2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
76 members (36251, accordeur, apianostudent, brdwyguy, Bostonmoores, benj.ma, bobrunyan, anotherscott, AlphaTerminus, 13 invisible), 1,075 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I actually have attended and performed many musical events that require hours of concentration. I personally like it that way. A friend of mine composed a 5 hour electronic piece and gave a small concert for about 15-20 friends. My butt (and ears) did end up hurting then, but he just laughed when I asked him to play it again! laugh

"Beauty is unbearable, drives us to despair, offering us for a minute the glimpse of an eternity that we should like to stretch out over the whole of time."

-Albert Camus,

Jim
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by L'echange
I actually have attended and performed many musical events that require hours of concentration. I personally like it that way. A friend of mine composed a 5 hour electronic piece and gave a small concert for about 15-20 friends. My butt (and ears) did end up hurting then, but he just laughed when I asked him to play it again! laugh

5 hours!! Were they still his friends at the end of the perofrmance? smile

Were these mostly/all contemporary music performances? How was your concentration at the end?

W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by sophial
Originally Posted by rrb
I can't think of an active pianist who has given so much time and thought to the Beethoven Sonatas. His articulation and attention to detail is quite astonishing.

The final trio are (reputed to be) his personal favorites, so next week should be quite an experience, which I hope you will share with those of us not able to be present.

How about Barenboim and Goode? I'd take either of them over Schiff.

Why choose? They all have something to offer. As do Brautigam, Ohlsson, Paik, Lewis, and who knows how many others who are playing lots of Beethoven these days (as well as many recordings from people no longer with us). I ain't picky; I'll take insights from wherever I can get them.

rrb Offline
Originally Posted by sophial
How about Barenboim and Goode? I'd take either of them over Schiff.

This is what I wrote, and stand by.

Originally Posted by rrb
I can't think of an active pianist who has given so much time and thought to the Beethoven Sonatas.

I did not mean to imply that 'giving time and thought' of itself makes someone the finest 'active' interpreter. We could argue this forever, probably on a Sonata by Sonata basis, and certainly, Barenboim's name would feature prominently in any such debate.

Schiff's 'time and thought' was driven by a desire to reproduce as faithfully as possible on a modern instrument the effects Beethoven wished to create. Personally, I believe this lends his interpretations an integrity and character that is unusual. This does not mean they are either the most appealing, or 'the best'. This will always be a matter of individual taste.

I do find it inspiring, though, that a pianist can hold a large audience through three Sonatas composed almost 200 years ago, and played in succession without a break. This speaks volumes, if not for Schiff, then certainly for Beethoven.

On this we can, perhaps, agree?

Rob
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Of course. Schiff has many virtues, among them care and thought. However, I find his interpretations overly fussy and his personality at the piano a bit pedantic, so overall he is a less appealing performer in my book than some of the others mentioned. Kudos to him for what he is accomplishing and perhaps if I heard these recent (and upcoming) concerts I'd change my mind.

Sophia

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
When listening to Schiff, I sometimes feel that I suffer from a bit of oversxposure to his ubiquitous didactic clips. His lectures and masterclasses are easily accessible and quite interesting, informative and sometimes even awe-inspiring. Somehow though, they backfire when I listen to his music. I can never chase his "master" (slightly cranky one too) image out of my mind when I watch or listen to him ("tempo!!", "yum pa pa ..") .. Mind you I do enjoy his concerts.. weird!

I wonder if the not too uncommon "bland" description of his sonatas, despite the rave reviews by critics, has something to do with his "clinical" or analytical approach.. There is no pleasing music fans, I guess..

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I sometimes feel with Schiff, even during the beethoven lectures. That he would talk about how witty something was or humorous, but he would play it very dull.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning and strong emotions...
by CianistAndPomposer - 09/16/21 06:21 PM
Gift Piano from Elton John?
by JohnSprung - 09/16/21 04:54 PM
Kawai ES520 user's own thread
by 36251 - 09/16/21 04:11 PM
For those who love Martha Argerich...
by AaronSF - 09/16/21 03:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,142
Posts3,132,749
Members102,751
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission