Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 2.7 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
What's Hot!!
Mr. PianoWorld - the full interview
-------------------
European Tour for Piano Lovers
JOIN US FOR THE TOUR!
--------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Find a Professional
Our Classified Ads
Find Piano Professionals-

*Piano Dealers - Piano Stores
*Piano Tuners
*Piano Teachers
*Piano Movers
*Piano Restorations
*Piano Manufacturers

Advertise on Piano World

(ad)
Piano Buyer Guide
Piano Buyer Spring 2018
ad
Pierce Piano Atlas

Who's Online Now
72 registered members (anamnesis, Astropiano, beeboss, belcanto2, Agent88, AnnInMiami, accordeur, 20 invisible), 1,361 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Quick Links to Useful Piano & Music Resources
Quick Links:
*Advertise On Piano World
*Free Piano Newsletter
*Online Piano Recitals
*Piano Recitals Index
*Piano & Music Accessories
*Live Piano Venues
*Music School Listings
* Buying a Piano
*Buying A Acoustic Piano
*Buying a Digital Piano
*Pianos for Sale
*Sell Your Piano
*How Old is My Piano?
*Directory/Site Map
*Virtual Piano
*Music Word Search
*Piano Videos
*Virtual Piano Chords & Scales
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
How not to buy edited Hanon book? #1168896
03/25/09 11:05 PM
03/25/09 11:05 PM
Ohio
S
survivordan Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
survivordan  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S
Ohio
I would like to buy the Hanon book of 60 excersizes, you all know the one. I would like a spiral bound copy. I want to make sure it's the real Hanon, though, not edited to make it easier. If a description says 'reviewed' or 'edited' by so-and-so, does that mean it's not the real thing? Most of the spiral bound books were 'edited/reviewed, etc.' by someone, and most of the not-edited ones weren't spiralbound. Where can I find what I need?

~SD

Working On:

BACH: Invention No. 13 in a min.
GRIEG: Notturno Op. 54 No. 4
VILLA-LOBOS: O Polichinelo

Next Up:

BACH: Keyboard Concerto in f minor
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: survivordan] #1168905
03/25/09 11:17 PM
03/25/09 11:17 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
Keep in mind that Hanon died in 1900 and that his exercises were published in the 19th Century. Therefore, any edition of his works that is available now will undoubtedly have been compiled and/or edited by a modern editor. All the editions of Hanon that I have seen are pretty well identical in the actual exercises, although the comments or introductory notes may be different, depending on when they were published; they may reflect how those particular editors view some of the "out-dated" suggestions of M. Hanon in Hanon's original introduction.

I've not seen any edition of Hanon that's been made "easier." I have seen some of the 60 exercises published in separate books as Parts I, II, and III, although you can easily find the "complete" Hanon in 60 exercises in almost any music store. I have also seen "variants" on Hanon, exercises based on Hanon but made more difficult or more complex by introducing different rhythms into the exercises.

As far as being the real Hanon, it's not as if you're dealing with an obscure text with multiple and somewhat dubious sources. In this instance "edited by..." may be somewhat of a misnomer; what's to edit? They are five-finger exercises. For all intents and purposes, Hanon is Hanon; buy the one that is the most convenient for you.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: BruceD] #1168917
03/25/09 11:31 PM
03/25/09 11:31 PM
Ohio
S
survivordan Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
survivordan  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S
Ohio
So would this be a good choice?

Sheetmusicplus.com - Hanon by Alfred Publsg.

Working On:

Next Up:

Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: survivordan] #1168921
03/25/09 11:43 PM
03/25/09 11:43 PM
SE Michigan
D
DaveInMichigan Offline
DaveInMichigan  Offline
D
SE Michigan
Like what BruceD said, there isn't much that an editor can edit on Hanon's exercise, but I guess each publication somehow has to "adverstise" and claim something. I have seen an edition that says they have a better translation of Hanon's words so they match better to his original meaning. smile

The edition you showed should be fine. I don't have it, but someone recommended it to me recently.

Dave
(ad ) MusicNotes.com
sheet music search
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: DaveInMichigan] #1168956
03/26/09 01:04 AM
03/26/09 01:04 AM
Pacific Northwest, US.
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
argerichfan  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Pacific Northwest, US.
I've always recommended the Peters Edition edited by Weinreich. (1987) The originals are abbreviated, i.e. just the first few ascending measures, the measures reversing direction, and the last two measures bringing the exercise to a close. This is good: one's eyes should be on the fingers, not the printed page.

After every exercise, variants are given based on the contours of the original. Frankly, some of them are unnecessarily complex to be of much use (with resultant lost time in learning and memorizing), but a number of the variants I have found very valuable and rather fun to practice.

Jason
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: survivordan] #1168970
03/26/09 01:52 AM
03/26/09 01:52 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by survivordan

I'm sure it would be a good choice.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: BruceD] #1169063
03/26/09 08:31 AM
03/26/09 08:31 AM
Iowa City, IA
Kreisler Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Kreisler  Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Iowa City, IA
There is a popular "easy" edition of Hanon called "Junior Hanon" that Alfred publishes. The exercises are basically the same, but it's notated in eighth notes instead of sixteenth notes and only includes volume 1 and the "greatest hits" of 2 and 3.

"If we continually try to force a child to do what he is afraid to do, he will become more timid, and will use his brains and energy, not to explore the unknown, but to find ways to avoid the pressures we put on him." (John Holt)

www.pianoped.com
www.youtube.com/user/UIPianoPed
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: survivordan] #1169150
03/26/09 11:03 AM
03/26/09 11:03 AM
Dallas, TX
packa Offline
1000 Post Club Member
packa  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Dallas, TX

I just looked in my music library and I have this very edition. It's fine: perfectly authentic and a well-printed and very readable edition.

Paul Buchanan
Estonia L168 #1718
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: packa] #1169173
03/26/09 11:31 AM
03/26/09 11:31 AM
Ohio
S
survivordan Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
survivordan  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S
Ohio
I only wish that one had a better cover, like the ones with the drab/tan cover and HANON written really big on the front. But, alas, I will get that one. Maybe I'mm print the off the imslp.org coverpage onto some cardstock and laminate it and put it on in the origional's place.

Working On:

Next Up:

Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: survivordan] #1169187
03/26/09 11:46 AM
03/26/09 11:46 AM
♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
pno Offline
1000 Post Club Member
pno  Offline
1000 Post Club Member
♪oron♪o, on♪ario, canada...
Make sure you get an "Urtext" edition. LOL

♫♫♫ ♫♫♫
YAMAHA C2M PE
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: survivordan] #1169191
03/26/09 11:53 AM
03/26/09 11:53 AM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
I only wish that one had a better cover, like the ones with the drab/tan cover and HANON written really big on the front. But, alas, I will get that one. Maybe I'mm print the off the imslp.org coverpage onto some cardstock and laminate it and put it on in the origional's place.

First you fretted about getting the real Hanon and it had to be spiral; now you're concerned (alas!) about the cover?

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: pno] #1169199
03/26/09 12:03 PM
03/26/09 12:03 PM
Puyallup, Washington
B
Betty Patnude Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Betty Patnude  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
B
Puyallup, Washington
We seem to have 2 Hanon topics going today - the other one is the Adult Beginners Forum and is "Which Hanon Book".

I have brought my posting in that thread to this thread so that readers don't miss this information. Sorry to be repetitive in two places.

This is what I posted there:

How about this?

Google: Hanon

Hanon pdf FREE comes up among other sites listed.

Free! Mind you! Complete, too!

It's written in 1/16ths notes, not 1/8th notes, but it very helpful if you:
1) capture the "task" in the first measure,
2) duplicate it by ascending to the "turn around" (mid-point)
3) descend and then know the "ending" measure.

Section 1 is very easy to grasp and get off the paper with your own pattern recognition.

I have found the #1-8, and then the #10 are very helpful to pianists working for the first time in unison hand playing, learning to recognize patterns, and gaining finger dexterity and consistancy in tempo. I would consider this the 1st and essential packet of Hanon to begin with.

Betty Patnude

Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: BruceD] #1169206
03/26/09 12:11 PM
03/26/09 12:11 PM
Ohio
S
survivordan Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
survivordan  Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
S
Ohio
Originally Posted by BruceD

First you fretted about getting the real Hanon and it had to be spiral; now you're concerned (alas!) about the cover?

Bruce, that was kind of a joke, LOL smile

Working On:

Next Up:

Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: survivordan] #1169349
03/26/09 05:08 PM
03/26/09 05:08 PM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
San Jose, CA
I use the Schermer edition. The engraving is ok, the book opens flat and stays there (once you break it in), it is compact and complete... and I think it was about ten bucks.

The cover is not going to help (or harm) your technique, but any copy shop can re-bind it with whatever cover you like, and with a comb or spiral binding.

This advice about having your hands on the fingers has me worried--- have I been so seriously misguided to spend all that sweat to get my eyes off the keyboard and onto the music? Doing it the other way had turned into a real problem for me. I hope the guy who posted this advice is joking with you--- I can't tell.

Clef

Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: Jeff Clef] #1169406
03/26/09 07:07 PM
03/26/09 07:07 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by Jeff Clef
[...]This advice about having your hands on the fingers has me worried--- [...]

That has me worried, too. I have fingers on my hands, but no hands on my fingers; does that make me some sort of physical anomaly? shocked

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: Jeff Clef] #1169411
03/26/09 07:29 PM
03/26/09 07:29 PM
Pacific Northwest, US.
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
argerichfan  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Pacific Northwest, US.

This advice about having your hands on the fingers has me worried--- have I been so seriously misguided to spend all that sweat to get my eyes off the keyboard and onto the music? Doing it the other way had turned into a real problem for me. I hope the guy who posted this advice is joking with you--- I can't tell.

What are you talking about? If you are referring to my post (which means you didn't properly read it) I said: one's eyes should be on the fingers, not the printed page. That simply means that 5 finger exercises are most beneficial when one is concentrating on what the fingers are doing, not staring at a printed page. What could be clearer?

I realize you were trying to be cute in your post, but I found it rather insulting.

Jason
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: packa] #1169414
03/26/09 07:34 PM
03/26/09 07:34 PM
Horowitzian Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Horowitzian  Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by packa

I just looked in my music library and I have this very edition. It's fine: perfectly authentic and a well-printed and very readable edition.

That's the edition I use; works nicely for me!

Close only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and nuclear weapons.
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: Horowitzian] #1169477
03/26/09 10:13 PM
03/26/09 10:13 PM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
San Jose, CA
agerichfan (Jason) wrote: "What are you talking about? If you are referring to my post (which means you didn't properly read it) I said: one's eyes should be on the fingers, not the printed page. That simply means that 5 finger exercises are most beneficial when one is concentrating on what the fingers are doing, not staring at a printed page. What could be clearer?

I realize you were trying to be cute in your post, but I found it rather insulting."

I mis-typed. Actually, I understood what you were trying to say (I think). I have had to learn to keep my eyes on the music and let my hands learn to do without "watching" them. No intention to insult your technique. If it's working for you, why should anyone mind?

Clef

Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: Jeff Clef] #1169558
03/27/09 02:03 AM
03/27/09 02:03 AM
Pacific Northwest, US.
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
argerichfan  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Pacific Northwest, US.

I mis-typed.

Well okay, but you might want to be a bit more careful in the future, as your post came off as somewhat of a character assassination. I'm disappointed in BruceD for blithely responding without (apparently) rereading the post you were commenting on.

I am not a concert pianist, nor have I ever taught piano, and it is very, very seldom that I ever dispense any pianistic advice on this forum for that very reason. My strengths lie in knowledge of the repertoire, though I did study piano at university level for several years before eventually switching to organ and church music.
Actually, I understood what you were trying to say (I think). I have had to learn to keep my eyes on the music and let my hands learn to do without "watching" them.

I'm not entirely certain you really understood what I was trying to say, though your response above indicates a bit of confusion about the issue of looking, or not looking at the hands.

It basically breaks down to this:

1. Five finger exercises (as in Hanon, or the more advanced Dohnanyi) yield the best results when the exercise is immediately memorized and one concentrates on looking at the hands to be sure the exercise is practiced properly, preferably (in the initial stages) hands separate.

2. Practice and experience in sight reading is best accomplished without looking at the hands. Trust me, you will never be a good sight reader if you continually look at your hands.

3. The big gray area: learning actual repertoire. This will necessarily be a combination of the two. Look at the score to determine the composer's intentions, then look at your fingers to make certain that you are accomplishing the composer's intentions. Yes, it's a lot of work, and there is no easy equation between the two, but who said piano playing was easy anyway.

I think I have the basic premise correct here, though experienced piano teachers could certainly elaborate. But if any of them disagree with looking at the hands during five finger exercises, or disagree with not looking at the hands when sight reading... well then (no IMHO here!) that is a charlatan to be avoided. My experience, and so much of what I have read, simply does not back that up.

Whatever level you are at, I certainly wish you the best... and cheers...

Jason
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: argerichfan] #1169790
03/27/09 01:58 PM
03/27/09 01:58 PM
Victoria, BC
BruceD Offline
Gold Subscriber
BruceD  Offline
Gold Subscriber
Victoria, BC
Originally Posted by argerichfan

I mis-typed.

Well okay, but you might want to be a bit more careful in the future, as your post came off as somewhat of a character assassination. I'm disappointed in BruceD for blithely responding without (apparently) rereading the post you were commenting on. [...]

Jeff is accused of character assassination (!) and then I'm "accused" of not reading the original post? Oh, really!

I think it probably was evident to anyone reading, however casually, that Jeff Clef 'mis-typed' - could it be because he was watching his hands instead of reading what he was typing? We all read that you said one should be watching the hands instead of the printed score, and I think we can be pretty sure that's what JC meant to type.

And, yes, you have every right, perhaps, to be disappointed at my lame attempt at humour in this thread, but, really, aren't you making unfounded assumptions when you state that I (apparently) didn't read the post refered to, and aren't you over-reacting to a somewhat flippant response to your post by another member by calling it "character assassination"?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: BruceD] #1169801
03/27/09 02:17 PM
03/27/09 02:17 PM
Pacific Northwest, US.
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
argerichfan  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Pacific Northwest, US.
Originally Posted by BruceD
and aren't you over-reacting to a somewhat flippant response to your post by another member by calling it "character assassination"?

Well, the 'flippant' character of that post was not immediately evident to me, at least until Clef replied. I thought I had made an honest point about practicing 5 finger exercises and didn't appreciate it being made fun of.

Jason
Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: argerichfan] #1169821
03/27/09 02:44 PM
03/27/09 02:44 PM
San Jose, CA
Jeff Clef Offline
4000 Post Club Member
Jeff Clef  Offline
4000 Post Club Member
San Jose, CA
Not making fun of you, Jason--- not to worry.

You know, I do think there's a stage where looking at the hands is a good thing to do. My teacher wants me to look at how they're held, how the keys are struck (arm weight, what part of the finger hits the key), how the hands rotate. She even has a mirror so you can see the whole-body posture. Then there's making sure the fingering is what you think you're doing.

Once you memorize a piece, it hardly matters where you look. But, to correct my problem of depending on the eyes instead of having the fingers "know" (and then losing my place in the music), I try to keep to the discipline of following the score.

It seems that, at least, we agree on the value of using Hanon.

Clef

Re: How not to buy edited Hanon book? [Re: Jeff Clef] #1170016
03/27/09 08:47 PM
03/27/09 08:47 PM
Pacific Northwest, US.
A
argerichfan Offline
9000 Post Club Member
argerichfan  Offline
9000 Post Club Member
A
Pacific Northwest, US.

It seems that, at least, we agree on the value of using Hanon.

No problem my good mate. Thanks for your contributions. smile

Jason

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

New In Our Store!
New In Our Store!
key racks with hand sanitizer
Attn: Piano Teachers, Music Teachers, Studios!

A rack made from actual piano keys, with individual hand sanitizer for each student!
Tons more music related products in our online store!
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Buzzing sound and strange white repair on soundboard
by Swedishnerd. 09/23/18 06:01 PM
Galaxy Vintage D - still has pedaling issues?
by clavichords. 09/23/18 05:10 PM
Roland D-05 startup patch
by EVC2017. 09/23/18 04:19 PM
Adding a pianodisc silent piano system to a steinway
by graham.morrison795. 09/23/18 03:13 PM
(ad)
Pianoteq
PianoTeq Steingraeber
Forum Statistics
Forums40
Topics187,454
Posts2,747,382
Members91,075
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
(ad)
Accu-Tuner
Sanderson Accu-Tuner
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter |

copyright 1997 - 2018 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission