2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 10 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1171876 03/31/09 07:21 AM
A
AJuff Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hello,

I am new to the forum and I hope to learn lots on here.
I am looking to upgrade from a digital piano to a baby grand as my three children have progressed well and now need the real thing. We have tried lots of pianos, more Weber and Yamaha and Kawai than other makes. We really like the Kawai grands as they sound less bright than the Yamaha and have a nice feel to the keys unlike the Weber.

We are restricted to size the max we can fit in is 164cm. 150/154cm would be an even better fit. Price limits us to the GM10 and GE20 and 30. Having only had the opportunity to play the GM10 can anyone tell me if there is a great deal of difference betweent them?

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had a GM12, and wasn't happy with the sound, so I'm assuming that the GM10 would be even worse. I've never played any of the GE series, but I've heard that they are a step up from the GMs.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
In my limited experience with the Kawai line the GM-10 was a great 5' piano. The GE-30 being longer sounded much better, but still had a bit of that short piano sound on the lowest notes. For me the RX-2 was where the bass got real. Before you limit yourself to a 5 1/2 foot instrument I'd suggest getting the templates from your dealer. This will let you know what size piano you can really fit. To bottom line it the GE-30 is a great piano for its size, but I liked the RX2 better.

Steve Chandler
composer/amateur pianist

stevechandler-music.com
http://www.soundcloud.com/pantonality
http://www.youtube.com/pantonality
N
N
Originally Posted by Steve Chandler
In my limited experience with the Kawai line the GM-10 was a great 5' piano. The GE-30 being longer sounded much better, but still had a bit of that short piano sound on the lowest notes. For me the RX-2 was where the bass got real. Before you limit yourself to a 5 1/2 foot instrument I'd suggest getting the templates from your dealer. This will let you know what size piano you can really fit. To bottom line it the GE-30 is a great piano for its size, but I liked the RX2 better.

What Steve said! The RX-2 is really worth trying if you can squeeze in 178 cm.

Good luck with your search.

Nicholas B.

Steinway B (1912 rebuilt)
Kawai RX-2 (2008)
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
AJuff,

I had a GE 30 for a few months before trading it back for an RX 2. I can't really tell the larger piano takes up that much more room. But if you are squeezing to accommodate the GE 30, I see where it might be an issue.
The GE 30 is a very nice sounding piano and I would rather have it than the smaller ones you have mentioned. Usually you will find that the members of the forum suggest you get the largest piano that will fit your space and budget. The GM 10 doesn't have the Millennium III Action from what I remember nor does it have the slow fall fall board.

David

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
you can always squeeze in as few moire inches

you have to have priorities. Some people get rid of their sofas!

accompanist/organist.. a non-MTNA teacher to a few

love and peace, Õun (apple in Estonian)
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
If you could stetch financially a little further and consider an RX1, you would be investing in a higher quality, better sounding piano. The RX1 would still meet your space constraints.

Good luck with you choice!

Robert.

W
W
Just out of curiosity, why not also look at high-quality uprights? They'll meet your space requirements and will sound better than little grands (at least in my limited experience).

We have also just purchased a piano for our kids. Their teacher was very adamant: if buying a grand, it had to be at least 5'7". Anything smaller, buy a 48" or 52" upright instead.

Yes, the feel of the action is different, but this difference isn't as significant in the better uprights.

So, it seems that the GE30 is close enough, but for training their ears, a big upright would be better than the smaller grands. And less expensive!

Note that the above is my opinion only, not fact. This opinion was formed based on what I was told by my kids' teacher as well as by several of my piano-playing friends and, of course, by listening to pianos during our buying adventure. There are also several threads on big uprights versus little grands elsewhere in the forum...

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
RX-2 if you can stretch your budget and stretch your room. You won't be sorry.

Good luck,

Bear

Barry J "Bear" Arnaut ♫
46 Years in the Piano Industry
Retired Kawai/Shigeru Kawai Regional Manager
(My posts and threads are my opinions only)
What about a RX-3 ? =)

[Linked Image]
What about a RX-4? :-P

I mean a Mazda vintage Rx-4 ... lol!

Nepotism: We promote family values here - almost as often as we promote family members.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
But wait, why not an RX-6?

No, really, the GE-20, though only an inch bigger than the GM-10/ GM-12 models, is different in construction and is a very different instrument. The bass is not really deep sounding, of course, but the action is excellent and the tone, with a little quality prep work especially, is even and has better dynamic range.

Don Mannino RPT, MPA
Originally Posted by supersport
AJuff,

I had a GE 30 for a few months before trading it back for an RX 2. I can't really tell the larger piano takes up that much more room. But if you are squeezing to accommodate the GE 30, I see where it might be an issue.
The GE 30 is a very nice sounding piano and I would rather have it than the smaller ones you have mentioned. Usually you will find that the members of the forum suggest you get the largest piano that will fit your space and budget. The GM 10 doesn't have the Millennium III Action from what I remember nor does it have the slow fall fall board.
Hi there, I also had the GE30, but traded it for the RX2. The RX2 has a better low end bass and overall nice scale design. However, I would advise this person to highly consider the GE30 as it is a lovely piano with a georgeous sound and touch. It is by far THE BEST baby grand available at this price range. Forget all the other smaller Kawai grands.

Kawai RX6 Semi Concert Grand
Roland HP-335 Digital Piano
Korg Red PA700 Professional arranger keyboard
Go for the Kawai GE30! Do not under any circumstances buy any of the other smaller Kawai grands or the Yamaha smaller grands. All these smaller ones are too lacking in tonal quality and have a poor bass response. For a baby grand, the GE30 is FANTASTIC! It has resonance and a nice overall tone. The GE30 is an excellent baby grand piano for a reasonalbe price. You will NOT be dissapointed. Oh - and the action is superb!

Kawai RX6 Semi Concert Grand
Roland HP-335 Digital Piano
Korg Red PA700 Professional arranger keyboard

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission