2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 1200s, akse0435, AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, 11 invisible), 1,855 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1172652 04/01/09 02:19 PM
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
There I was this morning, tuning away. The client had left for work, so I was alone in the house. I had this nagging feeling that someone was watching me. After about 30 minutes of being "alone", I heard a door close somewhere in the house. 15 minutes after that, the front door of the house opened (it was locked from the outside).

I finished tuning, packed up my stuff and started to leave the house...all the while feeling someone's eyes on my back. As I pulled out of the driveway, I forced myself NOT to look at the house, because I just knew I would see someone staring out the window at me.

I did leave a note for my client, telling her what happened.

Anyway...it freaked me out! This has happened a few other times in other people's homes. I'm beginning to wonder if someone is following ME!

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
There is a theory that pianos are not actually tuned, only the space that they occupy is tuned. Moving the piano or changing the humidity in this space separates the piano from the tuning. This is why very old pianos that have always occupied the same space stay in tune so well. They are well bonded with the space.

Also every time we tune a piano in the same place that it was the time before, we also become more bonded to that space.

I think that your tuning style may have bothered the bond with a tuner that is no longer with us and it had to leave the premises.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
Who taught the first chicken how to peck?
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D

OOOOOOOOO Creepy!

Did the "HOUSE" look like this!!!!?

Maybe it was your "SHADOW" following you! wink

[Linked Image]

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
E
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
E
No, the house didn't look quite like that! I think the house is a remodeled older house. The piano is only 2 years old, too. But, maybe the piano sits where an old square grand once sat (or stood).

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Eric Gloo
I did leave a note for my client, telling her what happened.

Anyway...it freaked me out! This has happened a few other times in other people's homes. I'm beginning to wonder if someone is following ME!

Well, hope the client replies back about your note!!!!

Let us know what they say? But, do you feel like something is following you out of "every" house?

This house I could understand, but a newly renovated house???

Keep us posted!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Diane...; 04/01/09 09:28 PM.

http://www.pianoworld.com/Uploads/files/goldsparkledress.jpg
Diane
Jazz/Blues/Rock/Boogie Piano Teacher
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Hey, can I have that piano? I think I could fix it up.

David L. Jenson
Tuning - Repairs - Refurbishing
Jenson's Piano Service
-----
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
That reminds me of what I think would be an interesting sermon for someone to give at a church. Take an old beat-up upright like that one (especially if it has a broken plate), show it to the congregation on one sunday, then a couple months later bring the same piano, newly rebuilt (including new plate, board, block, action, strings, finish, keys, etc). (Or, rather than requiring 2 sermons spaced a couple months apart, get 2 of the same make and model (preferably ones that if Larry Fine was writing his book in the 1890s to 1910s would be like a Tier 5D) and consecutive serial numbers. Leave one as-is, and rebuild the other one, and have both at church. (Possibly also have a Steinway S, Baldwin M or Mason B (built no later than 1940s, in original (but well cared for) condition) there for comparison, too.) He could probably tie it in with some spiritual / biblical subject, too.

1950 (#144211) Baldwin Hamilton
1956 (#167714) Baldwin Hamilton
You can right-click my avatar for an option to view a larger version.
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
2nd Corinthians chapter 12 verses 7 thru 10 would be my choice.

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Actually I was thinking something more along the lines of 1st Corinthians 6:9-11, 2nd Corinthians 5:17, Psalm 9:1, Psalm 40:5, for example.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think it makes sense for tuning a piano to bring out any lingering spirits in the area since music can trigger so many of our lifetime memories. They may also be curious if they had never seen a piano being tuned during their lifetime.

The sermon suggestions remind me of the poem "The Touch of the Master's Hand" where a troubled soul is compared to a battered, dusty violin that appears to have no value until someone dusts it off, gives a little tuning and shows what beautiful music it's still capable of making.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Or just plain Rev 21:5

Jeff Deutschle
Part-Time Tuner
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by UnrightTooner
Or just plain Rev 21:5
Nice one Jeff! How did I overlook that one?!?

Originally Posted by Little_Blue_Engine
The sermon suggestions remind me of the poem "The Touch of the Master's Hand" where a troubled soul is compared to a battered, dusty violin that appears to have no value until someone dusts it off, gives a little tuning and shows what beautiful music it's still capable of making.
I've actually heard a song with that set to music. I think it'd be interesting to splice recordings of two identical make and model, consecutive serial number pianos together, one in horrible condition, the other in new condition. The song starts in the key of G, then I think goes to A near the end. I was thinking start it in the key of G on the old beater piano (which, due to the piano being so far out of tune, would actually sound like the key of F), and use that piano until the phrase "he tightened up the strings", then fade / "key change" to the rebuilt piano and finish the song with that. (And the old beater piano should have the unisons (most, if not all of them) be AT LEAST as out of tune with itself as the more sour ones this piano (preferably with a tone like this one) or this piano, or something similar.

Last edited by 88Key_PianoPlayer; 04/02/09 06:57 PM.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Several years ago I was in a college concert hall late at night regulating a SD10. The stage was lit but the hall was dark. I kept noticing shadows, things moving at different spots in the dark hall. I called out a few times, no answer. I was certain there were more that one person out there silently watching or moving back and forth without a sound. Began to [censored] me off. So I went backstage and found the house lights. In the hall floated, near deflated and just above the seats,a half dozen mylar helium balloons. It was the beginning of the year and visitors day earlier and balloons were handed out to the freshman.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
At my previous home which was also a secluded retirement-care facility we had monitored cameras mounted in all the rooms and hallways. In the room I had my piano set up, the camera was behind me in a corner and every time I played the piano a white, whispy smoke like "entity" appeared and seemed to move around the room. When a recording of it was shown to me the hair rose up on the back of my neck. As many people had passed away over the years in our home from old age, we always kind of joked about "ghosts" remaining and the house being haunted. To make a long story short, I checked out the camera and had found that a spider spun a web near the lens and one side of it broke loose. As I moved with playing the music, it was enough to disturb the air and make the web swing around in front of the lens. Being so close to the lens it was out of focus and appeared to look like dancing smoke.

Piano Technician
George Brown College /85
Niagara Region

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission