! I learn a lot listening to you.

Yoyofr - great recordings! If you have only been playing for a year, you must practice 24/7, or have the world's greatest teacher. I especially enjoyed the Chopin.

Ed

http://edsjazzpianopage.blogspot.com/

My fingers are slow, but easily keep pace with my thoughts.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bluekeys

I feel like Fred Flintstone posting an MP3 with so many people now in the video age, but here is my humble attempt at the Beatles' Let It Be.

http://www.box.net/shared/2qn1s1n6ko

As usual there are a couple of mistakes and a nasty hesitation on one of the verse changes, but overall I'm satisfied considering my general beginner-ness and increasingly obvious lack of aptitude for this whole piano thingy.

No nasty hesitation was noticed by me,. Anything taht you may have seen as a nasty hesitation was evidently so minimal that it slipped by me unnoticed. Very enjoayble!

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Right. Picked up a plug converter in the city, so here goes:
http://www.box.net/shared/7tckc47apc

Might upload the Bach minuet for comparison. Be gentle! I only started a few weeks ago.

Btw, JohnFrank, I liked your enhanced ending-repeat. Nice touch.

Nice performance, Thorium!

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Peyton #1174598 04/04/09 08:56 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peyton
OK.... Here I go again. I got obsessed with trying to tie in my better recording gear with my video camera and I think I have it. This is a little melody I wrote about the salt marsh I have a little camp on here in Maine. I tied in some video of the marsh and the ducks and geese. I swear I'll keep this one up on youtube!

Yes, you do have a much better sound quality on that video. Nice video of the waterfowl, too! That's a very peaceful composition and fits your description well.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

Elssa #1174602 04/04/09 09:00 PM
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Elssa
I'm really enjoying all the great submissions this month, especially those cool videos! Bill, I loved your playing/singing and the nostalgic look to your video with "On the Sunny Side of the Street". That's a great old song. smile

I still don't have a clue how to do videos myself yet, so here's just another MP3:

Send in the Clowns laugh
http://www.box.net/shared/nx1dbpvi57

You had to ruin that beautiful piano playing with those nasty syn-strings, didn't you? laugh You know I'm kidding you, of course. Your arrangement on this is very possibly the best of your recorded work so far. I was drawn into this lovely melody by your playing. Truly wonderful!

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Elssa, that was beautifully done! Nice quality on the recording too. It must have been fun going back in with the strings?

Peyton #1174620 04/04/09 09:42 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Thorium... you only started a few weeks ago? You have it down! smile

Peyton #1174623 04/04/09 09:48 PM
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
yoyfr- It's hard to believe you have only been playing one year! That Raindrop prelude was very well done! I'd put even more forte into the storm part... go for it!

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
yoyofr,
Very nice recordings. I cannot believe you have only been playing a year. Congratulations on your great progress. You are obviously a musical genius (at least when compared to me). I love the Prokofiev piece. Of course Chopin's Raindrop Prelude is a favorite of just about everyone, and you did a grand job on it. Laputa is new to me, but it is quite beautiful. You did a fine job on it. Nausica: Legend of Wind is also new to me. It is an interesting piece and very well played. Thanks for sharing these. By the way, your new piano is gorgeous in both appearance and sound. I particularly like the way its treble sparkles.

Dennis
[Linked Image]
flickr

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
"It must have been fun going back in with the strings?"

Thanks so much, folks. smile I suppose I'm addicted to the strings and various other added sounds from my organ-playing days. I used to belong to several local electric/pipe organ clubs/groups. We would meet at different houses and other venues and go to concerts, such as at the Thomaston Opera House in CT. On occasion, the organ would be the background for wonderful silent movies, such as Laurel and Hardy. I can't tell you how much fun those days were. The strings are just a (bad?) habit with me, I guess. I do try not to overdo them, though. blush

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLA8DCqgVMs

Elssa #1174704 04/05/09 02:50 AM
Thanks for your kind feedback everyone smile
My teacher is probably not the best in the world, but I think he's not the worst either wink
He always focus on feeling the music before playing it, to know where you are
going and to stay calm, relaxed. I think I only start to understand this (after a year smile )...

Thorium, that's impressive, please keep posting your progress.
Elssa, that's very nice too! How do you proceed to add strings ?

Currently working on :
- Bach : Invention #8 in F major, BWV 779
- Debussy : Prelude #8, The Girl With The Flaxen Hair
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission